Road tire life span



D

David Damerell

Guest
James Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>Stick a dollar bill or a small piece of plastic milk jug in your
>saddlebag and wrap some duct tape around your pump body. Those all make
>excellent tire boots.


So does a length of an old tyre with the bead cut off, FWIW.
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?
 
M

Matt O'Toole

Guest
cheg wrote:

> I have been running Conti Ultra Gatorskins on my road bike and lost
> the front one to a sidewall blowout last week. I noticed that he rear
> tire is worn through most of the tread pattern after about 1400 miles
> so I replaced them both. Is that a reasonable life span for quality
> tires? I'm curious how often people normally replace tires.


A normal life span is at least 2000, and probably closer to 3000 miles, for
modern, road-race-oriented tires. Durability-oriented tires last longer than
that, but may not be as fast or smooth.

Some tires have very thin tread, in the interests of low weight and rolling
resistance. But this kind of gram-shaving is silly -- some of the fastest tires
are also the most durable. Note the RR and durablity results cited for Avocets,
for example.

With all the touble people seem to have with Continentals, I don't understand
why they continue to buy them. I see Contis with frayed sidewalls all the time,
held together with Shoe Goo. Thse people ride the same roads as I do, and I
never have tire trouble.

I've been very happy with the Vittoria Open Corsa CX. They came with my bike,
and I thought they were fragile race tires that I'd wear out or destroy soon.
This has proven not to be the case. I have about 2000 miles on them now, with
just one puncture, no cuts, and the rear is just starting to square off. They
look like they'll go another 500-1000 miles. They're some of the best riding,
fastest tires I've ever used. No problems in the wet either. It's very hilly
around here, with lots of rough pavement, which can be hard on tires. I'd
definately buy the Vittorias again, but only on sale (they're expensive).

My friend uses Hutchinson Carbon Comps, and gets maybe 2000 miles out of them.
But he buys them on sale for under $20 each. Nashbar has had some pretty good
tires on sale lately for as little as $10-15 -- Panaracer, etc. If your tires
will be destroyed by cuts anyway, it probably makes no sense to pay for extra
tread life.

Michelin Carbon are advertised as durable and cut resistant, as well as fast and
comfortable. 3500-4000 miles for $30-35, and widely available. Anyone using
these?

Matt O.
 
R

Rick Onanian

Guest
>"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I like Carbon Comps, but I'm under no illusion as to their wear. I
>> wore a rear in 600 miles.

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:48:12 -0400, "Dave"
<[email protected]> top-posted:
>Wow. 600 miles? I used mine for about 300 miles to break them in for the
>Cross Florida Race (a 170 miler) this year, in April, and have put on about
>another 1000 since then, and no sign of a flat spot developing at all on the
>rear wheel....


I weigh 210 pounds and inflate to the max, 125psi. The roads I ride
aren't terribly dirty, nor terribly clean. I only flatted that tire
once (that I remember), after whacking a curb broke the presta
valve.

After 600 miles, there was a flat spot that may have been from when
I test rode the bike before buying; I had skidded a little bit
avoiding a car. The tread is riddled with very small cuts, and one
such cut was in the middle of said flat spot, and the tube pushed
through just enough to leak quickly.

I think, if I want to spend the time and effort, I can repair the
tire with various glues, liquid-applied rubbers, and patches/boots.
Some day, I might actually do it; I've kept the tire for that
purpose. I've got a collection of stuff with which to do it -- shoe
goo, rtv silicone gasket stuff, superglue, heavy-duty automotive
radial tire patches, contact cement, superglue, and so on.
--
Rick Onanian
 
R

Russell Seaton

Guest
"cheg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s01>...
> "Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "cheg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]_s04>...
> > > I have been running Conti Ultra Gatorskins on my road bike and lost the

> front
> > > one to a sidewall blowout last week. I noticed that he rear tire is worn

> through
> > > most of the tread pattern after about 1400 miles so I replaced them both. Is
> > > that a reasonable life span for quality tires? I'm curious how often people
> > > normally replace tires.

> >
> > That is awful mileage. I have used 700Cx23mm Continental Ultra
> > Gatorskin tires on one set of wheels since August 2001. In that time
> > they have ridden across North Dakota, North Carolina, Wisconsin,
> > Colorado, and Kansas. Plus a couple 200km brevets and one or maybe
> > two 300km brevets. Plus a few training miles. Probably 4,000 total
> > miles. Give or take. Front looks fine. Rear is squared off a bit
> > but not too bad. My Gatorskin tires have some extra strong coating on
> > the sidewalls to reduce cuts significantly. I weigh 200 pounds.

>
> The tires say "Duraskin K" on them but the sidewalls seem very thin and flexible
> compared to the Specialized tires I've used in the past.


Yes the Continental Ultra Gatorskin tires say Duraskin K on the
sidewall. I'm guessing its some kind of kevlar coating. It is much
more durable than regular Continental sidewalls.

Odd that in the old days bike tire companies would brag about how
flexible their sidewalls were. They would say they used silk or 290
strands of cotton or such things. And now thick unflexible sidewalls
are in vogue.
 
B

Bill Lloyd

Guest
On 2004-06-17 08:52:40 -0700, [email protected] (Russell Seaton) said:

> "cheg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]_s01>...
>> "Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> "cheg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> news:<[email protected]_s04>...
>>>> I have been running Conti Ultra Gatorskins on my road bike and lost the

>> front
>>>> one to a sidewall blowout last week. I noticed that he rear tire is worn

>> through
>>>> most of the tread pattern after about 1400 miles so I replaced them both. Is
>>>> that a reasonable life span for quality tires? I'm curious how often people
>>>> normally replace tires.
>>>
>>> That is awful mileage. I have used 700Cx23mm Continental Ultra
>>> Gatorskin tires on one set of wheels since August 2001. In that time
>>> they have ridden across North Dakota, North Carolina, Wisconsin,
>>> Colorado, and Kansas. Plus a couple 200km brevets and one or maybe
>>> two 300km brevets. Plus a few training miles. Probably 4,000 total
>>> miles. Give or take. Front looks fine. Rear is squared off a bit
>>> but not too bad. My Gatorskin tires have some extra strong coating on
>>> the sidewalls to reduce cuts significantly. I weigh 200 pounds.

>>
>> The tires say "Duraskin K" on them but the sidewalls seem very thin and
>> flexible
>> compared to the Specialized tires I've used in the past.

>
> Yes the Continental Ultra Gatorskin tires say Duraskin K on the
> sidewall. I'm guessing its some kind of kevlar coating. It is much
> more durable than regular Continental sidewalls.
>
> Odd that in the old days bike tire companies would brag about how
> flexible their sidewalls were. They would say they used silk or 290
> strands of cotton or such things. And now thick unflexible sidewalls
> are in vogue.


Maybe for flat resistance, but not for the "goodness" of having stiff
sidewalls.
 
B

Bill Lloyd

Guest
On 2004-06-16 05:52:46 -0700, "cheg" <[email protected]> said:

> I have been running Conti Ultra Gatorskins on my road bike and lost the front
> one to a sidewall blowout last week. I noticed that he rear tire is
> worn through
> most of the tread pattern after about 1400 miles so I replaced them both. Is
> that a reasonable life span for quality tires? I'm curious how often people
> normally replace tires.


Contis are among the longest wearing tires, if you get the carbon black
ones. I'd regularly get 4000 miles on a super sport rear tire. Front
tire life is essentially infinite -- it could go 20,000 miles or more
but typically you'd blow a sidewall first.

I get maybe 3000 miles out of Vredesteins (the black ones), and maybe
2000-2500 out of Ritchey Race tires (the nylon ones, not the $60 "open"
ones which I don't like the handling of).

Your front wheel sidewall blowout was not due to wear -- you either hit
something, scrubbed it pretty good, or did something else.

To avoid the front tire staying on for 3 years and rotting, I usually
rotate the front tire to the back, once I wear out the rear. And I put
new tires on the front.
 
B

Booker C. Bense

Guest
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

In article <[email protected]_s51>,
cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
>> : I have been running Conti Ultra Gatorskins on my road bike and lost the

>front
>> : one to a sidewall blowout last week. I noticed that he rear tire is worn

>through
>> : most of the tread pattern after about 1400 miles so I replaced them both. Is
>> : that a reasonable life span for quality tires? I'm curious how often people
>> : normally replace tires.
>>
>> How much do you weight, what width are the tyres and to what pressure do you
>> inflate them?

>
>
>155 lbs, 32 mm, 110 psi.
>
>


_ That seems really high for a tire that big and your weight.
Overinflating tires will wear them out faster, makes the ride
harser and generally has no positive benfits.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

is a good reference.

_ Booker C. Bense

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBQNHdLGTWTAjn5N/lAQEvKwQAs11GthEGh9p3QFE9PzTn1pPYbq8VEmKU
aU2adUsuJIe4xfDhUX5ysoSUg79bLSZx/ySUdzg1uSxbTTUK3Xl2VqvjU3FMYEJj
TqinxT6+O1I4bkDqm7mfCJj6jTLbhHgz0qDsAH91vafn4LWEOmaNniwxVMDWDNJU
rTaHkw6ODRk=
=XIun
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
M

Matt O'Toole

Guest
Bill Lloyd wrote:

> Contis are among the longest wearing tires, if you get the carbon
> black ones.


How do you know which is which? Even the black ones have silica instead these
days, but with black coloring instead of gray or whatever.

Matt O.
 
T

Tim McNamara

Guest
"Dave" <[email protected]> writes:

> Point is, many Conti models are not known for long life. The 3000's
> wear in about 200 miles or less around here (a buddy of mine rides
> em...)


The 2000 mile correction make *far* more sense.

The Conti 3000's are made with a non-carbon based rubber, some sort of
silicon based rubber. This rubber usually gives lousy traction in the
rain, but makes up for it by wearing out much faster than carbon-based
rubber. As a bonus, silica-rubber tires usually cost more. You can
tell I think these are not good tires.

I use carbon rubber based tires, and as I said I usually get about
3000 miles to a rear tire. I weigh a stubborn 215 lbs. I suspect
that road surface quality and how much climbing you do affects tire
wear. I found that my rear tire wore much more quickly riding in the
Alps than on the short hills around the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.
 
A

Arthur Clune

Guest
cheg <[email protected]> wrote:

: 155 lbs, 32 mm, 110 psi.

I assume you mean 23mm here? If not, that's way too high pressure for 32mm tyres.
90 PSI max would be more suitable.

Arthur


--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
"Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook
 
C

cheg

Guest
"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : 155 lbs, 32 mm, 110 psi.
>
> I assume you mean 23mm here? If not, that's way too high pressure for 32mm

tyres.
> 90 PSI max would be more suitable.
>
> Arthur
>


No, it's 32 mm (27"x1-1/4" to be precise).

110 psi is too high in what sense? They are not uncomfortable to ride at that
pressure.
 
C

cheg

Guest
"Booker C. Bense"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>
> In article <[email protected]_s51>,
> cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]


> >> How much do you weight, what width are the tyres and to what pressure do

you
> >> inflate them?

> >
> >
> >155 lbs, 32 mm, 110 psi.
> >
> >

>
> _ That seems really high for a tire that big and your weight.
> Overinflating tires will wear them out faster, makes the ride
> harser and generally has no positive benfits.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
>
> is a good reference.



Why does higher pressure increase wear rate? As far as the ride, the smoothness
of the ride is the one notable thing about Gatorskins that makes me want to
continue using them so I don't find them harsh at all. According to Jobst
Brandt's measured data higher pressure = lower rolling resistance, which could
be considered a positive benefit. I don't know how significant the gain is
compared to aerodynamic drag and other mechanical losses, though.
 
B

Booker C. Bense

Guest
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

In article <[email protected]_s51>,
cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>"Booker C. Bense"
><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>
>> In article <[email protected]_s51>,
>> cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]

>
>> >> How much do you weight, what width are the tyres and to what pressure do

>you
>> >> inflate them?
>> >
>> >
>> >155 lbs, 32 mm, 110 psi.
>> >
>> >

>>
>> _ That seems really high for a tire that big and your weight.
>> Overinflating tires will wear them out faster, makes the ride
>> harser and generally has no positive benfits.
>>
>> http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
>>
>> is a good reference.

>
>
>Why does higher pressure increase wear rate?


_ Less of the tire contacts the road.

> As far as the ride, the smoothness
>of the ride is the one notable thing about Gatorskins that makes me want to
>continue using them so I don't find them harsh at all.


_ I think there is a typo in your message since I can't find any
evidence that gatorskins come in 32mm width. For a 23mm width
tire and your weight, 110 is probably about right...

According to Jobst
>Brandt's measured data higher pressure = lower rolling resistance, which could
>be considered a positive benefit. I don't know how significant the gain is
>compared to aerodynamic drag and other mechanical losses, though.


_ My own philosophy is to keep the tire pressure as low as is
safe and avoids pinch flats. For me road comfort in a 3 or 4 hour
ride is much more important than speed.

_ Booker C. Bense




-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBQNMWxGTWTAjn5N/lAQGxCgP/XGTfqdDDwFs8T4jvnNJzV/NontSBHfLE
latsqXBbWzZ9u72sfRzWhI763EO8eBHo1YWICXYAPPpkz/Fm/BTQhSLDVDY7FMxy
w7oDHtU7i60y38ydgCNA+9krljDS1v0uOG678lVuLhmfh9GTpRXQolpDb6PKs5KG
D+Ta7A51Buc=
=JwNl
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
T

TC

Guest
"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> cheg wrote:
>
> > I have been running Conti Ultra Gatorskins on my road bike and lost
> > the front one to a sidewall blowout last week. I noticed that he rear
> > tire is worn through most of the tread pattern after about 1400 miles
> > so I replaced them both. Is that a reasonable life span for quality
> > tires? I'm curious how often people normally replace tires.

>
> A normal life span is at least 2000, and probably closer to 3000 miles, for
> modern, road-race-oriented tires. Durability-oriented tires last longer than
> that, but may not be as fast or smooth.
>
> Some tires have very thin tread, in the interests of low weight and rolling
> resistance. But this kind of gram-shaving is silly -- some of the fastest tires
> are also the most durable. Note the RR and durablity results cited for Avocets,
> for example.
>
> With all the touble people seem to have with Continentals, I don't understand
> why they continue to buy them. I see Contis with frayed sidewalls all the time,
> held together with Shoe Goo. Thse people ride the same roads as I do, and I
> never have tire trouble.
>
> I've been very happy with the Vittoria Open Corsa CX. They came with my bike,
> and I thought they were fragile race tires that I'd wear out or destroy soon.
> This has proven not to be the case. I have about 2000 miles on them now, with
> just one puncture, no cuts, and the rear is just starting to square off. They
> look like they'll go another 500-1000 miles. They're some of the best riding,
> fastest tires I've ever used. No problems in the wet either. It's very hilly
> around here, with lots of rough pavement, which can be hard on tires. I'd
> definately buy the Vittorias again, but only on sale (they're expensive).
>
> My friend uses Hutchinson Carbon Comps, and gets maybe 2000 miles out of them.
> But he buys them on sale for under $20 each. Nashbar has had some pretty good
> tires on sale lately for as little as $10-15 -- Panaracer, etc. If your tires
> will be destroyed by cuts anyway, it probably makes no sense to pay for extra
> tread life.
>
> Michelin Carbon are advertised as durable and cut resistant, as well as fast and
> comfortable. 3500-4000 miles for $30-35, and widely available. Anyone using
> these?
>
> Matt O.


Your mileage estimates might be reasonable where you live,but they're
way too high for my part of the country. I live in the mountains of
Northern California, where if you're not climbing it's because you're
descending in a hurry. Add to that the "cheese-grater" chip-and-seal
roads around here and my Open Corsa CX on the back lasted about 1000
miles before the casing started peeking through. Glass and other urban
debris aren't typically a problem out here, but "modern, race-oriented
tires" tend to go no more than 1000-1500 miles assuming nothing
untoward happens to them. I killed a pair of IRC Paperlites in less
than a thousand miles.

My point is that tire wear varies greatly by use, and if you spend
better than 50% of your ride time climbing (not at all unusual out
here) on rough chip-and-seal, then mileage plummets. I'm testing a
pair of 25c Michelin Carbons on my old 84 Paramount, but haven't
ridden that bike enough lately to guess the mileage. At 700 miles, the
back is already starting to square some.

It's too bad as the Open Corsas have typically been the nicest
handling tires I've used, but they go away so quickly and they're so
expensive that I'm looking for something else.

TC
 
P

Pete Grey

Guest
I ride Gatorskins in the winter, 700x25's around the same pressure, maybe
more like 115.
I get similar mileage from them, and I weigh in about 165lb.

My Conti GP 3000's only last about 1000mi in the summer months on my faster
bike.

I consider both of these reasonable, for the good ride and handling from the
Conti's.
I have had one (1) sidewall problem in using them for nearly 14 years now,
YMMV. I also consider that reasonable, I think Conti has gotten a bad rap
from a few of these cases being made public, I'd guess that other
manufacturers have had the same problem from time-to-time.

I've tried other longer-wearing tires a few times over the years, and I'm
not switching:-]

-pete

"cheg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s54...
>
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Depends on the tire characteristics, your riding style, road surface
> > material and climate, just like car tires. Grippier tires will wear

earlier
> > because of the softer compound. Hot climate will certainly wear tires
> > faster; if you do a lot of hard pedaling or fast club rides, chances are
> > you're putting more road friction on the tires, and for example, here in

S
> > Florida, many of the road surfaces we ride on have hard coral mixed into

the
> > asphalt, so it can be harder on tires too. You need to look at what

you're
> > doing to your tires.
> >
> > BTW, 1400 miles is not bad wear for a set of tires, again depending on

the
> > conditions. If you had said 400 miles, I'd have really wondered. I

like
> > Hutchinson Carbon Comp tires. They wear very well, but still have good

fast
> > cornering characteristics (I use em in crits, but I'm only Cat 4, so

we're
> > not cornering at 30+) and pliable enough (even at 140PSI) that on long
> > rides, I don't start cursing them out.
> >
> > Hope this helped....
> >

>
> This is in Seattle, certainly not a hot climate by your standards. We have

hills
> instead :)
>
> The compound of the Ultra Gatorskins does seem softer than other tires

I've
> used. I don't ride particularly fast, though. I average about 200 miles a

week,
> mostly commuting in the 15-17 mph range.
>
>
 
Tom Chandler writes:

> It's too bad as the Open Corsas have typically been the nicest
> handling tires I've used, but they go away so quickly and they're so
> expensive that I'm looking for something else.


How do you whether one tire handles better than another since traction
is either there or not on pavement. There is no tire squeal or
side-slip although writers to this newsgroup sometimes describe their
cornering as drifting in curves. This does not occur. Besides that,
chip seal, the most abrasive, roads have poorer traction than concrete
or hot-mix asphalt roads.

http://www.ci.anchorage.ak.us/streets/chipsealprogram.cfm

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]
 
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:31:38 GMT,
[email protected] wrote:

>Tom Chandler writes:
>
>> It's too bad as the Open Corsas have typically been the nicest
>> handling tires I've used, but they go away so quickly and they're so
>> expensive that I'm looking for something else.

>
>How do you whether one tire handles better than another since traction
>is either there or not on pavement. There is no tire squeal or
>side-slip although writers to this newsgroup sometimes describe their
>cornering as drifting in curves. This does not occur. Besides that,
>chip seal, the most abrasive, roads have poorer traction than concrete
>or hot-mix asphalt roads.
>
>http://www.ci.anchorage.ak.us/streets/chipsealprogram.cfm
>
>Jobst Brandt
>[email protected]


Dear Jobst,

Maybe Tom notices that the traction is "not there" on the
pavement more often with poorer handling tires?

It seems unlikely, but are you saying that no rider can tell
whether one tire handles better than another in terms of
traction?

Since you offer no answer, your hastily typed question "How
do you [?] whether one tire handles better than another . .
.." seems rhetorical.

So how do you tell if one tire handles better than another?

Carl Fogel
 
Carl Fogel writes:

>>> It's too bad as the Open Corsas have typically been the nicest
>>> handling tires I've used, but they go away so quickly and they're
>>> so expensive that I'm looking for something else.


>> How do you [know] whether one tire handles better than another
>> since traction is either there or not on pavement. There is no
>> tire squeal or side-slip, although writers to this newsgroup
>> sometimes describe their cornering as drifting in curves. This
>> does not occur. Besides that, chip seal, the most abrasive, roads
>> have poorer traction than concrete or hot-mix asphalt roads.


> Maybe Tom notices that the traction is "not there" on the
> pavement more often with poorer handling tires?


Maybe shmaybe, let the man speak for himself. You don't have to hold
his hand.

> It seems unlikely, but are you saying that no rider can tell whether
> one tire handles better than another in terms of traction?


Unless it is a knobby tire (not a road tire of the kind in question)
there is no perceptible difference in handling until is washes out in
a curve, something that occurs with colored tires on wet roads. It is
not something you prefer to test but it has been done both in situ and
on the tire testing machine I once designed for Avocet to measure
maximum lean angle for tires.

> Since you offer no answer, your hastily typed question "How
> do you [?] whether one tire handles better than another . .
> ." seems rhetorical.


That may be so in your estimation but I didn't ask you.

> So how do you tell if one tire handles better than another?


You test it on a machine. I originally performed such tests on a 16ft
long paved plywood tiltbed increasing the angle until the bicycle
slid. This was done at low speed and with protective clothing. There
was a difference among tires tested. That was a few years ago.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]
 
R

Ross

Guest
My rear Conti GP 3000 got 5000 miles on it before I bought a new one. I put
the new one on the front and the front one on the rear, so now the rear has
6000 on it. I weigh 160 and ride in the Texas Hill country in San Antonio.
I'm a fanatic about keeping an eye on my bike and it's various wears and
tears and only replaced the rear when it got that flattened out look. Upon
removal I checked the rubber remaining by just feeling it and while there
was a difference (obviously) from the new tire to the old one, the old one
had worn pretty regular.

Ross


"Pete Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I ride Gatorskins in the winter, 700x25's around the same pressure, maybe
> more like 115.
> I get similar mileage from them, and I weigh in about 165lb.
>
> My Conti GP 3000's only last about 1000mi in the summer months on my

faster
> bike.
>
> I consider both of these reasonable, for the good ride and handling from

the
> Conti's.
> I have had one (1) sidewall problem in using them for nearly 14 years now,
> YMMV. I also consider that reasonable, I think Conti has gotten a bad rap
> from a few of these cases being made public, I'd guess that other
> manufacturers have had the same problem from time-to-time.
>
> I've tried other longer-wearing tires a few times over the years, and I'm
> not switching:-]
>
> -pete
>
> "cheg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s54...
> >
> > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Depends on the tire characteristics, your riding style, road surface
> > > material and climate, just like car tires. Grippier tires will wear

> earlier
> > > because of the softer compound. Hot climate will certainly wear tires
> > > faster; if you do a lot of hard pedaling or fast club rides, chances

are
> > > you're putting more road friction on the tires, and for example, here

in
> S
> > > Florida, many of the road surfaces we ride on have hard coral mixed

into
> the
> > > asphalt, so it can be harder on tires too. You need to look at what

> you're
> > > doing to your tires.
> > >
> > > BTW, 1400 miles is not bad wear for a set of tires, again depending on

> the
> > > conditions. If you had said 400 miles, I'd have really wondered. I

> like
> > > Hutchinson Carbon Comp tires. They wear very well, but still have

good
> fast
> > > cornering characteristics (I use em in crits, but I'm only Cat 4, so

> we're
> > > not cornering at 30+) and pliable enough (even at 140PSI) that on long
> > > rides, I don't start cursing them out.
> > >
> > > Hope this helped....
> > >

> >
> > This is in Seattle, certainly not a hot climate by your standards. We

have
> hills
> > instead :)
> >
> > The compound of the Ultra Gatorskins does seem softer than other tires

> I've
> > used. I don't ride particularly fast, though. I average about 200 miles

a
> week,
> > mostly commuting in the 15-17 mph range.
> >
> >

>
>
 
C

cheg

Guest
"Booker C. Bense"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:cav4s5
>
> cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >
> >Why does higher pressure increase wear rate?

>
> _ Less of the tire contacts the road.
>
> > As far as the ride, the smoothness
> >of the ride is the one notable thing about Gatorskins that makes me want to
> >continue using them so I don't find them harsh at all.

>
> _ I think there is a typo in your message since I can't find any
> evidence that gatorskins come in 32mm width. For a 23mm width
> tire and your weight, 110 is probably about right...
>


27" x 1-1/4" => 32-630 ISO

> According to Jobst
> >Brandt's measured data higher pressure = lower rolling resistance, which

could
> >be considered a positive benefit. I don't know how significant the gain is
> >compared to aerodynamic drag and other mechanical losses, though.

>
> _ My own philosophy is to keep the tire pressure as low as is
> safe and avoids pinch flats. For me road comfort in a 3 or 4 hour
> ride is much more important than speed.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense


One man's comfort is another man's PITA.
 

Similar threads