Road Tire opinions?

BillM

Aug 12, 2006
I have Michelin Pro Race tires now.....opinions on a fast road tire. I don't want something that flats all the time but as fast as can be. Mine are 700*25s on Aksium Race wheels.

Bike is an OCR Comp2 if it matters.

I'm extremely happy with the Michelin Pro 2 race service course tires (mine are 23s), I've been using these for training for about 500 miles with a lot of loose gravel on blacktop with no flats. They are very supple, yet have low rolling resistance. They soak up the rough roads, but still give nice feedback.

This has been discussed a lot, for some good background and other ideas, do a search.

FWIW, I ride Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks, and am very happy. On a better set of wheels I have Vittoria CXs, wonderful ride, but not very long lasting. Ah, trade-offs...

Having said that, I am not sure they come in x25s, but you can always ride 700x23s and will be fine.

I like Veloflex Black in 700x22C. Fast, super light, and really supple. Their not the longest lasting, but I only use them for fast trainimg and racing. Their is something special about a hand-made Italian tire ... :)

Powerful Pete said:
This has been discussed a lot, for some good background and other ideas, do a search.

FWIW, I ride Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks, and am very happy. On a better set of wheels I have Vittoria CXs, wonderful ride, but not very long lasting. Ah, trade-offs...

Having said that, I am not sure they come in x25s, but you can always ride 700x23s and will be fine.

I can't reference the study at the moment but the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX have the lowest rolling resistance of any clinchers. I've got them on my nice wheels and like the ride quality. I've been riding them hard all summer and no flats yet.

After reading a bunch of these posts, i just replaced my tires with Conti 4000s. they are 700 x 23. Only have 100 miles on them and the only change I've noticed from my older tires was the added bounce i think since they are 120 psi, while my old tires were 100 psi. i don't race, only ride

BillM said:
I have Michelin Pro Race tires now.....opinions on a fast road tire. I don't want something that flats all the time but as fast as can be. Mine are 700*25s on Aksium Race wheels.

Bike is an OCR Comp2 if it matters.

li rider said:
After reading a bunch of these posts, I just replaced my tires with Conti 4000s. They are 700 x 23. Only have 100 miles on them and the only change I've noticed from my older tires was the added bounce i think since they are 120 psi, while my old tires were 100 psi. I don't race, only ride.
120psi is the max pressure for the tyre, set them at 100 front 105 rear and see it that is more comfortable. ;)

I have GP4000s on my Felt and have run the front as low as 85psi on some rides.

I have Specialized Mondo S-Works Tire. The tire is fast, but it's far from confidence inspiring on the downhills. I've had one weird puncture that I still cannot work out what happened. The tire got a piece of glass embedded in it the other day (tiny split now). Definitely will try something else next time.

li rider said:
After reading a bunch of these posts, i just replaced my tires with Conti 4000s. they are 700 x 23. Only have 100 miles on them and the only change I've noticed from my older tires was the added bounce i think since they are 120 psi, while my old tires were 100 psi. i don't race, only ride
Li Rider, try 100 psi in those new 4000s, depending on your weight. If you're 150 lbs or less, 85 frt/90 rear would be even better. You'll be surprised at the improvement in ride, roadholding and puncture resistance, with no rolling penalty on real roads.

At 180 lbs, I have the GP 4000s at 100 and 105 psi. They do seem to ride smoother than the GP 3000s. The Conti website claims a big reduction in rolling resistance for them; about the same now as the Michelin Pro Race if I've got the figures right.

I'm 168 as of this morning.

why the lower psi in the front than the back?

dhk2 said:
Li Rider, try 100 psi in those new 4000s, depending on your weight. If you're 150 lbs or less, 85 frt/90 rear would be even better. You'll be surprised at the improvement in ride, roadholding and puncture resistance, with no rolling penalty on real roads.

At 180 lbs, I have the GP 4000s at 100 and 105 psi. They do seem to ride smoother than the GP 3000s. The Conti website claims a big reduction in rolling resistance for them; about the same now as the Michelin Pro Race if I've got the figures right.

li rider said:
I'm 168 as of this morning.

why the lower psi in the front than the back?
+1 on the Conti 4000s. Great tires and definitely a touch better than the 3000s. I'm a bit bigger at 190lbs so I run 130psi in back and 120psi in front with no problems (in New York city by the way). Higher psi in back to support the greater percentage of body weight that is distributed over the rear wheel. 10% greater psi in back is what has been suggested to me.

I went with Continental Ultra gatorskins 700x25

gotta love that Kevlar

RussB

Get a pair of Pro2 Race Service Course Special Editions. wonderful wonderful clincher. Even at 116 psi they do not bounce, but remain supple and smooth. Very much like running on tubulars.