road tire recommendations

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Eric Gleason, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Eric Gleason

    Eric Gleason Guest

    Due to the rough asphalt trails here, I want to get bigger tires on my rims to help even out the
    bumps. I've got 700x26C tires now and every decent ripple in the pavement shudders my spine. I've
    been running them lower than the rated pressure, but it's not helping enough, and I'm afraid that
    going any lower will cause pinch flats or damage to the rims.

    I got a set of 700x28c tires from Nashbar but they're actually narrower than the 26c Kenda Kontender
    tires that came with the bike.

    Can anyone recommend a decent tire that's not too expensive, and preferably has a pretty smooth
    tread pattern? A source would be helpful too, since my LBS doesn't seem to have much selection in
    this range.

    Thanks!

    Eric

    Tags:

  2. Jeb

    Jeb Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:05:18 GMT, eric gleason <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Due to the rough asphalt trails here, I want to get bigger tires on my rims to help even out the
    >bumps. I've got 700x26C tires now and every decent ripple in the pavement shudders my spine. I've
    >been running them lower than the rated pressure, but it's not helping enough, and I'm afraid that
    >going any lower will cause pinch flats or damage to the rims.
    >
    >I got a set of 700x28c tires from Nashbar but they're actually narrower than the 26c Kenda
    >Kontender tires that came with the bike.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a decent tire that's not too expensive, and preferably has a pretty smooth
    >tread pattern? A source would be helpful too, since my LBS doesn't seem to have much selection in
    >this range.

    Nashbar almost always has something wider in closeouts (= "not too expensive)

  3. eric gleason wrote:
    > Due to the rough asphalt trails here, I want to get bigger tires on my rims to help even out the
    > bumps. I've got 700x26C tires now and every decent ripple in the pavement shudders my spine. I've
    > been running them lower than the rated pressure, but it's not helping enough, and I'm afraid that
    > going any lower will cause pinch flats or damage to the rims.
    >
    > I got a set of 700x28c tires from Nashbar but they're actually narrower than the 26c Kenda
    > Kontender tires that came with the bike.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent tire that's not too expensive, and preferably has a pretty smooth
    > tread pattern? A source would be helpful too, since my LBS doesn't seem to have much selection in
    > this range.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Eric

    Just make sure your bike ( forks ) has enough room to accomodate a larger tire.

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply