road tire recommendations

Eric Gleason

Guest
Due to the rough asphalt trails here, I want to get bigger tires on my rims to help even out the
bumps. I've got 700x26C tires now and every decent ripple in the pavement shudders my spine. I've
been running them lower than the rated pressure, but it's not helping enough, and I'm afraid that
going any lower will cause pinch flats or damage to the rims.

I got a set of 700x28c tires from Nashbar but they're actually narrower than the 26c Kenda Kontender
tires that came with the bike.

Can anyone recommend a decent tire that's not too expensive, and preferably has a pretty smooth
tread pattern? A source would be helpful too, since my LBS doesn't seem to have much selection in
this range.

Thanks!

Eric

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:05:18 GMT, eric gleason <[email protected]> wrote:

>Due to the rough asphalt trails here, I want to get bigger tires on my rims to help even out the
>bumps. I've got 700x26C tires now and every decent ripple in the pavement shudders my spine. I've
>been running them lower than the rated pressure, but it's not helping enough, and I'm afraid that
>going any lower will cause pinch flats or damage to the rims.
>
>I got a set of 700x28c tires from Nashbar but they're actually narrower than the 26c Kenda
>Kontender tires that came with the bike.
>
>Can anyone recommend a decent tire that's not too expensive, and preferably has a pretty smooth
>tread pattern? A source would be helpful too, since my LBS doesn't seem to have much selection in
>this range.

Nashbar almost always has something wider in closeouts (= "not too expensive)

eric gleason wrote:
> Due to the rough asphalt trails here, I want to get bigger tires on my rims to help even out the
> bumps. I've got 700x26C tires now and every decent ripple in the pavement shudders my spine. I've
> been running them lower than the rated pressure, but it's not helping enough, and I'm afraid that
> going any lower will cause pinch flats or damage to the rims.
>
> I got a set of 700x28c tires from Nashbar but they're actually narrower than the 26c Kenda
> Kontender tires that came with the bike.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent tire that's not too expensive, and preferably has a pretty smooth
> tread pattern? A source would be helpful too, since my LBS doesn't seem to have much selection in
> this range.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Just make sure your bike ( forks ) has enough room to accomodate a larger tire.

--
Perre

Remove the DOTs to reply