Road Tires for mountain bike

Mark Hickey said...

> Because motorcycle tires are shaped like bike tires, it's really hard to hydroplane them too. I
> once hit DEEP water at the bottom of an entrance ramp while riding like an idiot in heavy rain
> (but I did beat all my buddies onto the interstate). The speed was probably between 70 and 80mph
> (110-125km/h) and the water was deeper than the tires. I just KNEW I was going down, but all that
> happened was I threw a VERY impressive wake and the force of the water blew all my footpegs into
> their up position. I haven't worried about hydroplaning on a motorcycle since (not that I'd repeat
> THAT stunt).

80 mph in the rain? you could have just played Russian roulette and stayed dry.

I've been digging the Panaracer Holy Moly tires I picked up recently for pavement and dirt road
riding. 1.85" for good cushion. A smooth center for easy rolling. Relatively light for fairly
inexpensive wire bead tire.

SuperSlinky <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Stephen Baker said...
>
> > You get a muuuuccchhhh longer adrenaline rush on the bike. ;-)
> >
> > Steve
>
> Oh man, don't I know it. I had a Yamaha 600 Radian that I put 60,000 miles on. Probably the
> stupidest thing I did was to try to take it past 120 mph. The front end got light and went shizo
> on me. That's about as close to instant death as you get without getting a scratch.

if by "The front end got light and went shizo on me" you mean what i think you do (made like a bad
shopping cart wheel and went into oscillations), i had that happen to me back when i did downhill
roller blading (got a few looks as i followed cars down hills in a 25 Mph zone). left ankle support
straps were a bit too loose. after getting up to speed and proceeding into a full tuck, the left
skate started oscillating (not good at high speed). now, as i had no brakes (wore them out until the
bolt was ground off), i scooched down lower to stabilize the skate, and at that moment the right
skate followed a crack. this is not normally a problem as i just shift weight to the other side and
keep going, but as it was, i was scooched real low and could not shift weight, so i went down (no
pads, or helmet). i managed to ride out the whole thing on one shin. and that shin was almost
totally hamburger with road rash. as the heat from the pavement grinding had cauterized most of the
small vessels and nerve endings (large area 2nd degree burns), it barely bled and did not hurt, so i
promptly brushed the dirt off and skated home. though i never went to the hospital, i just washed it
off, and left it (covered it at night with lots of gauze pads, and the first night needed an ice
pack for the burns). it left a scar for a few years, and now you can barely even tell where it was.
i didn't really care for downhill skating after that. funny how that works.
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote :
>
> >> I once hit DEEP water at the bottom of an entrance ramp while riding like an idiot in heavy
> >> rain (but I did beat all my buddies onto the interstate). The speed was probably between 70 and
> >> 80mph (110-125km/h) and the water was deeper than the tires. I just KNEW I was going down, but
> >> all that happened was I threw a VERY impressive wake and the force of the water blew all my
> >> footpegs into their up position. I haven't worried about hydroplaning on a motorcycle since
> >> (not that I'd repeat THAT stunt).
> >
> >Wow - you're such a cool guy! Wish I coulda done that ',;~}~
>
> Naaaah, I woulda been "cool" had I meant to do it.

You know that was sarcasm, right? ',;~}~

> The fact is my eyes were as wide as saucers and if there had been a steel rod up my butt I woulda
> pinched it off.

LOL! Heheheheh - gonna have to use that steel rod line sometime, heheheh......cheers!

Shaun aRe