Road tires for MTN Bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Row1x, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Row1x

Row1x New Member

Hi Everyone, I have a mountain bike that I would like to take on a road ride with a friend, Any recommendations on what type of tires would be best. The ones I have on now are pretty aggressive off road tires. It is a full suspension set up if that makes any difference. Thanks, Paul

Tags:

2. Fignon le Grand

Fignon le Grand New Member

Specialized and Coninental both have good road tyres for mountain bikes

3. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

I've had good luck with the Ritchey Tom Slick 26"x1.4" at 60PSI. Also available in 26"x1.0". Don't forget to also buy narrower tubes to match the narrower tires.

For road riding on your full suspension, adjust your front and rear suspension so the bike is as stiff as possible.

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

5. Row1x

Row1x New Member

Thanks Much!

6. MarkInNC

MarkInNC New Member

I have had a Trek 6500 for about a year. I put just shy of 2K miles on a set of Continentals which had a bit of tread on the sides but slick in the middle, I believe they were 32. About a month ago I put 700c wheels on the bike and used a set of continental 700x32 which are similar to the ones used on the 26 wheels but less tread and larger slick portion.

Mark

7. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Conti Sport Contacts are excellent (~32mm). I have them on my 26" commuting bike.

8. scottehrm

scottehrm New Member

i used a mtn bike on road and i used pretty cheap michelin country rock tires. there pretty good in a weather conditions well except snow haha... and i put about 3500 miles on them
    so i would recomend them too him

9. Road Rage

Road Rage New Member

Whenever I take my Cannondale Rush out on the road I mount up a pair of Maxxis Hookworms in 26 x 2.50. These are great road slicks that have a really cool motorcycle-like tread pattern and they look absolutely sick on the bike.

I know that they might sound big and heavy but they really aren't! When they are inflated to 65 psi they roll fast and grab pavement like crazy in corners. I've got about 2000 Km's on them and they look like new. And you don't have the knobbies howling like a regular MTB tire.

Mind you, this setup would only work if you are running disk brakes. The Hookworms would be a tad too large for regular rim caliper brakes.