Road Tires

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by GPT, Jul 27, 2004.

1. GPT

GPT New Member

Armadillos last a while but what are your favorite tires for speed? 700x23 or there abouts. I've tried Rubino & Bontrager and think the Bontragers are more comfortable but not a zippy. Thoughts?

Tags:

2. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I've been using Continental GP 3000s for a few years now, and have been happy with them, especially in damp conditions. I go through them a bit quickly, but I'm a bit of a load to carry at 186 lbs (~84kg)

3. Geoff2010

Geoff2010 New Member

I ride Michelin Pro Race... they are a little pricey, but I love the grip around the corners :)

... and they roll fast.

4. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I just replaced my back tire with 1800 miles on it. It was a Continental Gator Skin. I replaced it with a Continental Ultra 2000. I don't think it will last as long, but it is lower priced. Do you get a lot of miles out of those GP 3000's?

Incidentally, if you ride in the rain, your tires will wear out much quicker than if you don't. I got this from a Goodyear rep who was selling Caterpillar tires. They wear out quickest in wet conditions.

5. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Vittoria Rubinho tires (check out the new Tech and Slick models). If you are feeling the need to travel fast and in style, the Open Corsa Evo CX are the way to go. Faaast, but expensive and they wear quickly. But it's worth it. :D

6. gdiza

gdiza New Member

on my main bike, i'm using continental ultrasport (yellow colouring)

on the other bike (that sits on my cycle trainer for majortity of its life) i have continental tyres too, but i can't remember exactly what make but its training tyres.

7. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

Michelin Pro Race 2 just now for me most of the time (have other bikes with Vittoria and Conti on board)

The new michelin is a worth successor to the pro race badge, I like it a lot.

8. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Sorry guys, but the Mich's, Conti's and Vitt's mentioned are mere pretenders in the speed/fast rolling department compared to Vred Tri-Comp's & Fortezza's - especially in 25c size.

Don't think so? You should try me on a descent.

Been there, done that. Tried all the others. I WILL beat you to the bottom of the hill, as I always do with everyone in my group rides.

9. Claes

Claes New Member

Are you heavy? That makes a bigger difference than the tyres. If you weigh 90 kgs and ride with mountaingoats at 60 kg, you will go downhill quicker. Aerodynamics also play a big part.
    You need to qualify a bit more about your downhill statement before someone can understand wether it is the tyres or something else.

10. ChangMan

ChangMan New Member

Hutchinson's for me! :D

11. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

I'm a Vittoria fan--Rubino Pro's and Open Corsa CX's here. Prices are damn good from www.probikekit.com--although shipping from the UK costs more and takes more time....

12. king4wd

king4wd New Member

I'm a Vittoria fan as well. I love the way they feel- light and zippy. Although I was very impressed with the tires that came with my build kit last year- Schwalbe Blizzard sport. While heavy, they rolled easy and felt much lighter than they were. They were also nearly impervious to punctures. However the Bontragers I got to replace them while lighter, feel sluggish and don't give me the same "Connected" feel on the road I got with Schwalbe and Vittoria.

13. zperrys

zperrys New Member

Got Bontrager Race Tires on my Trek 5000, 700x75c. Love 'em. Not a single problem with them.

14. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Had good experiences with Vittoria CX's in clincher, although they are a bit fragile. Lost two to road damage, too badly torn to be booted. But, they do take a fair amount of pressure and on a smooth road really move along.

For real speed, I've fallen in love with the pricey but beautiful Dugast cotton tubulars. Pump them up to 9 bar, and they really roll, but not the least bit harsh.

I've noticed that I tend to be coasting along on downhills while my partners are cranking away. I tend to think that's more the slippery Zipp 404 wheels than anything.

15. Wurm

Wurm New Member

I don't buy the "heavier goes downhill quicker" theory. As you may know, several hundred years ago Galileo did a similar experiment at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, only to find that a heavier object fell at the same speed as a lighter object, both being made of the same material and basic shape.

But since you ask, I weigh about 196 lbs. and am 6' tall, so I do present somewhat of a larger "air brake" to the wind than many of the smaller members. I regularly ride with one guy that weighs maybe 8-10 lbs. less than me, and another that weighs about 25-30 lbs. more. Others in the group I would say are less than 180.

The wheelsets are all pretty close, with some being more aero I'm sure, and some less. I use Campy Zondas with 30mm. rims, which is no taller a rim than some others have, or of no fewer spokes. But really the aerodynamics don't come into play much at speeds under about 15 mph, where I still roll faster/easier than all of my mates. Then on the fast DH's, the rolling resistance seems to make an even greater difference.

All unscientific and anecdotal of course, but this has been my observation.

16. cucamelsmd15

cucamelsmd15 New Member

Training -> Michelin Axial Carbons, cant beat em

Race -> Michelin Pro2 Race

17. Gus69

Gus69 New Member

Best i've ever tried in Race : Veloflex Master, very skinny and very fast, but only last 5-800 miles. THen it's Michelin pro and Vitt. open corsa CX

G

18. otherworld

otherworld New Member

It's definitely your weight, maybe a bit to do with your aero wheels, but more about the weight. It's well known (we call it the fatty test) try swapping bikes with one of the others and you'll see.

Cheers Jay.

19. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Maybe I'll try that Jay. But what explains (as I mentioned above) the fact that one of the guys who's at least 30 lbs. heavier than me hasn't beaten me yet on the descents?

Maybe it's simply a fortunate combination of things with my tires, weight, aerodynamics, bearing friction, etc.

:confused:

20. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

I just won a pair of wheels ( Rolf Vector Pro's) of Ebay that come with the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX's and I am suprised that the y can go to 170 PSI.