Road Tires

Shawn

Guest
Hi Folks,

I dont know too much about road tires, so i'll ask the pros.

Is a 650x23c tire for a 26inch rim?

Shawn

Shawn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I dont know too much about road tires, so i'll ask the pros.
>
> Is a 650x23c tire for a 26inch rim?
>
> Shawn

26 inch rim ISO size is 597 not 650. Even 28 inch rim is only 630 so 650 would be huge I think

Shawn wrote:

> I dont know too much about road tires, so i'll ask the pros.
>=20
> Is a 650x23c tire for a 26inch rim?

Found at http://www.innercitycycles.com.au/tricent/650C700C.htm

"It follows that a 650C has a 650 millimetre nominal tyre outside=20 diameter (again, in reality the
actual measurement is slightly less).=20 Its ISO marking is 18-571 to 25-571. That is a width of
between 18 and=20 25 millimetres. To make things a bit more interesting 650C is often=20 referred to
as 26 inch and can be marked 26 x 1 to 26 x =BE. This is in =

fact different to the standard mountain bike tyre rim, which is 26 x 1.0 =

to 26 x 2.1 (ISO 35-559 to 54-559)."

so I think it will depend on your actual rim width (i.e., is that 26=20 wheel an MTB one or a
road one?)

If in doubt, take the wheel to the shop and try the tyre on there before =

you get it.

Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Shawn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I dont know too much about road tires, so i'll ask the pros.
>
> Is a 650x23c tire for a 26inch rim?
>
> Shawn

As far as I know the 650 size wheels used to be used for time trialling upto a few years ago. 650
on the front and 700 on the back to get a really low position. With lo-pro frames now these
aren't necessary

Russell

In message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> writes
>Shawn wrote:
>
>> I dont know too much about road tires, so i'll ask the pros. Is a 650x23c tire for a 26inch rim?
>
>Found at http://www.innercitycycles.com.au/tricent/650C700C.htm
>
>"It follows that a 650C has a 650 millimetre nominal tyre outside diameter (again, in reality the
>actual measurement is slightly less). Its ISO marking is 18-571 to 25-571. That is a width of
>between 18 and 25 millimetres. To make things a bit more interesting 650C is often referred to as
>26 inch and can be marked 26 x 1 to 26 x ¾. This is in fact different to the standard mountain bike
>tyre rim, which is 26 x
>1. to 26 x 2.1 (ISO 35-559 to 54-559)."
>
>so I think it will depend on your actual rim width (i.e., is that 26 wheel an MTB one or a
>road one?)

The rim width isn't the importnat measurement here, the important one is the bead seat diameter (the
bit inside the rim where the bead of he tyre sits - for what you quote it is 571 mm for 650C (as
opposed to 559 mm for the '26 inch' MTB rim)

AIUI 650C is used by most commonly used by Triathlon riders nowadays.

To answer the OP. It depends on what you mean by 26 inch rim - are there any ISO/ERTRO markings
on the rim?
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French <[email protected]> wrote
> AIUI 650C is used by most commonly used by Triathlon riders nowadays.

Actually I think it's more often used to make small racing bikes, like bikes for younger teenagers
and shorter women.

-Myra