Road training workout durations

dan krause

Feb 9, 2008
I have been road biking 15 years. How many miles a day do you people ride between competitions for regular training each day? Weekly? Thanks

dan krause said:
I have been road biking 15 years. How many miles a day do you people ride between competitions for regular training each day? Weekly? Thanks
Are you asking in general about how much everyone does or are you wanting to know how many hours and miles you should be doing. If its the latter i don't think you will get your answer because everyone is different. What works for some doesn't work for others.
Everyone has different commitments family, friends , work. You need to find what works best for you. You'll find answers vary from say 5 hours to 25 hours per week. Maybe more.
Well anyway i ride 160 - 180 miles a week and roughly 8-10 hours a week.

dan krause said:
20 hrs a week minimum, unless recovery week.

Distance cycled varies as to how much racing on the agenda.

Why the mad face? Are you angry with how much others are riding their bikes? :confused:

Sorry to upset you, but I ride ~8hrs per week, which is roughly 150 miles/wk. Divide by seven for daily averages.

Like the folks have noted, if this is part of a structured plan than it will vary with each person based upon their personal issues, goals and ftp (if you are power training). For most folks who are power training, it is going to be about 8-10 hours a week with the traditional 1-2 days of rest in that week and about 90 minutes to 2 hours on all the other days.

I am in that category but lately to build more CTL I have putting in the time on the weekends with rides of 3-5 hours depending on the mood and if I am hitting the weights heavy that weekend.

-js

dan krause said:

I ride about 10 hours per week. Seems to be pretty typical. And that's plenty to get in the training workout rides that my team's coach recommends for me. If anything I would cut back on my volume, as it includes some useless (for training) bike-commuting miles. I mostly race criteriums and circuit races, and occasionally longer road races, so factor that in as needed.

dan krause said:
Generally, most of us get to ride 5-10 hours/week, maybe an occasional week or two above that while on vacation. Most people with a full-time occupation can only manage at the most ~10 hours/week on average over the course of a year. That figure includes racing (at least it does for me anyway).

BullGod is an elite rider in the Netherlands and his job is riding a bike so take that into consideration.

Steve_B said:
BullGod is an elite rider in the Netherlands and his job is riding a bike so take that into consideration.
i wish. my job is selling domain name managment for 20 hours a week. The rest of the time I'm on my bike training....then on the weekend I go down hard in mass pile ups on the windswept cobblestones of Northern Holland...."elite zonder contract" (elite without contract) it's a great life!

watch the Bullgod (orange jersey no. 158 rolling on grass then getting up and riding off) take a tumble into the ditch at 10.40....http://www1.omropfryslan.nl/Player.aspx?t=v&fn=BOPPESLACH14APR08.wmv

BullGod said:
i wish. my job is selling domain name managment for 20 hours a week. The rest of the time I'm on my bike training....then on the weekend I go down hard in mass pile ups on the windswept cobblestones of Northern Holland...."elite zonder contract" (elite without contract) it's a great life!

watch the Bullgod (orange jersey no. 158 rolling on grass then getting up and riding off) take a tumble into the ditch at 10.40....http://www1.omropfryslan.nl/Player.aspx?t=v&fn=BOPPESLACH14APR08.wmv
Dude, you're living the life. You're riding your bike for endless hours per day and then you get to crash into moving cars..or crash into people who have crashed into cars..or something. :)

There's no need to ride more than 10hrs a week unless you're an elite/pro level racer.

Quality, not quantity.

Endurance you say? Pssh. If you can ride 2hrs, you can ride 5hrs, same metabolic system, assuming a simular pace.

velomanct said:
Endurance you say? Pssh. If you can ride 2hrs, you can ride 5hrs, same metabolic system, assuming a simular pace.

I'd go with that. I did a 10 hour event ride last year, but never train more than 4. Went OK. Did do a few other 5-6 hour "event" rides though.

BTW, average weekly 7-8.

B

No matter what the final outcome I give you alot of credit for taking the chance and trying to go after it...I really hope you reach the level of success you are looking in cycling...

BullGod said:

jsirabella said:
No matter what the final outcome I give you alot of credit for taking the chance and trying to go after it...I really hope you reach the level of success you are looking in cycling...
Thanks. It's certainly fun at the moment. Saturday was the Tour of South Friesland. There was a force 6 wind blowing behind us for the first 20km. Right after neutralisation the Batavus Transfer team put Aart Vierhouten (ex rabobank, lotto, shimano) on the front and the speed went up to above 70 km/h, with everyone strung out in a long line in the gutter. We were all on the 12 or even the 11, and of course there were gaps opening up and a couple of crashes. i was near the back grovelling and lost contact after just 10km. Tried to get back by surfing the team cars, but inlike the pro ranks they don't let you draft....even my own team car sped away from me out of a corner!

You would haved thought a tailwind would be Ok, but there is so much less draft effect, you virtually have to match the power of the fastest guys at the front, and 70km/h is out of my range right now.

180 starters.....29 finishers! After 20km only about 50 guys were still racing.

Thats insane. I hit 70kph for about 100 metres behind a bus once. I almost died.

(Note: Almost died from the effort not the bus)

With racing mainly MTB and XC races, and only a couple of road events, I do my training workouts 90 % on the road, with durations from 1 h - 6 h long.

coneofsilence said:
Thats insane. I hit 70kph for about 100 metres behind a bus once. I almost died.

(Note: Almost died from the effort not the bus)
yeah it wasn't easy. especially as you have to ride millimeters from the edge of the road, with trees, bollards, parked cars and spectators poking their noses out.

But here in Holland the wind decides everything. With tailwind and especially crosswind the race will go "aan de kant" (in the gutter) minutes after the end of neutralisation. The peloton gets strung out in a long line, and very quickly breaks up into "waaiers" (echelons). If you want to have a chance to win you need to be in the first waaier. If you want to finish the race you need to be in the 2nd or 3rd. There can often be 8 or more "waaiers", and the last ones are called the "Mongol Waaiers" - and these get pulled out of the race pretty early by the jury, so the cops can open the roads up for pointless sunday commuters again.

So the only thing to do is to get to the very front for the last moments of the neutralisation and go like hell for the first 20 minutes to get into one of the first echelons. As everyone wants to do this, it ain't easy, the roads can be narrow, with street "furniture" and there are often crashes. Get caught up in a crash, or have a mechanical, and you will never get back in the bunch unless you have protour speed. Once you're in an echelon the pace can be so high (especially in 1 and 2) that you can get shelled easily. Often the road is so narrow that there isn't room for everyone in the diagonal draft, and some guys are in single file in the gutter behind the protected riders in the diagonal line. These guys don't last long.

Racing in NL is tough. Much tougher than Belgium - that is more like a pro race - moderate tempo first hour and then cranking up for the finale, where it gets blown open. In NL the battle starts from the off. Plenty of talented foreign teams come over here with great palmares and not one of them even finishes. A Japanese pro showed up saturday and got nowhere. It's all about knowing what you're doing in the wind, and being strong and daring enough to get up front. Neutralisation is insane, guys all over the pavements and cycle lanes, grass verges, pushing and shoving, shouting. You can have 160 riders all riding in a space the size of a tennis court. I always start at the front and end up at the back by the official start ;-) Generally, at the moment I am severely lacking in speed, balls and experience....

BullGod said:
So the only thing to do is to get to the very front for the last moments of the neutralisation and go like hell for the first 20 minutes to get into one of the first echelons. As everyone wants to do this, it ain't easy, the roads can be narrow, with street "furniture" and there are often crashes.
So the field sprint comes at the beginning of the race, not at the end.

BullGod said:
Racing in NL is tough. ... Neutralisation is insane, guys all over the pavements and cycle lanes, grass verges, pushing and shoving, shouting. You can have 160 riders all riding in a space the size of a tennis court.
I'll stick to my desk job, thanks. Good luck!

BullGod said:
Thanks. It's certainly fun at the moment. Saturday was the Tour of South Friesland. There was a force 6 wind blowing behind us for the first 20km. Right after neutralisation the Batavus Transfer team put Aart Vierhouten (ex rabobank, lotto, shimano) on the front and the speed went up to above 70 km/h, with everyone strung out in a long line in the gutter. We were all on the 12 or even the 11, and of course there were gaps opening up and a couple of crashes. i was near the back grovelling and lost contact after just 10km. Tried to get back by surfing the team cars, but inlike the pro ranks they don't let you draft....even my own team car sped away from me out of a corner!

You would haved thought a tailwind would be Ok, but there is so much less draft effect, you virtually have to match the power of the fastest guys at the front, and 70km/h is out of my range right now.

180 starters.....29 finishers! After 20km only about 50 guys were still racing.
:eek::eek::eek: crazy crazy crazy fast... I coundn't even sprint that fast :eek: