Road tube(s) with Schraeder valve??

BigBen

Guest
Hi All,

Does susch a thing exist?

The smallest 700 tube I've found with Schraeder valve is recommended
for 28-37mm tyres, while I normally use 23 or 25mm tyres.

Would it be possible to fit such tubes in the kind of tyres I use?

TIA,
Big Ben

"BigBen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> Does susch a thing exist?
>
> The smallest 700 tube I've found with Schraeder valve is recommended
> for 28-37mm tyres, while I normally use 23 or 25mm tyres.
>
> Would it be possible to fit such tubes in the kind of tyres I use?

Yes, but a little more care is advised.

Inflating the tube with significant volume before installing will help. As
you work the bead on, let a little bit of air out with each inch of bead you
install just so that you can barely get the tire on. This will ensure that
the tube doesn't get twisted inside the tire. Use plastic tire levers, or
better yet, your bare hands. Inflate slowly to make sure the bead's on all
the way and that the tube isn't sandwiched between the tire and rim. Upon
the first hint of an unseated tire, stop inflating, deflate, and work it
around again.

To make life easier, consider using presta-valve tubes in the schrader rim
and a presta-schrader adapter if necessary.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:49:17 +0100, BigBen <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Does susch a thing exist?

Yes, but they're not as common as Prestas for the obvious reason.

Here's one:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=4862

>The smallest 700 tube I've found with Schraeder valve is recommended
>for 28-37mm tyres, while I normally use 23 or 25mm tyres.
>
>Would it be possible to fit such tubes in the kind of tyres I use?

Maybe. If the just-barely-inflated diameter of the tube is still
smaller than (or the same size as) the inside of the tire, then
there's no objection to using it. If the tube is too big, it is
likely to develop creases which will lead to early failure.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> > The smallest 700 tube I've found with Schraeder valve is
recommended
> > for 28-37mm tyres, while I normally use 23 or 25mm tyres.

Nashbar has 700C Schraeder valve stem 19-26 mm tubes. Should work fine
in your 23-25 mm tires.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=4862&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

> To make life easier, consider using presta-valve tubes in the

schrader rim
> and a presta-schrader adapter if necessary.

Nashbar has them.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=10513&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

BigBen wrote:

> Does susch a thing exist?
>
> The smallest 700 tube I've found with Schraeder valve is recommended
> for 28-37mm tyres, while I normally use 23 or 25mm tyres.
>
> Would it be possible to fit such tubes in the kind of tyres I use?

In addition to answers previously given by other posters, I'd like to
mention that Presta tubes should work fine in rims that have been drilled
for Schraeder valves; I've done this for a long time on one of my bikes
with no problems. What is your reason for wanting Schraeder valves?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

"BigBen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> Does susch a thing exist?
>
> The smallest 700 tube I've found with Schraeder valve is recommended
> for 28-37mm tyres, while I normally use 23 or 25mm tyres.
>
> Would it be possible to fit such tubes in the kind of tyres I use?
>
> TIA,
> Big Ben

And in another addition - if you go the presta route (as stated in another
post, it's possible) you can get a presta-schreader converter nut thing...
it allows you to use a "standard" pump for the smaller valves.
I've got one and it's been handy if travelling overseas etc and having to
pop into a garage for air (Mountain bike, so less pressure issues due to
larger volume) or indeed to share a pump with someone who's got the
schreader tubes.

AndyC

On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:32:21 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes, but a little more care is advised.

OK, I think I can manage that, as I've used kind of large 26" tubes in
26X1" tyres.

>To make life easier, consider using presta-valve tubes in the schrader rim

The other way around - my rims are drilled for Presta valves, but I
dislike them, to say the least ;-)

Thanks a lot!

BigBen

On 4 May 2005 15:25:28 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Nashbar has 700C Schraeder valve stem 19-26 mm tubes. Should work fine
>in your 23-25 mm tires.
>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=4862&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Great! I think I'll follow along that path. Can't understand why these
are hard to find in Europe...

>> and a presta-schrader adapter if necessary.

I have several. Most don't work as avertised - there's always air
escaping when I try to pump air inside. The only one that I have that
works - a Zefal adapter, with ruber seal - is still not my favourite
solution, as I don't trust it to last long.

Thanks a lot!
BigBen.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 16:03:29 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]>
wrote:

> What is your reason for wanting Schraeder valves?

My garage pump is meant for Schraeder valves; the only adpater that
I've seen working properly, is kind of cumbersome, and I don't trust
to last long; my wife's bike uses Schraeder valves; if you happen to
have a puncture during a ride, gas stations don't have a way of
letting you inflate a Presta valve tube.

Thank you,
BigBen.

> >> and a presta-schrader adapter if necessary.
>
> I have several. Most don't work as avertised - there's always air
> escaping when I try to pump air inside. The only one that I have that
> works - a Zefal adapter, with ruber seal - is still not my favourite
> solution, as I don't trust it to last long.

I think you are misinterpreting what a presta-schraeder adapter is.
The one you are thinking of allows one to inflate presta tubes with a
schreder pump. It screws onto the top of the presta stem and takes the
schraeder pump. Usually brass with a rubber O ring or two. Usually
costs $0.99. Usually just takes the place of the inner tube cap.

The adapter I am talking about is a little piece of aluminum that goes
in the schraeder hole on your rim and makes the hole smaller so the
skinny presta stem does not rattle around in the rim. Some of these
devices are also rubber grommets that go in the rim hole making it
smaller.

On 5 May 2005 08:59:02 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>And here is the rim adapter that makes the valve stem hole in the rim
>smaller so you can more safely use presta tubes in a rim drilled for
>schrader tubes. This is the one the question asker wants.

I'm sorry if I've misexplained myself, but I do have rims with Presta
wide holes, and wish to use Schraeder valve tubes in those rims. If I
can get the tubes, I will "enlarge" the hole for the valve, as I've
done before on other rims, with no problem whatsoever.

I have several Presta to Schraeder adapters, only one of them works
properly, but still I'd like to stop having to use it - it's much
easier to plug a garage pump into a Schraeder valve, and not having to
take along with me yet another "tool" while I'm riding.

I can hardly find any garage pump designed for Presta valves around
where I live, and much less any light pump to take along with me on
rides, that fits properly on a Presta valve.

Regards,
BigBen.

On Thu, 05 May 2005 17:39:02 +0100, BigBen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 May 2005 08:45:21 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I've used these for years with no problem whatsoever:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/ddo8m ...or...

>I some just like that, but without any rubber o-ring. Could that make
>a significant diference?.
>
>Also, what's the point of the metal cap on the Presta valves, which
>have to unscrew to inflate the tube, and then screw back?
>
>Regards,
>BigBen.

Dear Ben,

That's a lock-nut that makes sure that the wedge-shaped
Presta valve is pulled up tight and stays that way. Unlike a
Schrader valve, there's no internal spring to keep it in
place. (The Presta can get wedged into place, so to top up a
low bicycle tire you often have to over-pump before the air
pressure blows the valve open. Doing this on a floor pump
with an air gauge affords idle amusement.)

You have to have an O-ring seal that tightens around the
valve to pump up a Presta valve. Most pumps have a thumb
lever to tighten things, but air-hose Presta chucks often
just push on and off, relying on instant pressure to seal
the O-ring.

Places like www.performancebike.com and www.nashbar.com will
sell you sub-$25 frame, mini, and even floor pumps with
heads that handle both Schrader and Presta valves, either
with two holes or else quick-remove-and-reverse designs.
They work fine.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/category_tools.cfm

http://www.nashbar.com/subcategories.cfm?category=106

They often have sales and coupon codes:

http://www.edealinfo.com/Coupons/performancebike.shtml

http://www.edealinfo.com/Coupons/nashbar.shtml

I finally broke down and bought a handsome yellow floor pump
on sale with a nice pressure gauge and dual chuck and have
to admit that I use it at least as often as my air
compressor. This may be it:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16031&subcategory_ID=4360#

Among other reasons, the Presta valve is used on bicycles
because it's so thin and a tiny bit lighter.

The thinness means that the hole in a narrow racing rim is
smaller, so the wheel is a bit stronger. The bicycle tube
volume is so small compared to a tractor tire that the
slower inflation rate doesn't matter.

The lightness is psychologically important.

Carl Fogel

BigBen wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:32:21 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> To make life easier, consider using presta-valve tubes in the schrader
>> rim

> The other way around - my rims are drilled for Presta valves,

In that case you won't be able to fit Schraeder tubes. You could have the
holes made larger ... but only at the expense of compromising rim strength.

--

BigBen wrote:

> I can hardly find any garage pump designed for Presta valves around
> where I live, and much less any light pump to take along with me on
> rides, that fits properly on a Presta valve.

I've never seen a decent frame pump that doesn't work with Presta valves.
Some pumps, such as the Zefal frame pumps, have a little rubber washer and
plastic doohickey that you have to take out and reverse before the pump
will work with these valves.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:41:05 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]>
wrote:

>BigBen wrote:
>
>> I can hardly find any garage pump designed for Presta valves around
>> where I live, and much less any light pump to take along with me on
>> rides, that fits properly on a Presta valve.

>I've never seen a decent frame pump that doesn't work with Presta valves.
>Some pumps, such as the Zefal frame pumps, have a little rubber washer and
>plastic doohickey that you have to take out and reverse before the pump
>will work with these valves.

I know those, just tried one a while ago, and worked. Hapened to
choose a diferent pump to take along on rides, due to advertised
maximum pressure capable of inflating to.

The pump I use at the garage, though, although a Zefal, works
diferently: is has a separate part, which you push onto the Presta
valve, so that it's surrounded by a rubber washer, and then use the
Schraeder end of the pump to conect to that adaptor.

Due to the way it works, as explained above, I don't it will be long
before the rubber washer is destroyed by the thread in the Presta
valve. Maybe them I'll get a garage pump which works as you described,
which I also saw today, when looking for a small pump.

Regards,
BigBen.

On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:34:48 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> The other way around - my rims are drilled for Presta valves,

>In that case you won't be able to fit Schraeder tubes. You could have the
>holes made larger ... but only at the expense of compromising rim strength.

I've had that done before on a diferent pair of rims, with no problem
that I could relate to that. Actually, the front rim on which I did
that is still perfectly true, with no spokes broken, and no need for
trueing, since I can remember.

Regards,
BigBen

BigBen wrote:

> On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:34:48 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>> The other way around - my rims are drilled for Presta valves,

>> In that case you won't be able to fit Schraeder tubes. You could have
>> the holes made larger ... but only at the expense of compromising rim
>> strength.

> I've had that done before on a diferent pair of rims, with no problem
> that I could relate to that. Actually, the front rim on which I did
> that is still perfectly true, with no spokes broken, and no need for
> trueing, since I can remember.

Probably in most cases you'll get away with it, because you're not
operating right at the point of failure to begin with, but I certainly
wouldn't want to compromise my rims this way. However, for me the point is
moot because I prefer the Presta valves, and use them even on my Schrader
drilled rims.

One (but not the only) thing I prefer about Presta tubes it that it's much
easier to suck the air out of spare (patched) tubes before stowing them in
my seat bag. In just a few moments, with a little mouth action, I can roll
them up even smaller than they came in the box.

--

Carl Fogel writes:

>>> I've used these for years with no problem whatsoever:

>>> http://tinyurl.com/ddo8m ...or...

>> I some just like that, but without any rubber o-ring. Could that
>> make a significant difference?.

>> Also, what's the point of the metal cap on the Presta valves, which
>> have to unscrew to inflate the tube, and then screw back?

> That's a lock-nut that makes sure that the wedge-shaped Presta valve
> is pulled up tight and stays that way. Unlike a Schrader valve,
> there's no internal spring to keep it in place. (The Presta can get
> wedged into place, so to top up a low bicycle tire you often have to
> over-pump before the air pressure blows the valve open. Doing this
> on a floor pump with an air gauge affords idle amusement.)

That's not a good idea because just loosening the valve nut without
knocking the valve free often requires more than 250psi to open. Such
an over pressure has ruined a few pressure gauges that subsequently no
longer return to zero. Always use the pump chuck to knock the valve
free before pumping if you value the pressure gauge.

> You have to have an O-ring seal that tightens around the valve to
> pump up a Presta valve. Most pumps have a thumb lever to tighten
> things, but air-hose Presta chucks often just push on and off,
> relying on instant pressure to seal the O-ring.

The problem with this is that yanking the Presta chuck off under
pressure rapidly wears the grommet. I have built in a pressure relief
valve in these heads so that the grommet releases easily.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16031&subcategory_ID=4360#

Nice looking pump. In time I think you'll prefer to use only that.
The overhead of starting and using a motorized pump is anathema to
bicycle riding.

[email protected]

On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:04:55 GMT,
[email protected] wrote:

>>> I some just like that, but without any rubber o-ring. Could that
>>> make a significant difference?.

>>> Also, what's the point of the metal cap on the Presta valves, which
>>> have to unscrew to inflate the tube, and then screw back?

>> That's a lock-nut that makes sure that the wedge-shaped Presta valve
>> is pulled up tight and stays that way. Unlike a Schrader valve,
>> there's no internal spring to keep it in place. (The Presta can get
>> wedged into place, so to top up a low bicycle tire you often have to
>> over-pump before the air pressure blows the valve open. Doing this
>> on a floor pump with an air gauge affords idle amusement.)

>That's not a good idea because just loosening the valve nut without
>knocking the valve free often requires more than 250psi to open. Such
>an over pressure has ruined a few pressure gauges that subsequently no
>longer return to zero. Always use the pump chuck to knock the valve
>free before pumping if you value the pressure gauge.
>
>> You have to have an O-ring seal that tightens around the valve to
>> pump up a Presta valve. Most pumps have a thumb lever to tighten
>> things, but air-hose Presta chucks often just push on and off,
>> relying on instant pressure to seal the O-ring.

>The problem with this is that yanking the Presta chuck off under
>pressure rapidly wears the grommet. I have built in a pressure relief
>valve in these heads so that the grommet releases easily.
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16031&subcategory_ID=4360#
>
>Nice looking pump. In time I think you'll prefer to use only that.
>The overhead of starting and using a motorized pump is anathema to
>bicycle riding.
>
>[email protected]

Dear Jobst,

I suppose that an old Presta might wdege enough take 250 psi
to break loose, but mine routinely break loose at around 140
psi on the floor pump gauge, which then drops to about 120
psi, justifying the exercise to raise them back to 125 psi.

As for the compressor, it's awfully useful for inflating
motorcycle, trailer, and car tires, and its tank holds 125
psi for days. My chief excuse for the floor pump is that
it's a new toy and lets me play with pressure. The air
compressor is actually faster, since there's no thumb lock
to fiddle on the chuck and a long coiled hose for
convenience.

Carl Fogel