road tube with a 2 inch long valve...

Paul Nevai

Guest
Last year I bought a few 700x19-26C road bicycle tubes from Performance Bike,
the ones I always buy, and today when I opened them the first time I was
shocked to see that they all have 2 inch [5 cm] long valves. In the past all
the tubes I saw had 1.25 inch valves.

Is this normal? Could they be simply mispackaged? Can I use them on a normal
tire? Any suggestions?

I know I could send them back for replacement but it's a lots of extra work
which I'd like to avoid unless it's necessary.

Thanks, Paul

On 11 Sep 2004 01:55:51 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Nevai) wrote:

>Last year I bought a few 700x19-26C road bicycle tubes from Performance Bike,
>the ones I always buy, and today when I opened them the first time I was
>shocked to see that they all have 2 inch [5 cm] long valves. In the past all
>the tubes I saw had 1.25 inch valves.
>
>Is this normal? Could they be simply mispackaged? Can I use them on a normal
>tire? Any suggestions?
>
>I know I could send them back for replacement but it's a lots of extra work
>which I'd like to avoid unless it's necessary.

Those are needed for some aero rims, and other than the slightly
greater weight, they work just fine in rims that can use a shorter
valve. If you know somebody who has aero rims, offer to trade.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> Last year I bought a few 700x19-26C road bicycle tubes from Performance
> Bike,
> the ones I always buy, and today when I opened them the first time I was
> shocked to see that they all have 2 inch [5 cm] long valves. In the past
> all
> the tubes I saw had 1.25 inch valves.

Odd, that's the size I prefer, and I can't get them at my local Performance.

They will work fine, they just look funny. Careful when you inflate, it's
easier to bend the stem and give your self a flat.

My local Performance only carries only two sizes, but I find 3 lengths of
Presta stems in local shops:
1) Regular (approx 1.25 inches)
2) 48mm (probably what you have)
3) 68mm/Long (Super long, way to long even for my Velocity Deep V rims)

nospam*removethis*@snet.net aszonygya:
:>Is this normal? Could they be simply mispackaged? Can I use them on a normal
:>tire? Any suggestions?
:
:Use 'em.

OK guys. I appreciate your advice. All of you told me that it's OK to use it
so I will. Many thanks, Paul

[email protected] (Paul Nevai) wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> OK guys. I appreciate your advice. All of you told me that it's OK to
> use it so I will. Many thanks, Paul

Be careful when you pump up long stems in normal box rims. A sloppy pumping
technique can cause the stem to be tilted in the rim hole, which can cause
damage to your tube.

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:38:35 +0000, Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] (Paul Nevai) wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>> OK guys. I appreciate your advice. All of you told me that it's OK to
>> use it so I will. Many thanks, Paul

>Be careful when you pump up long stems in normal box rims. A sloppy pumping
>technique can cause the stem to be tilted in the rim hole, which can cause
>damage to your tube.

OTOH, with Prestas, I find the extra length gives me something to grab
so that I can stabilize the stem while I'm hooking up the air hose.
Of course, if all you have is a hoseless pump, then your caution
warning is very appropriate.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack <[email protected]> aszonygya:
:On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:38:35 +0000, Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
:
:>[email protected] (Paul Nevai) wrote in
:>news:[email protected]:
:>> OK guys. I appreciate your advice. All of you told me that it's OK to
:>> use it so I will. Many thanks, Paul
:>
:>Be careful when you pump up long stems in normal box rims. A sloppy pumping
:>technique can cause the stem to be tilted in the rim hole, which can cause
:>damage to your tube.
:
:OTOH, with Prestas, I find the extra length gives me something to grab
:so that I can stabilize the stem while I'm hooking up the air hose.
:Of course, if all you have is a hoseless pump, then your caution
:warning is very appropriate.

Good advice even with "hosed" pumps. Best regards, Paul

'Normal' lengths are 36mm, 48mm and 60mm.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302