http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=2537

cheap, and if the review (from a good source) is anything to go by great value/quality

raving Review Here

On 2006-01-04, dgarry (aka Bruce)

> Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for road tyres.. I'm
> currently using Michelin Axial Pro's but they're pretty worn and get
> sliced up with all the glass that is currently on the road after x-mas
> so it looks like it's time to replace them..

I was about to recommend against Rubino pro folding tires, given the
amount of punctures I have had since changing the tires -- must have
offended the puncture gods in all my gloating before I changed over.

Then I realised that some of the frustration I was feeling towards
them stems from the puncture I had lastnight. In my dreams. Some
peice of wood with a double ended nail bent over twice -- caused a
puncture, but didn't let the tire down until I pulled it out.

I have weird dreams.

But still, I've had more than my fair share on the pros. Might go the
GP3000 or 4000 next time.

--
TimC
Did you know that in German, Usenet bulletin boards are called

TimC wrote:
<snip>
> Then I realised that some of the frustration I was feeling towards
> them stems from the puncture I had lastnight. In my dreams. Some
> peice of wood with a double ended nail bent over twice -- caused a
> puncture, but didn't let the tire down until I pulled it out.
>
> I have weird dreams.

<snip>

As soon as I fell asleep, I had this horrible dream that I got hit by a
car in the wet as I cornered - the car was sliding. It was silver. The
dream freaked me out and I woke up shaking. So when it was raining this
morning, I didn't ride.

Tam

Worried about cuts & punctures I would probably go along the lines of the
Maxxis Re-Fuse , belted but still relatively fast, plus nice bright colours.
Steve

Steve wrote:
> Worried about cuts & punctures I would probably go along the lines of the
> Maxxis Re-Fuse , belted but still relatively fast, plus nice bright colours.

Be aware that "nice bright colours" is not a feature. They reduce
grip. Sheldon & Jobst will explain ...

dgarry wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for road tyres..

You don't say what you want them for, so I'll assume it's recreational riding/training.

My faves for general purpose use are Michelin Carbons. Relatively cheap, last well, roll nicely.

Cheers,

Suzy

There is a necessary compromise between durability and speed. You can't
really have both. Don't believe the stuff about kevlar, miracle alien
inserts etc.

I'm loving my Continental Touring 2000 (28mm) with lots of rubber and
very few punctures. Becoming more philosophical about people passing me
all the time.

dgarry said:
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for road tyres..
I've gone back to Conti 4Seasons after trying some lite wogo tyre that the Kevlar belt had less resistance to 'push through' than Wonder Soft dunny paper. I'm happy to give up some speed for punctureless bliss on my biggish-solo-adventures.

Jay "anyone up for Collingwood to Healesville with a double Don rd & back this Sunday?" Woo

People are always going to tell you what they like, but it may not work for you.

I used to be a die hard Michelin girl, but I do find that they cut easily. Right now I have continental tyres. They are awesome, but I think they retail at around $65 each. That said, I've done a few thousand km on them without a flat tyre.

The Continental GP 4000's are absolutely sensational. In saying that, I've only had them on for 3 weeks. Yesterday I rode through a pile of god only knows what, and both mates flatted, but I didn't. Cool.

They roll much better than the 3000's which were very bloody sluggish IMHO. Before the GP 4000's came out I would have said the michelin pro race 2's, but only as they are very very fast. The GP 4000's are fast and seemingly bullet-proof.

monsterman said:
The Continental GP 4000's are absolutely sensational. In saying that, I've only had them on for 3 weeks. Yesterday I rode through a pile of god only knows what, and both mates flatted, but I didn't. Cool.

They roll much better than the 3000's which were very bloody sluggish IMHO. Before the GP 4000's came out I would have said the michelin pro race 2's, but only as they are very very fast. The GP 4000's are fast and seemingly bullet-proof.
well I have been using the Pro race 2's for ages now and if I take care of them, regularly rub off, debris if I ride through it, keep them pumped up nice and hard, I have very little problems and they are great wheels. My Brothers new bike as Continental GP 4000s on them and he says they are fantastic, feel as good as the pro race 2's and feel as fast, I have been considering giving them a try next time I am up for new wheels, as I have heard good things about them from quite a few people.

might even try those "equipe legere" tyres a go as well, sounds like a good review!

MikeyOz said:
. My Brothers new bike as Continental GP 4000s on them and he says they are fantastic, feel as good as the pro race 2's and feel as fast, I have been considering giving them a try next time I am up for new wheels, as I have heard good things about them from quite a few people.

My new 4000s punctured after only 100k. Pinprick hole. Hope I was very unlucky.
My regular commuter runs Conti Travel Contacts(700-32). I've picked a thorn out of those that hadn't reached the tube.

monsterman said:
The Continental GP 4000's are absolutely sensational. In saying that, I've only had them on for 3 weeks. Yesterday I rode through a pile of god only knows what, and both mates flatted, but I didn't. Cool.

They roll much better than the 3000's which were very bloody sluggish IMHO. Before the GP 4000's came out I would have said the michelin pro race 2's, but only as they are very very fast. The GP 4000's are fast and seemingly bullet-proof.
They ain't bullet-proof when you ride through a broken bottle on new years day :(. But yeah I love them, no punctures until then, with about 3500km chalked up.

PHP:
essendon93 said:
They ain't bullet-proof when you ride through a broken bottle on new years day :(. But yeah I love them, no punctures until then, with about 3500km chalked up.
PHP:

As a rule I dont ride city streets the day after new years or melbourne cup (and yes I'm in Brisbane!) The number of broken beer bottles in the streets is astounding.

"monsterman"
> As a rule I dont ride city streets the day after new years or melbourne
> cup (and yes I'm in Brisbane!) The number of broken beer bottles in the
> streets is astounding.

**** isn't it? I was down at Coffs Harbour over NY, went for a 160km ride
through the hills on new years day, got a puncture 1km from home as I came
back through town, broken stubbies everywhere.

For tyre recommendations check out the google groups archives - it's been
done plenty of times before.

For my 2 cents worth, i've been using michelin pro race 2 as they are cheap
when on special at probikekit.com and have had hardly any punctures until
they are really worn - I've found the only real way to avoid punctures is
replacing them before they get too worn, and checking tyre pressures every
2nd day. I'm not organised enough to know how many kms I get out of
tyres,chains etc so don't know how long they last.

Everyone has their own preference but the worst tyres I've found were
vittoria ks race tyres. Very fast but they cut up so badly after only 2 road
races I didn't want to use them anymore, *especially* in an important race,
so that was a complete waste of money.

I picked up a pair of Conti Grand Prix S in a bargain bin, they've been
probably the longest lasting and puncture resistant tyres I've used
recently.

Adam

Loving the Schwalbe Stelvios (I hope that is the correct spelling.. could not be bothered going out to the garage to check) at the moment...a bit heavy but who cares? They have been through a heap of glass and seem to have come out the other side unscathed... :)

monsterman said:
As a rule I dont ride city streets the day after new years or melbourne cup (and yes I'm in Brisbane!) The number of broken beer bottles in the streets is astounding.
Welcome to the bogan capital of 'Straya mayte.

I can't believe how many people go out in Brisbane on NYE - I avoid it like the plague, having gone out in the city just once in 7 years of being old enough (I came, I saw, I never went back).

Lotte

JayWoo said:
I've gone back to Conti 4Seasons after trying some lite wogo tyre that the Kevlar belt had less resistance to 'push through' than Wonder Soft dunny paper. I'm happy to give up some speed for punctureless bliss on my biggish-solo-adventures.

Jay "anyone up for Collingwood to Healesville with a double Don rd & back this Sunday?" Woo
What's with all the glass *STILL* around?! Is smashing bottles a new Drunkard's sport?!:mad: :mad: :mad:
I cleaned the 'love of my life' good & proper Fri-dee-nite, & whacked on some Conti GP400's I'd had stashed for the AAC. After the weekend's rides, can't say I noticed the dif in roll between them & the Conti 4 Seasons. On Sat-dee-morn I did a ezi roll down Be-arch rd and rode through a couple of patched of glass. Got home, wiped them clean to see how they faired; couldn't find any nicks?! Noice:)