Road tyre recommendations

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mnetherc, Dec 21, 2003.

1. mnetherc

mnetherc New Member

I've recently tried a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro's on my bike. Great tyres, only problem is I need superman strength to mount the tyres on and off the rims. Plus the rear tyre is slashed beyond repair so I'm after some recommendations on some replacements.

I have Mavic CXP21 rims, and after talking to a few people the general concensus seems to be that these rims are notoriously tight. Anyone else with these rims find they are particularly hard to mount certain tyres?

Even after taking the Rubino Pros off 7 or 8 times to change puntures or change to other tyres the bead has never seemed to loosen at all, so I wont be buying those again until I get a different wheelset as it takes far too much effort to change tyres, and inevitably I end up puncturing the tubes with a tyre lever trying to pry them back on after spending 10 mins trying to get them on by hand.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent training/racing tyre in a 700x23c which is similar in price and weight to a Rubino Pro (215gms), decent puncture resistance but most of all is easy to get on and off these damn rims?

Tags:

2. jmcmillanut

jmcmillanut New Member

I'm partial to Michelins.

I have really liked my Axial Carbon Comps w/ dual compound tread (actually, they are slicks). Very sticky on the corners. These are heavier than what you are looking for (@264 g), but the Michelin Pro Races are only 224g. I had similar trouble mounting Continentals on my R540 wheel set, but found the Michelins to be more pliable.

3. Rudy

Rudy New Member

well I like my Michelins too as well. They're the carbon but without the "Axial" labels on them. Supposedly, these are newer version of the tires that replaced the "Axial" carbon model.

just my 2 cents.

4. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

I´ve just fitted a Rubino Pro to a Mavic Classics wheel , no problem and to an Open pro ( but that was by mistake ) again no problem , ¿ have you tried talc , washing liquid or spit as a lubricante ?
    re the axial Carbon , it may grip when it´s laid all the way over but upright and on a damp road it´s a bit iffy if you want to brake or change direction in a hurry .

5. jmcmillanut

jmcmillanut New Member

Thanks for the info. What do you ride for wet conditions?

My Michelins are sticky because we get about 4-6 inches (10-15cm) of precip. annually. No wet roads, just rednecks in pickup trucks.

6. Rudy

Rudy New Member

LOL....be careful, rednecks may think you're the possums

7. will1988

will1988 New Member

Continentials gp3000 work well for me.

8. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

They work for everybody but who can afford them ? They cost more than double the Rubino pro ( a lot more ) and you can still trash them first ride on a broken bottle or piece of steel lying in the gutter . Might try the ultra gator skin if you can live with the weight of this town / training tyre . :confused:

9. tafi

tafi Member

Where i am GP3000s are the cheapest race tyres and I've been able to get 3000km out of a pair on crapy Sydney roads. They grip like nothing else and retain most of their grip in the wet. I find that Michelin's feel positively dead (unless pumped well above the recomended pressure) and they are the hardest tyres to get onto the rim. I use gatorskins for training, similar grip to the GP3000 but much longer wearing (the pair I have has been on the bike for nearly 18 months!). I've used them in more than a few crit races without problem (even in the wet).
    Bontrager race extralites are good too. Similar grip and will take enough pressure too. They are a bit soft though and tend to get small cuts really quickly.

10. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Nuff said , but here in Europe Conti´s cost a fortune - wish I could afford them .

11. WishIhadthelegs

WishIhadthelegs New Member

Michelins. I like the Pro Race. Doesn't cut as readily as the older Axial Pros. Good in wet conditions and you can expect about 5K on a rear withou replacement or rotation. They can crack at the sidewall though. Pretty easily to mount even on aero rims. Simple on box sections.

12. rayner

rayner New Member

Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent training/racing tyre in a 700x23c which is similar in price and weight to a Rubino Pro (215gms), decent puncture resistance but most of all is easy to get on and off these damn rims? [/B][/QUOTE]

Maxxis Xephyr Deux categorie are damn good value training tyres that you could race on for minor events. Swapped my back one onto the front a couple of months ago and shes still looking good after 16000 (couple of cracks just starting to open up). May be a bit heavier than what your looking for 250 for a 20c 290 for a 23c. Should cost around 40 bucks. If you decide to go this way buy a red one because the other colours seem to be softer and wear quicker. If theyre to heavy go for the gp3000s