Road tyre wear and replacement

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:53:28 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> On a treadless tire, it's difficult to know how much of the tread has worn unless you remove it
> from the rim.

David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
: I don't see why. Look at the tire surface. Do you see casing? If so, it is worn out.

that only tells you when it's worn out. you still have difficulty knowing "how much of the tread has
worn unless you remove it from the rim," as mike originally said. he's right, that's a downside of
slicks. oh, well. no big deal.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

David Reuteler wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:53:28 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
>>On a treadless tire, it's difficult to know how much of the tread has worn unless you remove it
>>from the rim.
>

> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I don't see why. Look at the tire surface. Do you see casing? If so, it is worn out.
>
> that only tells you when it's worn out. you still have difficulty knowing "how much of the tread
> has worn unless you remove it from the rim," as mike originally said. he's right, that's a
> downside of slicks. oh, well. no big deal.

I'm surprised the tire manufacturers haven't introduced wear-indicator marks on their slick tires as
a sales promoter. It could be advertized as a feature and some people will actually replace the tire
prematurely as soon as the wear indicator shows and that should increase sales volumes. OTOH,
consumers who actually care about the mileage of their bike tires and would be turned off by models
that wear out too quickly will probably ignore the wear indicators and continue to run their tires
until the cords start to show.

This seems to be the technique used by Gillette with their 'Mach 3' razor blades. The blades
actually last for a long time, but the color indicator band that's supposed to tell you when to
replace the blade fades away after only a few shaves. Brilliant marketing.

You can look at the cross section of a fully inflated tire. The rear tire wears mostly in the
middle, and hence a worn tire has a flat center region. After you decide to discard a tire - for
tread wear or for damage - try cutting it to see how thick the tread is. This can help you determine
if the inflated tire has much tread remaining.

-Bruce

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:53:28 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > On a treadless tire, it's difficult to know how much of the tread has
worn
> > unless you remove it from the rim.
>
> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I don't see why. Look at the tire surface. Do you see casing? If so,
it
> : is worn out.
>
> that only tells you when it's worn out. you still have difficulty knowing "how much of the tread
> has worn unless you remove it from the rim," as
mike
> originally said. he's right, that's a downside of slicks. oh, well. no big deal.
> --
> david reuteler [email protected]

Verdistein tire have a red band of puncture proofing that acts like a ware indicator!