Road tyres clincher

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by nurul, Feb 23, 2004.

1. nurul

nurul New Member

Currently using:

michelin pro race (rear) 20mm yr 2003
    michelin pro light (front) 23mm yr 2003

This bike is used for serious training on good roads in Barcelona and hill climb time trials. keep tyres clean and inflate to 100-110 psi.

These tyres replaced:

Vittoria cx tt (front and rear 19mm) yr 2000

which lasted about 500 miles each before shearing and wearing.

I am happy with the Michelins and weigh 1 stone or 70kgs but my racing weight is more 10 stone or 10lbs.

I have been looking at the Continental GP3000. What are they like.
    Alternatives are Hutchinsons.

We all are different weights, ride differently and our respective countries or regions have varying road qualities and rain.
    I am tired of using so called "training tyres" in the winter when I see nothing wrong with all round race tyres year round. Why use a lower quality tyres when road surfaces are worse.
    I do like a tyre around 200g and the above metioned tyres go for around 20 pounds or $40 each in the UK.

Other alternatives are Vittoria, Vredestein et al.

Can we arrive at a definitve bike tyre?
    As a small anecdote I use red Michelin Megamium formerly know as Axial somethings (correct me there) on my Cannondale.However in summer 2003 I lost my front wheel on a turn into a car park and ended up in hospital with abrasions. I checked the area and found no real change in surface. They are tough but maybe it was just bad luck.This is why I have been put off by "training tyres.

Tags:

2. Ted B

Ted B New Member

I've been having very good luck with TUFO tyres (Czech). The quality seems to be high, the price reasonable, and they appear to be very durable.

As much as I enjoy riding tubulars (Campy Hyperons), I will be getting a set of clincher wheels for training. I am going to try the TUFO C S33 Special tubular/clincher, which is like having a tubular tire that mounts to a clincher rim, and takes up to 175psi - 12 bar. At first glance they appear to be heavy at ~330g, but when you take into account that most inner tubes used for clincher tires weigh well over 100g, it works out about even.

http://www.tufo.com

Just a suggestion you may find useful.

3. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I've had great luck, personally, with Mich. Pro Races, and with Vredestien Fortezza TriComps.

I've mounted a pair of Vittoria CX TTs on a new set of wheels, and haven't put any miles on them yet (though your experience isn't very encouraging).

4. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

Currently using Michelin Axial Carbon x23c for daily use/training. (now just called Michelin Carbon), and have been very pleased. Have been extremely durable with reasonable ride quality. (Plus I got them on sale for less than 50% :cool: )

Had very poor results with Vredestein Tricomps myself (very short life, poor quality for the price) though others seem to be be happy with them.

My favorite tires of all time were Michelin SuperComp HD's x20c, but alas they don't make them anymore. :mad:

5. Cipher

Cipher New Member

I also used a pair of Michelin Axial Carbon (23's) for a season with good results. (I had heard they were prone to side wall cuts, but I never saw any of that...) I currently use Michelin Pro Race (23's) and am very pleased with them so far. (Found them for the same price as the Michelin Axial Carbons, so I had to give 'em a try).

6. tafi

tafi Member

I find that the best tyres for carving corners are the conti GP3000s They're not slow on the straight and narrow either.
    I've tried plenty of tyres in the last two years including Veloflex Pave (feel dead in comparison to the GP3000s), Michelin Pro Race (bit dead and cornering is not as fast - they are crap in the wet), Michelin Axial Carbon (very tough training tyre but like all michelins should be kept for dry weather), Continental Gatorskins (these are the best trainers I have seen. They wear so well - 1.5 years of B/A grade on current pair so far - and have plenty of grip for training and racing).

7. ghsmith54

ghsmith54 New Member

I ride in Texas on chip seal roads which are a very rough, abrasive surface. In the past year, I've used the Hutchinson Carbon, Conti GP 3000 and Michelin Pro Race. Of the three, I definitely like the Pro Race the best - good mileage, decent (though not great) performance, certainly good enough for a training tire.

I just mounted a set of Conti Attack/Force tires last night and am looking forward to seeing how they compare.

Greg