road tyres for 26" wheels

Ive got a Dawes Sardar 26" wheel tourer, that Im about to use for
commuting. The schwalbe marathon tyres feel quite sluggish, so am
looking to change to either Panaracer Pasela Kevlar Tourguard (1.25) or
Conti Top Touring (1.75) - any ideas if these will reduce rolling
resistance somewhat. The bike is quite heavy, Im carrying 2 full
panniers, and Im not a lightweight rider (!!) - so want to find
something suitable.

Any opinions ?

[email protected] wrote:
> Ive got a Dawes Sardar 26" wheel tourer, that Im about to use for
> commuting. The schwalbe marathon tyres feel quite sluggish, so am
> looking to change to either Panaracer Pasela Kevlar Tourguard (1.25)
> or Conti Top Touring (1.75) - any ideas if these will reduce rolling
> resistance somewhat.

The Pasela is not a particularly quicky tyre but will have lower rolling
resistance than a wider Marathon when pumped up properly. I'm pleased with
the ones I use on my tourer.
Top Touring's RR won't be very much different from what you have now.

> The bike is quite heavy, Im carrying 2 full
> panniers, and Im not a lightweight rider (!!) - so want to find
> something suitable.

Also consider Schwalbe City Jet 1.5 and Vredestein S-Lick 1.3. Difficult
choice because they're all good. Probably the S-Lick is quickest of all
these but you might want a bit more width and depth of rubber. I think
Pasela is the best compromise if 1.25 is wide enough, otherwise City Jet.

~PB

[email protected] wrote:

> Ive got a Dawes Sardar 26" wheel tourer, that Im about to use for
> commuting. The schwalbe marathon tyres feel quite sluggish, so am
> looking to change to either Panaracer Pasela Kevlar Tourguard (1.25) or
> Conti Top Touring (1.75) - any ideas if these will reduce rolling
> resistance somewhat. The bike is quite heavy, Im carrying 2 full
> panniers, and Im not a lightweight rider (!!) - so want to find
> something suitable.
>
> Any opinions ?

I recommend S-Licks because of their puncture resistance and extreme
grippiness. They're very hard to fit on some rims (e.g. Sun Rhyno Lite)
and very easy on others (e.g. DT XR 4.1).

<[email protected]> wrote

> Ive got a Dawes Sardar 26" wheel tourer, that Im about to use for
> commuting. The schwalbe marathon tyres feel quite sluggish, so am
> looking to change to either Panaracer Pasela Kevlar Tourguard (1.25) or
> Conti Top Touring (1.75) - any ideas if these will reduce rolling
> resistance somewhat. The bike is quite heavy, Im carrying 2 full
> panniers, and Im not a lightweight rider (!!) - so want to find
> something suitable.

The TTs give a supremely comfortable ride. But they are heavy and the large
surface area picks up a lot of water from wet roads so mudguards are
essential (which adds more weight).

I use Paselas now. I get about 2000 miles from the back one
before the casing starts to weaken and leave thin tread patches. Probably
partly due to pumping them up hard and riding on gravel.

I don't think I saw much difference in average speed between them.