Road vs. ATB Threadless Stem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Patnaude, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Is there any real difference between road and ATB threadless stems. A model that I am looking at
    seems to have the same specifications for the road and ATB model, but the ATB model is $10 cheaper.
    The length, material, rise, and weight all are the same.

    Thanks, Dave P.

    Tags:

  2. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    >David Patnaude [email protected] wrote: >Is there any real difference
    between road and ATB threadless stems. A model
    >that I am looking at seems to have the same specifications for the road and ATB model, but the ATB
    >model is $10 cheaper. The length, material, rise, and weight all are the same.

    Check the size of the stem where it fits on the fork and handlebar. If they are the same as yours it
    should fit.

    tim

  3. david-<< Is there any real difference between road and ATB threadless stems

    Most MTB stems are for a 25.4mm handlebar, many road stems are for a 26mm handlebar. If the
    handlebar you are going to use is 25.4mm...use the MTB stem.

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    David Patnaude <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there any real difference between road and ATB threadless stems. A model that I am looking at
    >seems to have the same specifications for the road and ATB model, but the ATB model is $10 cheaper.
    >The length, material, rise, and weight all are the same.

    The steer tube clamp is the same, but the handlebar clamp will be different. MTB handlebars have a
    25.4mm diameter, while most road bars are 26.0. That may sound "close enough" but I wouldn't
    recommend mixing the two specs. A handlebar is a terrible thing to break.

  5. Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > The steer tube clamp is the same, but the handlebar clamp will be different. MTB handlebars have a
    > 25.4mm diameter, while most road bars are 26.0. That may sound "close enough" but I wouldn't
    > recommend mixing the two specs. A handlebar is a terrible thing to break.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

    Thanks for the replies. I will need to find the proper road stem with 26.0 mm diameter.

    Thanks, Dave

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "David Patnaude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > The steer tube clamp is the same, but the handlebar clamp will be different. MTB handlebars have
    > > a 25.4mm diameter, while most road bars are 26.0. That may sound "close enough" but I wouldn't
    > > recommend mixing the two specs. A handlebar is a terrible thing to break.
    > >
    > > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
    > >

    > Thanks for the replies. I will need to find the proper road stem with 26.0 mm diameter.
    >
    > Thanks, Dave

    Tell you the truth, I wouldn't bother. The Ritchey Pro stems I've been using with my road bars: 26.0
    and 26.4 work just great. I would keep an eye out for stray cracks, but otherwise run 'em.

    Mike

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "David Patnaude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any real difference between road and ATB threadless stems. A
    model
    > that I am looking at seems to have the same specifications for the road
    and
    > ATB model, but the ATB model is $10 cheaper. The length, material, rise, and weight all are
    > the same.

    Handlebar diameter is probably 25.4 on the "ATB" model and 26.0 on the "Road" . And they may have
    more volume in ATB, especially if they have an oem customer for it.