Road Wallet / Jersey Pouch...what Do You Use?

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
I've always been a Ziploc bag guy, myself. Thin, light weight, waterproof, inexpensive. The only drawback I can think of is that by the time I get the phone out it has already gone to voicemail and I need to call back.

Lately I've seen a bunch of 'road wallets' and jersey pocket bags on the market. Syncros...Sticky Pods...those recycled inner tube things...Blackburn's VIP series...Timbuk2...a bunch of hipster and home-sewn brands...LeZyne...Cannondale...Genuine Innovations...BM Works...it seems like everyone and his brother-in-law is selling their version of a ride wallet, jersey stash bag or whatever the cool kids are calling it this week. There's even some stupid Caleefornya outfit palming off some uber classy high-end hipster leather jersey wallet...yeah, that will hold up well to rain, sweat and Phil Wood lubricants.

Are they any improvement over the reliable old kitchen freezer grade Ziploc baggie?

So what are you using? Benefits? Pro's and con's? I'm carrying the phone, a 6.3" long mini-pump, a few dead presidents, the car keys and a small Park Tool mini-tool in the jersey pocket.

And before anyone brings it up, to Hell with Rule #31 and people that follow 'the rules'.

For the Unaware: The Rules; http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Those rules are crazy. Whatever happened to just do what you need to do and have a good time?

I wear a backpack purse all the time, not even going to tell you what all is in it. If the ziplock is working for you, why not keep using it? I don't think it's necessary to purchase a lot of expensive accessories just because someone says it's the cool thing to do.

ambition said:
Saddle pouch for short rides, old camelbak mule for anything long.
You have one for sale? Cheap?

You know, just to drum up some quick, desperately needed cash?

Ziplock bag works for me, still. Phone, a few bills, debit card, license and health insurance card. You never know when you'll need the last two items.

Tools and tubes----saddle wedge. One, they're always there and not forgotten when you leave in a rush. Two, crashing with sharp objects, and CO-2 canisters in my jersey, doesn't appeal to me. The Rules were probably written by dudes who had team cars following them.

I think 'The Rules' was written by morons, for morons.

I have violated Rule 31 since 1972...anybody remember Sew-Up Socks? I'll be go to Hell if I'm stuffing Clement tubs in my pocket or wearing a tire criss-cross / figure 8 on my back.

Yeah, I have the smallest 'Transit' brand seat bag secured under every one of my daily drivers. The track bike has a most excellent, classic Bike Nashbar sew-up bag under the saddle. Taking a hard fall with a 15 MM combination wrench or Campy Peanut Butter wrench in my pocket sounds like a surgeon's golf course story..."You should have seen me retrieve this Snap-On fully polished combo wrench from this biker dude's right kidney!".

No thanks.

CO2, inflator, patch kit, tube, Schrader adaptor, tire boot, tire irons, spoke wrench go under the seat. And the EPO, too.

The Syncros wallet and a micro pump 'looks' good, but the wallet doesn't look any too secure or waterproof.

The Sticky Pods Small bag looks like it might work, but could be fairly bulky. The Large size is just...too large.

I wear a good, ol' fashioned fannie pack. It's really all I need. I am new to this, so i might change my mind later. i don't carry any more than absolutely necessary so it is more than adequate.

Road bike: Tube, tools, CO2 go in a container called a Keg (made by specialized) in my second bottle cage while the phone, cash and credit/debit card go in a snack sized ziploc bag in the jersey.

On rides longer than a metric century.... I use the second bottle cage so I mount an xlab clamp/gorilla cage under the saddle.

MTB: I have a Camelback, though the phone still goes in a ziploc bag.

I try to be minimalist and carry as little as possible.

I bought a 'small' Sticky Pods. Other than the obnoxious logo (the only thing more gay would be a blue shimaNO logo), it seems to be OK. It holds my cell, a Park Tool IB-2 mini tool sleeved inside a 2" length of old inner tube and a few dead presidents.

As expected, my Topeak Rocket Carbon 160 MM long mini-pump will not fit inside. I ordered a Barbieri Nana 129 MM long pump which, theoretically, should fit inside and allow the zipper to close. It should also...theoretically...reach 42 PSI in only 9,250 strokes. But hey, no one ever said being a carbon micro pump that's hand made in Italy was easy.

The Sticky Pods are not water proof and barely water resistant. I'll still keep a Ziploc bag folded up inside one of the pockets to stash the cell in when I get caught out in a sudden downpour .

The Sticky Pods is sort of that...sticky. Despite the name, rubber gripper bumps (sort of like those gloves with the rubber grip dots on the palm) and claim not to jump up out of your jersey pocket, it really is no more 'sticky' than a Ziploc bag with a couple heavy rubber bands around it. It all the years I've been riding, I can not recall losing anything out of a jersey pocket.

It does ride nice in the center pocket. Since it pretty much fills a racing jersey pocket to capacity, it does not move around. Duh.

The one thing I do notice is the added weight. At least in my hand. After I loaded it, it felt noticeably heavier than my old Ziploc setup. Maybe it's the extra weight of that hideous brand logo?

I will use this bag in the interim, but the search for the perfect replacement bag continues.

Recommendations? Reviews? I'm listening.