Road Wheels, Kysrium SL or Eurus

nurul

Jan 4, 2004
OK guys, I have done the research, heard the bull****, listened to the marketing, read the websites, rationalised the weight versus £$, 15 yrs of riding experience.
I have a budget of 400 max and can afford to go for 2004 Campag Eurus or Mavic SSC SL in silver (or at £300 the Campag Zondas).
I have checked availability and consensus on FSA, American Classic, etc etc and many thnaks to those who have helped me to research within this forum and all your kind hints and details.
Check out what bikes I used on my signature and these will be for my CAAD3.
So what's it to be.Lets hear from 04 Ksyrium users, 04 Eurus users and that rare breed, the Zonda user and if anyone can source some FSA 200 or 400 for under £400 in the UK let me know now and add to the discussion. YEs I know that Zipp and Reynolds, Giemme exist amongst a plethora of others. Am I to be won by marketing power?

The Ksyriums are really stiff. Alot of people call them unforgiving and dog on them because of their harshness and higher weight than comparable wheels. I like the stiffness in the wheels. I have a pair and they are bombproof. The almost never go out of true. Sturdy and durable. The Campy Eurus are ok, but its a totally different type wheelset. My vote is for the Kysriums.

Originally posted by BaCardi
The Campy Eurus are ok, but its a totally different type wheelset. My vote is for the Kysriums.

What makes them a totally different type of wheelset?

What is the primary attribute that your looking for in a wheel? Weight? Aero? Durable? Stiff?

I was faced with the exact same decision and went with the Eurus. They are lighter (by a 50g) and more aero than the Ksyriums. Only time will tell for me but others I've talked to and reviews I've read indicate that they are very durable as well. I have only test ridden the Ksyriums so I can attest to have stiff they are vs. the Eurus; however the Eurus are plenty stiff for me.

Scott

Originally posted by scottshields
What is the primary attribute that your looking for in a wheel? Weight? Aero? Durable? Stiff?

Scott

Everyone's priorities for a wheelset are different. Ranking near the top of my priority list is durability. Especially for wheelsets that cost as much as the ones of today. I see those Campy wheels as being lighter in weight. The durability of the Kysiriums are good, at least accorinding to most the the reviews I have seen on the internet. Those Campy ones haven't been out as long and so only time will tell.

I've got a set of the 04 Ksyriums. I used to ride the 2001 Ksyriums until I got a pair of the 04's. The 04's are definitely stiffer than the 01's. I'm about 175 and ride a litespeed. Never tried the Zurus but I have rode the Neutrons for 100 miles. The neutrons are bit more forgiving but I decided on the Ksyriums simply because of my positive experience with the 01 Ksyriums. After 200 miles on the road in San Diego - no problems.