Road wheels on a mtb hardtail.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ricitius, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Ricitius

Ricitius New Member

Can you fit road wheels on a mtb frame by using spacers instead of narrowing the wheel space or using mtb hubs on a road rim?

Tags:

2. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

It's do-able. You have to make sure that the axle is the right length. too short and your hub rests on the QR skewer. Too long and your QR won't secure the hub into the frame. If you're trying to fit a 700c wheel on a mountain bike frame you will likely have brake issues and maybe some tire clearance problems too.

3. Ricitius

Ricitius New Member

Hmm... I thought about the brake problem for a bit and then I saw the holes above the tires. I think they are for those guards to keep from mud splashing onto you. I wonder if I have enough clearance. How much bigger is a road wheel from a mtb wheel?

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

You really do want the wheel to be laced to a 135mm hub unless the frame is made of steel & you have the rear triangle re-spaced to 130mm ... squishing (to use a non-technical term) or spreading the rear triangle to fit a wheel not intended for the particular bike (e.g., 126mm to 130mm) leaves the derailleur hanger A LITTLE OFF, and you really want the derailleur hanger to be properly aligned for reliable indexed shifting.

The attached picture is a project bike I'm working on (well, it just needs cables/housing, a chain, the front brake caliper, and some handelbar wrap) ...

I laced a 700c rim to a 135mm hub ...

If your ROAD wheel is already laced to a Shimano hub, then you can just swap the axle for a longer one from a Shimano MTB hub and add 2mm spacers to each side (that'll be close enough if you don't want to re-dish the wheel).

FWIW. The rear brake is a long-reach Tektro, but I think I might be able to use a normal-reach brake caliper. Yes, I got lucky because the bridge across the seat stays was close enough to mount an off-the-shelf brake.

The fork is an extra road fork I had which had a 1 1/8" steerer because my 700c CX forks have 1" steerers and I would need to buy a headset reducer OR use a fork I already had ...

If you're frame uses disc brakes, you can just have the wheel(s) laced to appropriate hubs.

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. I had to slightly enlarge the back side of the fender mounting hole to accept a recessed brake bolt.

On my MTB frame, I reckon I have clearance for at least a 700x38 tire in the rear.

The particular road fork can only handle a 700x25; but, I could readily change to a fork with more clearance if that were an objective.

6. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I have used 650c race wheels in a light MTB frame (Upland). No probs with the V-brakes once adjusted to the narrow rim. Front wheel goes straight in, the back wheel prefers a 135mm hub but will close up ok for a 130mm.

One way of making a MTB into a fast training bike is just use the new Conti Ultra Gator Skin Slicks in 26x28mm. :)

7. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

A 26" MTB rim is 559 millimeters. A 700C road bike rim is 622 millimeters. So the rim will be an inch and a quarter closer to the fender mounts. The rear spacing will also be 5 MM narrower on the road wheel.

Why not just get road tires for your MTB wheels?

8. Ricitius

Ricitius New Member

I've been looking at the Ultra Gator tires. Need to find them in town somewhere.

9. gclark8

gclark8 New Member