Road wheels on trekking bike?

spuik said:
Can I put road wheels on a trekking bike? This is the bike: http://www.nummenpyora.fi/fi/compon..._image/product/Tunturi_T310_497ca55a76d16.jpg

Can I use for example these wheels Shimano R500 Clincher Wheels | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com ? The rider only weighs 130 pounds and sometimes has maybe 15-20 pounds of carriage. Maybe with some cyclo-cross tires?
I'm going to guess that your bike has 135mm rear spacing ...

The Road wheel has 130mm rear spacing ...

You can theoretically change the spacing on a Shimano rear hub by swapping axles with an axle from a Shimano MTB rear hub ... add a 4mm-or-5mm of spacer on the non-driveside & redish the wheel OR two 2mm spacers (one on each side).

BTW. It's cheaper to buy a new Shimano rear ACERA hub than to buy the axle + spacer, separately -- £10-to-£15, depending on where you buy it.

Where could I buy a trekking wheel online then? I can't make it to any bike shops because of awkward schedules. Most online stores just have road and MTB categories, and MTB wheels are either 26" or 29" so no go.

I think I will use an MTB axle on the road wheel then. By 'redish' do you mean getting the correct lateral position for the axle? Any tips on how to get it right?

spuik said:
Where could I buy a trekking wheel online then? I can't make it to any bike shops because of awkward schedules. Most online stores just have road and MTB categories, and MTB wheels are either 26" or 29" so no go.
A 29er rear wheel is a 700c rim laced onto a 135mm rear hub ... but, they are apparently often 19mm (bead-to-bead), or wider ... and, usually laced on disc hubs.

WHY did you need/want a different set of wheels?

--​

Why don't you just cannibalize a SHIMANO ACERA rear hub for the axle & spacer(s) and modify the Shimano R500 rear wheel?

This is easier to do than I can describe ...

You'll just need some cone wrenches (sorry, I don't recall the size without looking ... a 15mm and something else) + the axle + the spacer(s) ... plus, some time. I use WHITE LITHIUM grease that is available at automotive supply stores and automotive departments in many general purpose stores.

Ideally, you would put the 4mm spacer on the non-driveside & redish the rear rim on a 130mm rear wheel, but it shouldn't be that hard to get-or-make some 2mm spacers/washers. Heck, take an old chainring OR almost anything else, drill holes in it which are large enough to sleeve onto the axle, and then file out "donuts" which you could stack as needed.

alfeng said:
This is easier to do than I can describe ...

You'll just need some cone wrenches (sorry, I don't recall the size without looking ... a 15mm and something else) + the axle + the spacer(s) ... plus, some time. I use WHITE LITHIUM grease that is available at automotive supply stores and automotive departments in many general purpose stores.

Ideally, you would put the 4mm spacer on the non-driveside & redish the rear rim on a 130mm rear wheel, but it shouldn't be that hard to get-or-make some 2mm spacers/washers. Heck, take an old chainring OR almost anything else, drill holes in it which are large enough to sleeve onto the axle, and then file out "donuts" which you could stack as needed.
Yeah I think I have a spare hub I can use. Thanks for help!

spuik said:
I think I will use an MTB axle on the road wheel then. By 'redish' do you mean getting the correct lateral position for the axle? Any tips on how to get it right?
Yes, the dishing refers to the lateral position of the rim relative to the axle's ends ...

Let me know if you decide to dish the wheel ...

Basically, you'll need a spoke wrench (probably the GREEN handled Park Tool spoke wrench, or equivalent) + a little knowledge + a little patience.