Road wheelset for under 300

Alefknight

Sep 25, 2016
I'm looking for some aluminum clincher wheelsets for under 300 supposedly around 250. I was looking at this one
http://m.ebay.com/itm/281331016132
It's used and looks pretty nice but I searched up online and couldn't find this particular wheel. Most of the fulcrum racing 7's are around 150 and they don't look like this one. Is this a rip off or should I get it? (Btw I'm tempted by it's looks)

Thanks everyone

You explained it yourself. New wheels of the identical model are as little as $130. Are used tires worth the difference? No warranty? No history of the maybe 300 pound dude that rode them 'easily'? No idea if they are as good as the newest, lighter versions?

Buy the new versions. Buy Vueltas. Buy Mavic Aksiums. Buy Shimano RS whatevers. Buy...

There's a metric **** ton of really decent 'cheap' wheels out there. Someone will say something good about them and the next guy might badmouth them. Read the online reviews and go from there. They're really helpful as the data set is larger than just me or a couple other guys on a BBS giving you our limited experience with wheel 'X'. You'll do better than trying to negotiate an eBay return if something goes South and you'll have a new pair of wheels / tires for the same money or less...and a place to return them to if need be.

Now, if you really want my 2 cents worth...I'm a light weight dude with minimal Wattage that still manages to abuse my wheels. I train hard and race harder. For cheap, I like the $200 Aksiums. Note that one other guy on this board (at least one other) has had a negative experience with Aksiums. He's heavier and more powerful than me. There you have it.

Reactions: Runner13.1
You explained it yourself. New wheels of the identical model are as little as $130. Are used tires worth the difference? No warranty? No history of the maybe 300 pound dude that rode them 'easily'? No idea if they are as good as the newest, lighter versions?

Buy the new versions. Buy Vueltas. Buy Mavic Aksiums. Buy Shimano RS whatevers. Buy...

There's a metric **** ton of really decent 'cheap' wheels out there. Someone will say something good about them and the next guy might badmouth them. Read the online reviews and go from there. They're really helpful as the data set is larger than just me or a couple other guys on a BBS giving you our limited experience with wheel 'X'. You'll do better than trying to negotiate an eBay return if something goes South and you'll have a new pair of wheels / tires for the same money or less...and a place to return them to if need be.

Now, if you really want my 2 cents worth...I'm a light weight dude with minimal Wattage that still manages to abuse my wheels. I train hard and race harder. For cheap, I like the $200 Aksiums. Note that one other guy on this board (at least one other) has had a negative experience with Aksiums. He's heavier and more powerful than me. There you have it.
Thanks man really appreciate the inight on that. I was about to get them, i'll go do some research. Cheers

Thanks man really appreciate the inight on that. I was about to get them, i'll go do some research. Cheers

Listen to campybob, never buy used wheels when you have no clue about their history. Here is a link to find your wheelshttp://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_204727_-1_204649_204649 Nashbar as 21 percent off of already marked down wheel sets today. no time like the present.

They have fulcrum 5's for under for 236 including tax and 7's for 173.

Mhm I've taken all of your opinions into account and I'm down to two choices, I didn't really like the mavic Aksiums but I checked out the comsic elites and fulcrum racing 5s
http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10052_10053_575015_-1_catNav.
Around 220$ plus tax and shipping
And the comics for 240
http://m.ebay.com/itm/262624676380
Tell me what you guys think.
Thanks

Your eBay prospect....."All packages are sent from HONMG KONG", can't even spell Hong Kong right. NOOOO way, those are fake wheels, you ever heard the phrase "you get what you pay for". Don't give in to saving a few bucks, your health is much more important than that. You don't want to risk your life going downhill at 30-40 miles an hour and having a set of fake Chinese wheels breaking on you and causing you to face serious injury or worse. I haven't read the review on Fulcrum, but that is a reputable company. Nashbar also has an any time return and I can vouch for their good customer services. I will say no more, get the fulcrums.