"Road"

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Psycholist, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Forgive me if this may already have been discussed.

    I just came across a copy of what I presume is a new
    publication ... called simply "Road." It calls itself "The
    Journal of Road Cycling and Culture." Hmmm. It's quite slick
    looking, but seriously lacking in content IMHO.

    There's an inteview with a rider named Daniel Ramsey who is
    an American that raced for several years on some Italian
    squads. He said that 70% of the riders in Italy dope -- even
    in the amateur ranks. He said the pressure for results is so
    intense it drives them to it. He said they even juice up for
    training rides.

    Sheesh ... If this is true, I sure was being naive. I guess
    I'll start eyeing guys with suspicion who are riding too
    well at the club centuries.

    Bob C.

    Tags:

  2. psycholist wrote:
    > Sheesh ... If this is true, I sure was being naive. I
    > guess I'll start eyeing guys with suspicion who are riding
    > too well at the club centuries.

    I've been suspecting this for a long time. Anybody that
    beats me to the roadsigns on our clubrides I report directly
    to the UCI. I've won every single race since I started that.

    --
    Perre

  3. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    psycholist <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I just came across a copy of what I presume is a new
    > publication ... called simply "Road." It calls itself "The
    > Journal of Road Cycling and Culture." Hmmm. It's quite
    > slick looking, but seriously lacking in content IMHO.

    Well, it DID say "Culture" didn't it?

    > There's an inteview with a rider named Daniel Ramsey who
    > is an American that raced for several years on some
    > Italian squads. He said that 70% of the riders in Italy
    > dope -- even in the amateur ranks. He said the pressure
    > for results is so intense it drives them to it. He said
    > they even juice up for training rides.

    The reason you would juice for a training ride is to
    increase your training volume. And once you had crossed that
    ethical bridge it would not be a big deal to take something
    to help you recover. The idea is to extend the point at
    which you would be in danger of overtraining.

    I believe cyclingnews had something last summer about a drug
    raid at a fred ride in Italy. That's a different animal.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  4. psycholist wrote:

    > Sheesh ... If this is true, I sure was being naive. I
    > guess I'll start eyeing guys with suspicion who are riding
    > too well at the club centuries.

    Maybe not juiced FOR the training ride, but a testosterone-
    based regime can do wonders for your recovery AFTER a 6-hour
    session, allegedly.

  5. He said that 70% of the
    > > riders in Italy dope -- even in the amateur ranks. >
    > I believe cyclingnews had something last summer about a
    > drug raid at a
    fred
    > ride in Italy. That's a different animal.

    Italy? Fred rides in Arizona are full of people that are
    doping. You think cheaters are only professional riders.
    Freds are learning to cheat too. I saw a couple of
    professional riders going up a fairly long 8% incline
    full tilt, with a Fred locked on their wheel like a
    hellfire missile. Freds like to shock people too.