"Road"

Psycholist

Guest
Forgive me if this may already have been discussed.

I just came across a copy of what I presume is a new
publication ... called simply "Road." It calls itself "The
Journal of Road Cycling and Culture." Hmmm. It's quite slick
looking, but seriously lacking in content IMHO.

There's an inteview with a rider named Daniel Ramsey who is
an American that raced for several years on some Italian
squads. He said that 70% of the riders in Italy dope -- even
in the amateur ranks. He said the pressure for results is so
intense it drives them to it. He said they even juice up for
training rides.

Sheesh ... If this is true, I sure was being naive. I guess
I'll start eyeing guys with suspicion who are riding too
well at the club centuries.

Bob C.

psycholist wrote:
> Sheesh ... If this is true, I sure was being naive. I
> guess I'll start eyeing guys with suspicion who are riding
> too well at the club centuries.

I've been suspecting this for a long time. Anybody that
beats me to the roadsigns on our clubrides I report directly
to the UCI. I've won every single race since I started that.

--
Perre

psycholist <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just came across a copy of what I presume is a new
> publication ... called simply "Road." It calls itself "The
> Journal of Road Cycling and Culture." Hmmm. It's quite
> slick looking, but seriously lacking in content IMHO.

Well, it DID say "Culture" didn't it?

> There's an inteview with a rider named Daniel Ramsey who
> is an American that raced for several years on some
> Italian squads. He said that 70% of the riders in Italy
> dope -- even in the amateur ranks. He said the pressure
> for results is so intense it drives them to it. He said
> they even juice up for training rides.

The reason you would juice for a training ride is to
increase your training volume. And once you had crossed that
ethical bridge it would not be a big deal to take something
to help you recover. The idea is to extend the point at
which you would be in danger of overtraining.

I believe cyclingnews had something last summer about a drug
raid at a fred ride in Italy. That's a different animal.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

psycholist wrote:

> Sheesh ... If this is true, I sure was being naive. I
> guess I'll start eyeing guys with suspicion who are riding
> too well at the club centuries.

Maybe not juiced FOR the training ride, but a testosterone-
based regime can do wonders for your recovery AFTER a 6-hour
session, allegedly.

He said that 70% of the
> > riders in Italy dope -- even in the amateur ranks. >
> I believe cyclingnews had something last summer about a
> drug raid at a
fred
> ride in Italy. That's a different animal.

Italy? Fred rides in Arizona are full of people that are
doping. You think cheaters are only professional riders.
Freds are learning to cheat too. I saw a couple of
professional riders going up a fairly long 8% incline
full tilt, with a Fred locked on their wheel like a
hellfire missile. Freds like to shock people too.