Roadie getting a mountain bike.

ChristoffH

Aug 26, 2005
Although I'm away for school right now and don't have my road bike up here or anywhere to keep/ride a mountain bike ( Well, keep it ) I want to bring my road bike up here and might if I can find room. I've been doing spinning classes at least 3 times a week if not more. Been cycling for about 5 months now. Not to toot my own horn but I am pretty fast now on my bike now, anyways..

When I get home ( December ) I plan to get myself a mountain bike to mix up with my road biking. I know the basics of the basics about mountain biking and have never really done real mountain biking and need to know everything. I have a camel pack my sister left and my mountain biking shoes that I use on my road bike. So I know there is a hardtail ( cross county? ) downhill, and full suspension? I'm still not exactly sure what I need. I know the more suspension/travel the harder it will be to get up hills? If anyone lives in my area ( Orange County )you could probably help me out better. The trails I plan on hitting are nothing too intense and seem to have a variety of ups and downs? I haven't ridden them yet. My LBS carries Trek and Specialized. I am kind of partial towards Trek since that's what my bike is but from what I've gathered Specialized makes the best MB's. I don't plan on downhill only and want to do everything else. Let me know everything I need to know.

Also I believe the 2006 models should be out or out soon? At any rate, my budget is somewhere around $1,000 and up maybe for the bike. What does a typical mountain biker wear anyways? I know they aren't cruising around in flashy roadie clothes. Mountain bike shorts, gloves, long sleeve shirt? Let me know. What do I need and what is nice to have? I also have a pump, tire levers, patches, will get tubes... I will probably use my helmet ( It has a snap on visor
tongue.gif
) Thanks again.