Roadie has lighting questions, mount to FSA K-wing??

kuss

Sep 17, 2004
Try searching a cycling forum for "light"... you might as well hit home.

I have 2 questions. #1, I am going to start riding earlier (before dawn) since work and family demand all my sunlit hours. My normal route is 2-3 hours consisting of mostly streetlamp-lit surface streets through the South Bay area of Los Angeles down to Palos Verdes where the streets are hilly, curvy, and notoriously not lit at all. I am looking for the lightest (weight-wise) set up I can find that will still get me noticed by cars. I am just trying to take advantage of this forum and shorten my own trial-and-error period.

#2, does anybody have experience mounting a light to a FSA K-wing bar???

kuss said:

Some lights, like CatEye have flexible bands that comform to odd sized bars. The other option is always one of my two fave remedies 1) zip ties or 2) duct tape. (I'd try the zip ties first, mate!)

kuss said:
Try searching a cycling forum for "light"... you might as well hit home.

I have 2 questions. #1, I am going to start riding earlier (before dawn) since work and family demand all my sunlit hours. My normal route is 2-3 hours consisting of mostly streetlamp-lit surface streets through the South Bay area of Los Angeles down to Palos Verdes where the streets are hilly, curvy, and notoriously not lit at all. I am looking for the lightest (weight-wise) set up I can find that will still get me noticed by cars. I am just trying to take advantage of this forum and shorten my own trial-and-error period.

FSA makes a device that can be used to provide a round mounting surface for that attaches close to the stem. I would think that it should support a light if it is not too heavy. Kind of pricey but probably looks nicer than a kludge.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...31.8+Handlebar&vendorCode=FSA&major=3&minor=2

would you consider a helmet mount light?

if you do, it's very, very easy to get people's attention - just look at them and a bright light will be shining at them. gives pause to even the most hurried driver looking to turn across your intended path. you just have to be careful if you're talking to a riding friend.

in addition, you can light up the road "around the corner".

if you wear the battery, the feel of the bike remains the same. a light on your bars (and possible battery pack elsewhere) will make your bike feel less responsive. The feeling of the two pounds or so on yourself disappears pretty quickly.

only disadvantage is that holes/dips in the road are not "shadowed" correctly - they seem flat or invisible since the light source is along the same line as your line of sight.

a compromise would be mounting an LED type light on your bars ($20 or so) to highlight road hazards and use a NiteRider type helmet mount for serious lighting.

I've ridden at night on and off for many years and found if using one light a helmet light is best, adding an auxillary handlebar light is nice if you can do it.

for what it's worth, I've tried virtually every light out there. I would recommend Nite Rider for a serious light (i.e. you need a light to see what you're riding towards). an LED type headlight is perfect for getting noticed by cars, people, etc.

hope this helps
cdr

Well, if cost is no problem, Lupine lights are the best out there. And the most expensive (prepare to spend a LOT of money). But just check out their web site and the light tests, that is enough to be impressed.

I have been reading a bit about lights and in terms of a small powerful light Dinotte seems to be highly recommended.

Google 'em. ;)

Tell us what you decide and how it works out.

To be seen, small helmet flashers are great, worth every gram.

To see, on the road upto 3 watts is fine especially if you already know the way.
AA battery powered lights usually end up lighter than lights with seperate battery packs.
How long will you need light for, an hour or all three?

skootaroo said:
To be seen, small helmet flashers are great, worth every gram.

To see, on the road upto 3 watts is fine especially if you already know the way.
AA battery powered lights usually end up lighter than lights with seperate battery packs.
How long will you need light for, an hour or all three?
Depends on time of year!! With Daylights Savings, sometimes it's 2 hrs of darkness, sometimes just one... So no huge battery requirements...

Powerful Pete said:
Well, if cost is no problem, Lupine lights are the best out there. And the most expensive (prepare to spend a LOT of money). But just check out their web site and the light tests, that is enough to be impressed.

I have been reading a bit about lights and in terms of a small powerful light Dinotte seems to be highly recommended.

Google 'em. ;)

Tell us what you decide and how it works out.
+1 on the Dinotte, I am in a similar situation and the Dinotte is perfect in these conditions and it also solves the mounting problem. They also have great customer service.
To be honest I really wanted the Lupine Edison 5 but couldnt justify the cost ;)

http://www.dinottelighting.com/

http://gretnabikes.com/lupine_lighting_systems_lightsets.asp

rbtmcardle said:
+1 on the Dinotte, I am in a similar situation and the Dinotte is perfect in these conditions and it also solves the mounting problem. They also have great customer service.
To be honest I really wanted the Lupine Edison 5 but couldnt justify the cost ;)

http://www.dinottelighting.com/

http://gretnabikes.com/lupine_lighting_systems_lightsets.asp
Do you ride with a dinotte? Please review it for us!

And I agree, unless I decide I will only train at night I will also find it difficult to justify a Lupine. Works out cheaper to higher a cab to ride behind him with their brights on for the better part of a year. :rolleyes: