Roadie looking for a velo track singlespeed bike

firegooroo

Dec 22, 2003
Hey guys, I'm a roadie that is looking to do some cross training on a velo track. I was hoping that anyone might know what I should be looking for in a singlespeed or fixed gear (I think they mean the same thing) bike and component wise.

Just to let you know I started by looking at the Fuji Track Pro, but I'm not familiar with the components that it lists (crankset SUGINO 75 TRACK, 144 BOLT PATTERN 49T).

Maybe someone can tell me of some good bikes and the web sites for track bikes and any other info I might need to know to be better informed.

Just so you guys know what I'm about, I'm a crit racer in the Miami area looking for some variety in my training. What I hope to gain with the track bike is specific acceleration training and strength training and maybe if I get good at it try racing track bikes also (BIG MAYBE). Any ways I hope to hear from everyone soon.

Originally posted by firegooroo
Hey guys, I'm a roadie that is looking to do some cross training on a velo track. I was hoping that anyone might know what I should be looking for in a singlespeed or fixed gear (I think they mean the same thing) bike and component wise.

Just to let you know I started by looking at the Fuji Track Pro, but I'm not familiar with the components that it lists (crankset SUGINO 75 TRACK, 144 BOLT PATTERN 49T).

Maybe someone can tell me of some good bikes and the web sites for track bikes and any other info I might need to know to be better informed.

Just so you guys know what I'm about, I'm a crit racer in the Miami area looking for some variety in my training. What I hope to gain with the track bike is specific acceleration training and strength training and maybe if I get good at it try racing track bikes also (BIG MAYBE). Any ways I hope to hear from everyone soon.

Try your local club looking for second hand stuff, the Fuji track bikes ive seen are pretty basic. good for Kids or total noobs but if you have done abit of racing you might want something abit smoother, try www.avanti.co.nz, there Pista is a good comparison of what to look for in a entry lvl track bike. In NZ though so not much good to you.... but worth a look, sells for $800NZ (about $550 US)

Good luck getting into singlespeed or fixed gear. there is a difference. as Henri Desgrange (Tour de France founder) reportedly said in 1902: "I still feel that varable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer?
We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"

With fixed gears you don't coast. You can do excellent track stands, and power slides. Pick a lower gear than you normally ride with and you'll have a spin that will be the envy of anyone. Including the ladies who go to "spin classes".

You might look for a flip-flop hub (this is threaded on both sides, one for the cog and lock ring; the other for a single speed freewheel). i use this set up on my 25 year old (plus) Gitane. However, i haven't used the freewheel yet. You should at least get something that has front brakes. Good luck

Originally posted by firegooroo

The track pro is a higher end track bike, 144 is just the bcd (bolt circle diameter) means it takes big rings up front. That's a neat one, some others around there I think, are the specialized langster pro and felt t1k (I think).

Off the top of my head, some of the less expensive rides that come from names that a roadie is familiar with would be the Fujis, Bianchi Pista, the Specialized Langster (did they ever really make them, or just plan to?) Windsor "The Hour", and Cannondale and Trek as well. If you plan on ever adding a non track hub setup pay attention to the hub width at the dropouts. One nice thing about a track bike is that is is not very expensive to deck on out with top of the line components, because you are not buting brifters and derailers, or even casettes. If you ever wanted a full Dura Ace bike, a track biek so equipped is very cheap compared to a full DA road bike.

Velo Serg said:
Off the top of my head, some of the less expensive rides that come from names that a roadie is familiar with would be the Fujis, Bianchi Pista, the Specialized Langster (did they ever really make them, or just plan to?) Windsor "The Hour", and Cannondale and Trek as well. If you plan on ever adding a non track hub setup pay attention to the hub width at the dropouts. One nice thing about a track bike is that is is not very expensive to deck on out with top of the line components, because you are not buting brifters and derailers, or even casettes. If you ever wanted a full Dura Ace bike, a track biek so equipped is very cheap compared to a full DA road bike.

Just another thought for roadies who want fixed gears. check out you local big city messengers. quite a few ride fixed and I'm sure someone could have a line on something (used and hopefully not abused). BTW, I haven't heard anyone mention Windsor Bikes in a long long long time.