Roadie Rims for Commuting

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Watimena, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    I am moving from Canberra to Adelaide soon.

    That means rather than ride about half of the 10-12 Ks to work on Singletrack, I will now be riding
    about 19 ks to work on flat bitumen....

    I have seen a mob in Australia that sells a wheel set with MTB hubs and 700c road rims. I am
    interested in setting this up on my hardtail, to convert it to a commuter, to shave some time off my
    trip in to work.

    Now the wheel set they sell here is set up on a disc hub, I am presuming it would be easier to swap
    different diameter rims on bikes with disc brakes.

    Has anyone tried this set up just with a set of V brakes? I realise you would have to reposition the
    brake pads at least, if not my roadie pads to run.

    Grateful for some words of wisdom from anyone who has tried this set up.

    Jeremy

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am moving from Canberra to Adelaide soon.
    >
    > That means rather than ride about half of the 10-12 Ks to work on Singletrack, I will now be
    > riding about 19 ks to work on flat bitumen....
    >
    > I have seen a mob in Australia that sells a wheel set with MTB hubs and
    700c
    > road rims. I am interested in setting this up on my hardtail, to convert
    it
    > to a commuter, to shave some time off my trip in to work.
    >
    > Now the wheel set they sell here is set up on a disc hub, I am presuming
    it
    > would be easier to swap different diameter rims on bikes with disc brakes.
    >
    > Has anyone tried this set up just with a set of V brakes? I realise you would have to reposition
    > the brake pads at least, if not my roadie pads to run. Grateful for some words of wisdom from
    > anyone who has tried this set up.
    >
    > Jeremy

    Just out of curiousity, do you specifically not want 26" road slicks? Would be a lot cheaper and
    simpler, albeit not as highly geared. IIRC I did try using cantis on an MTB with 700c years ago and
    there wasn't enough adjustment by miles.

    Andy Chequer

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am moving from Canberra to Adelaide soon.
    >
    >That means rather than ride about half of the 10-12 Ks to work on Singletrack, I will now be riding
    >about 19 ks to work on flat bitumen....
    >
    >I have seen a mob in Australia that sells a wheel set with MTB hubs and 700c road rims. I am
    >interested in setting this up on my hardtail, to convert it to a commuter, to shave some time off
    >my trip in to work.
    >
    >Now the wheel set they sell here is set up on a disc hub, I am presuming it would be easier to swap
    >different diameter rims on bikes with disc brakes.
    >
    >Has anyone tried this set up just with a set of V brakes? I realise you would have to reposition
    >the brake pads at least, if not my roadie pads to run.
    >
    >Grateful for some words of wisdom from anyone who has tried this set up.

    Can't be done, mate... the difference in rim diameter is 63mm, so the height of the brake bosses is
    going to be off by half that (WAY too far to hope to be able to adjust the brakes).

    And even if you have disc brakes, make sure your fork will clear the taller wheel/tire at full
    compression - you don't want to find out it won't when dropping off a curb into traffic...

  4. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    Thanks for your advice Andy and Mark......

    I just got some narrow (1.25') high pressure slicks yesterday. Seems to speed everything up lot.
    I'll play with these for a while and see how they go.

    If these don't work out I might just have to bite the bullet and get a second hand road bike. The
    commute in Adelaide is dead flat anyway....

    Jeremy