Roadies and CamelBaks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by VeloSpeed, Mar 13, 2006.

1. VeloSpeed

VeloSpeed New Member

Hi all,

When I'm out on my MTB I'm a huge fan of my ancient CamelBak. I rarely leave home without it even on short local rides. Often this is because I'm working on curing a mild hangover but also because its the best way to carry my minipump! If I ever hand frame mounts for it they're long lost!

Anyway, I've noticed that they don't seem to be as popular with road riders around these parts. I was wondering how many of the roadies on the forums use a camelbak? And if they aren't popular, why not?

And to follow up, those roadies who don't use them how do you carry your pump, tools, phones (and in some cases guns!!) round with you on longer rides. I'm not sure I want to clutter my nice new bike with frame mounted pumps!

Cheers

David

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Camelbaks are great if you don't want to take your hands off of the bars to get to a water bottle. You'll sometimes see people wearing them under their jerseys during time trials, but on a regular road ride this isn't an issue. There are also a lot of roadies that subscribe to the "If mountain bikers do it, it can't be cool." philosophy. The need to carry large amounts of water is also typically less for road riding because unlike a long remote mountain biking trail, there are usually a lot of places to get water.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I don't see too many roadies using them. I use my camelbak if I'm going on a long ride and it's really hot. But unless that's the case, my two water bottles do the trick.

4. VeloSpeed

VeloSpeed New Member

Cheers. I think its the extra cargo capacity of the camelbak that I'd miss.

Maybe I need to buy a smaller pump and a bigger saddle bag!:) The nice little bag I bought with the the bike looks nice and slick but its almost completely full with just a spare tube!

David

5. cmacblue42

cmacblue42 New Member

i used one when i rode my bike to a race and needed a way to carry free stuff home. otherwise, most people use their jersey pockets or a larger seat bag.

6. gregkeller

gregkeller New Member

I use one in the winter time so i don't have to deal with frozen waterbottles. During regular weather bottles are easier for me and my back doesn't get as sweaty.

7. audio_terrorist

audio_terrorist New Member

i tried using the camelbaks before and mine always leaked.theres nothing better then riding in a pace line and having that hose just throw water all over the place.

you can fit tons of stuff in your back jersey pockets.

for longer rides i just tie on my little bag to the seatpost. to keep tubes,tools or co2

8. VeloSpeed

VeloSpeed New Member

Sounds like what I need is a proper jersey then!! The only cycling specific top I have at the moment is an old baggy fleecey mountain bike top. Fantastic top but stuff just drops out the pockets :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies folks

David

9. capwater

capwater New Member

Long, unsupported rides in the heat of the summer, yup I'll go with a camelback. Cargo area is nice, but everything can be carried in jersey pockets including mini pump (crank Brothers has a nice 6 inch one).

10. AussieRob

AussieRob New Member

I think you will find that CamelBaks are not legal under UCI rules for mass start road races. I thought they were banned in the TT as well, although I can remember pro's riding with them in a few races.

I'll check the rule book and get back to you guys.

11. achtervolger

achtervolger New Member

12. JohnO

JohnO New Member

When I started back into road riding after mtb'ing for a few years, I used my camelbak. On a hot day, you could chuck some ice cubes into it, and it would stay cool for a long time.

But... I just got to like the feeling of riding around without something hanging on my back. No sweat buildup.

13. allenpg

allenpg New Member

I've used Camelbaks on my MTB for years, but have started doing the water bottle thing more on short rides on my road bike. I'm still a true believer in the Camelbak for extra water and the extra gear storage, especially when the weather might change. I don't understand why some roadies despise them. I guess they just don't look cool. As we used to say in college, you either run good or look good. I guess the same could be said for biking...:)

14. jarrah

jarrah New Member

No camelbak for me... I hate backsweat and I have to put up with it enough on commute rides. If I'm out on the weekend I want to *enjoy* myself.

Two 750ml water bottles are adequate for hydration. The pockets in my jerseys and a tri bento-box give me adequate storage for small items. My saddlebag will happily hold two spare tubes and some pre-glued patches (or one commute days / race days, one spare tube, patches and a co2 inflator).
    I mount my emergency pump next to my biddon.

15. HT606

HT606 New Member

Very valid point regarding the route taken by a roadie. Depending in where I ride, I find myself never too far from a store (within 5kms). I own a camelback but find that in hot weather, the water doesnt stay cold for long enough. I tried the ice cubes but I think my back helped it melt.

I give myself an incentive to buy an ice cold gatorade 5 kms down the road in the next convenience store. Just keep some spare change. Its lighter than two 750ml water bottles.

16. VeloSpeed

VeloSpeed New Member

Works ok if you're riding with a group but round these parts a nice bike left outside a shop unattended would be gone in a lot less than 60 seconds!! :rolleyes:

All good points though, thanks folks. Guess I will just start road riding with the kit I have - camelbak included and just let it evolve. Think a slightly smaller pump would be a good way forward.

Never heard the word biddon before! Had to look it up!

cheers

David

17. hdavidt

hdavidt New Member

Where did you look it up? I couldn't find it in Merriam-Webster Online.

18. VeloSpeed

VeloSpeed New Member

Ah, I was a bit more random that that. I just stuck it into Yahoo along with 'bike' and found a site selling 'biddon cages' that looked a lot like bottle cages :D No idea what the origin of the word is.

david

19. needhelp

needhelp New Member

I vagley remenber reading somewhere that at the world champs Michael Rogers was not allowed to ride the TT with a camelbak under his jersey, not sure where I saw it though, sorry.

20. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

I know that Bobby Julich has been using one for some races. Not having to get off of the aero bars every time you need a drink can add up to quite a time savings on a long TT. It also makes more sense than bolting a water bottle to a bike that you spent tens of thousands of dollars optimizing in a wind tunnel.