Roadies and CamelBaks

When on my mountain bike I ride with my Lobo camelback. When on my road bike I carry one spare tube, repair kit, 2 co2 cartridges in a wedge case under the back of my seat. If I want to carry a pump also, my crankbrothers pump is only 6" and fits in my back pockets along with my cell, gel packs, cliff bar. I can carry alot more in my pockets for longer rides or cold rides if I need to. I can still fit a jacket, leg warmers etc. I like to ride fast so aerodynamics is important. I also don't need to carry more than 2 water bottles worth since on the road, water is availiable most anywhere. For mountain trails, there may not be any water availiable. One last factor, and you may have noticed this, Camelbacks rub and wear into the cycling jerseys and wreck them so I would never use it with my nice jerseys. I have a non-fancy jersey with pockets that I use for my mountian bike and camel back.

I agree with clutter on the nice bike. So all I have is my wedge, two carbon cages and bottles, Polar computer, speed sensor and cadence sensor.

VeloSpeed said:
Hi all,

When I'm out on my MTB I'm a huge fan of my ancient CamelBak. I rarely leave home without it even on short local rides. Often this is because I'm working on curing a mild hangover but also because its the best way to carry my minipump! If I ever hand frame mounts for it they're long lost!

Anyway, I've noticed that they don't seem to be as popular with road riders around these parts. I was wondering how many of the roadies on the forums use a camelbak? And if they aren't popular, why not?

And to follow up, those roadies who don't use them how do you carry your pump, tools, phones (and in some cases guns!!) round with you on longer rides. I'm not sure I want to clutter my nice new bike with frame mounted pumps!

Cheers

David

Yes. Due to the effects of "SBS", I think a camelbak is only worth the while if you need to carry lots. Drinking wise, 2 x 750ml bottles (one frozen on a hot day), seem to be the go. Unless of course you have a 4 litre camel back :rolleyes: ...
Now if drinking was not the reason, why not just a normal backpack? Other options include 1.5ltre camelbaks "bum bag" Style to get rid of SDS".

Lets face it. If you had a choice, who wants something hanging off your back?

Oh... I gotta go... gotta work on my legs...:p :p :p

I use a CamelBak, but have found that whole "people pointing and laughing" thing to be sort of a downside. Mind you, these are the same people I see dying in the ditch on the way back, but even so, is the ridicule really worth it? I have the little 1.5 liter guy, so it's about perfect. Mind you, I used to carry two 1.5 liter Poland Spring bottles. Now THAT was some weight!

Of course, I ride a mountain bike right now, so until I get a road bike, I won't be able to speak much towards it.

Lance's last super TT bike had a water bottle built inside the frame. Not too practical for most of us, though... hard to keep it clean.

artmichalek said:
I know that Bobby Julich has been using one for some races. Not having to get off of the aero bars every time you need a drink can add up to quite a time savings on a long TT. It also makes more sense than bolting a water bottle to a bike that you spent tens of thousands of dollars optimizing in a wind tunnel.