Roadies, do you use rear-view mirrors

Scott Schelle

Guest
I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
what's pulling up behind me.

Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

Thanks in advance.

"Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
| what's pulling up behind me.

I highly suggest that you get a helmet-mounted mirror. That is a long distance to be riding a week
w/o seeing what's going on. Last thing you want to do is turn your heard to get a peripheral image
of something and run into a stopped car (or similar accident).

I use the kind that clips to my glasses. Kinda Fred-like, but I got in the habit of using it when I
lived in northern NJ and continue now that I live in a quiet part of upstate NY, and I feel naked
without it.

It quite possibly saved my life yesterday when I saw two cars riding abreast (future Presidents on
their way home from high school) on a two-lane county road, roughly a quarter-mile behind me. The
outside car was straddling the yellow line, and a third car was coming in the opposite direction --
scared the living **** out of me. I got off into the weeds in the nick of time. BTW, driver of the
third (oncoming) car was yapping on her cell phone.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

I use a helmet mount. I've tried bar end and had too much vibration to get a clear picture. I've
used the glasses mount but occasionally had trouble getting them to fit on a different glasses. The
helmet mount avoids both problems for me and I never forget it. Whatever type you decide on, I
wouldn't be without a mirror. I feel much safer knowing what is behind me. My kids accuse me of
being part of the pocket protector set but it's not because of the mirror. :) Lyle

"Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message > Question: What is the thinking
regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or
> bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, or
is
> it something most serious road riders do?

Quoth Scott Schelle:

> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getti=
ng
> weary of not knowing what's pulling up behind me.
>=20
> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helm=
et or
> bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, o=
r is
> it something most serious road riders do?

I use a 3rd Eye Pro attached to my helmet.

I'd rather be without the helmet than without the mirror.

Helmet/glasses mirrors are best becaue:

=95There's less vibration than from a handlebar mirror.

=95It doesn't need to be convex for an adequate field of view. This mean=
s=20 distances are not distorted, and you don't need to re-focus your eye to=20 use it.

=95By turning your head, you can scan a much larger area behind you. Onc=
e=20 you get used to a helmet/glasses mirror, it works better than the=20 mirrors in a car.

Sheldon "nworB nodlehS" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
| What is good for you is what is good for you. | --Peter Chisholm |
+-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

I know people who ride hundreds of miles a week safely without a mirror. I have major neck troubles
from old sports injuries and it's tough for me to crane my neck to see well behind me. I use a
mirror by Rhode Gear that screws into the end of my drop bars. I get it where it's just right and I
use a little electrical tape to make sure it doesn't shift on me and it's ideal. It gives a very
clear view behind and it's not in the way at all.

I do a little racing and I remove it then ('cuz I have to). But I train with lots of racers. They
give me some garbage about it, but I win lots of training sprints 'cuz I see the attacks coming
from behind.

Bar end mirror vs. helmet mount ... a matter of personal preference. I like the fixed view off the
bar-mounted mirror. The helmet mount drove me crazy!

Bob C.

"Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
> what's pulling up behind me.
>
> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet
or
> bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, or
is
> it something most serious road riders do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:46:08 GMT, "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:

How good a view do you get?

If you're going along upright and then you go into the drops does the angle change?

Is the mirror big enough for a useful view of what's behind you or do you have to move your head
around to get a full view?

Thanks.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:17:12 +0000, Scott Schelle wrote:

> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
> what's pulling up behind me.

So, turn your head and look. Not only do you see what is behind you, but they see you looking. It
helps drivers recognize you as a human, not just "a bike". I have observed that that act tends to
increase the clearance that passing drivers give me.

> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
> this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

About one third of the people I ride with have them. Fewer really use them. Those with helmet or
glasses mounted mirrors seem to actually use them more than those with mirrors on the bars, which
usually seemed to be aimed so that the sun reflects in other riders' faces. They also stick out so
far that they can hook with other riders' bars, as happened to me last week.

I'm not a real fan of mirrors, but I haven't ever used them, so maybe I am not the one to ask. I
also turn my head and look, rather than relying on mirrors, when I am driving.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:19:46 GMT, "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote:
>I highly suggest that you get a helmet-mounted mirror. That is a long distance to be riding a week
>w/o seeing what's going on. Last thing you want to do is turn your heard to get a peripheral image
>of something and run into a stopped car (or similar accident).

I have a helmet-mounted mirror, which, theoretically, seems the right thing. However, I'm unable to
find a place to mount it where it looks comfortable, is out of the way, and most importantly, works.
In fact, I can't seem to identify a spot on the helmet where it will work at all.

Any suggestions? Sooner or later I'll just have to stick it on the helmet already, and live with it;
I'm getting tired of not being able to see behind easily.

--
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:19:46 +0000, Greg P. wrote:

> Last thing you want to do is turn your heard to get a peripheral image of something and run into a
> stopped car (or similar accident).

This is not a valid argument. Whether looking in a mirror, or turning your head, you do not have to
divert your attention long enough to run into a stopped car. I'll admit that when I am in a group I
will not look back as often as when alone, since I don't want to contact someone's wheel, but then
there is both less need and less I could do about it in that circumstance. When I'm at the back of
the group I will look often, and call out the "Car back"'s.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us?
From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places.
Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

On 26 Sep 2003 01:29:50 GMT, [email protected] (MikeYankee) wrote:
>It quite possibly saved my life yesterday when I saw two cars riding abreast

Do you have statistical proof?

Okay, that joke is going to get old any day now.

--
Rick "Tired me, tired joke" Onanian (Hey, there's two tires above this line! Like a bike!)

Originally posted by Scott Schelle
I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
what's pulling up behind me.

Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

Thanks in advance.

Now days I generally use my helmet mounted mirror, but occaisionally use my glasses mount mirror.

The glasses mounted mirror gives a better view because its mounted closer to the eye than the helmet mounted mirror. Its easier to remember the helmet mounted mirrors since its attached.

I am predominately on bike trails so I don't have a lot of cars behind me. If I was on the road a lot, I go with both head and handlebar mirrors. You can turn your head to focus on the immediate concern and use a bike mounted mirror to cover wider angles.

Many years ago when I was on the road all the time I equipped a road bike with two flat surfaced bicycle handle bar mirrors extending up from the handlebars and had two motorcycle wide angle lens extending sideways from the handlebars. It was excellent vision the two flat mirrors were great for ascertaining distance, the wide angle mirrors gave me a very panoramic view out to the sides and the lateral post orientation left me with no blind spots. The motorcycle mirrors were shatterproof so if I fell, so I never had broken glass from the impacted mirrors.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:17:12 -0400, "Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
>what's pulling up behind me.
>
>Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
>this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?
>
>Thanks in advance.

I use an old motorcycle mirror (early 80's Yamaha) on a clamp made from plumbing strap hanger stock.
The optics are great. It gives a clear, wide view. Cheap mirrors distort so much you can't see
anything at a distance. With this you can always see what's coming.

You can pick one up cheap at a garage sale if you're lucky. Check motorcycle junkyards, too.

I never had good luck with a helmet mounted mirror. I move my head around too much.

Jim

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| I have a helmet-mounted mirror, which, theoretically, seems the right thing. However, I'm unable
| to find a place to mount it where it looks comfortable, is out of the way, and most importantly,
| works. In fact, I can't seem to identify a spot on the helmet where it will work at all.

There's a few options for you. Is your helmet expensive and you want to keep it (then ignore
this): buy a new helmet and take the mirror with you to the shop. Otherwise, if you want to get
both things joined, you may need to do some modification of the mirror's arm, such as: going to a
large department store to buy aluminum stems that match your mirrors, "hacking off" the existing
mirrors arm and join the new stem. Is it a problem with lack of finding a foundation/hook inside
your helmet? You may need to go McGuiver style and put on a clamp (thing) that bolts down to one
of your vents.

I have no idea what you should do though, just my suggestions, as I do not know what either your
mirror's arm or helmet look like.

"Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
> what's pulling up behind me.
>
> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
> this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

I know more "serious" riders who do not use mirrors than those who do. But Speaking only for myself,
I tried one of one of these: http://www.cycleaware.com/products/view-point.asp

a few years ago. I 've been using it ever since and wouldn't be caught riding without it. Once
positioned properly it works extremely well. I like the fact that my view to the rear can be
adjusted by head movement and have found this particular item to be much less distracting than I
found in my very brief and unsatisfactory experiments with external glasses-mounted mirrors. It may
not work well with glasses which fit tight to the face or with long hair (over the ears) which may
block the view to the rear. It's unobtrusive and invisible if "geekiness" is a concern. But for the
functional usefulness of a mirror fashion should really not be a factor in the equation.

DR

>I highly suggest that you get a helmet-mounted mirror. That is a long distance to be riding a week
>w/o seeing what's going on. Last thing you want to do is turn your heard to get a peripheral image
>of something and run into a stopped car (or similar accident).

Yep. I am still getting used to my racing bike if I look behind I weave all over
(G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

"Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet
or
> bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, or
is
> it something most serious road riders do?

Looking behind you is why you've got a neck. Use it. Mirrors and associated junk are just going to
give you a false sense of security, thinking you can see behind, where in reality the field of view
you get is piddling.

Regards,

Suzy