Roadies, do you use rear-view mirrors

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:38:57 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>The second is that many motor vehicle operators assume that all bikes move at 10-mph or less, so
>they deliberately cut off cyclists when turning at or crossing intersections

Three words: sharpened brass knuckles.

Jasper

In rec.bicycles.misc Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
:> Speaking of amateur astronomers, I wonder what Jon Isaacs is up to? Maybe he is in one of the
:> dark spots? <http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0208/earthlights02_dmsp_big.jpg>
:
: Maybe he's riding around, instead of talking about riding around? But then, he's in a climate
: where one can do that.

hey, this just came up about a month ago (i cross posted to sci.astro.amateurs from some thread i
can't recall) and i did in fact receive an email from him reassuring me that he was still biking.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Slartibartfast
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I would guess that the "moving bicycle, stopped car" accidents are less likely to be fatal because
> the bike is not moving all that fast (usually), Fatalities would result from a large
> *differential* in speed, which would occur in a typical "from behind" accident.

Although in "head on" accidents the speed differential would be even greater.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:42:26 -0500, "frkrygowHALTSPAM" <"frkrygowHALTSPAM"@cc.ysu.edu> wrote:

>I'm prepared to be impressed by your answer!

The problem is you're just not heavy enough to hit 40mph on that gentle slope near your house - I
recommend a ride to the nearest Krispy Kreme as remedy. :)

--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:38:57 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tim McNamara wrote:
>>
>> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

>> > To clarify: my concern is having enough light to see the road, not burning out the hub from
>> > excessive speed.
>>
>> Well, then, to follow up on my previous post. I have plenty of light descending at 35-40 mph on
>> twisty rural roads with my Schmidt SON and Lumotec Oval headlamp. I've ridden literally dusk to
>> dawn with it on several occasions as well as using it for those rides when daylight just doesn't
>> last long enough to get in a decent ride.
>>
>> At PBP this year, I was amazed at the poor coverage of many battery powered lights, even those
>> with 10-15-30 watts of output. My 3 watts lit the road better than those lights, which tended to
>> have a very bright pool of light right in front of the wheel, so bright that it worsened people's
>> night vision. I had people turn off their lights and follow me at night- partly to conserve
>> batteries but also commenting that they could see better with my system than theirs.
>>
>> A good lighting system is not about turning night to day, as too many people seem not to
>> understand. It's about making the things you need to be able to see clearly visible. If your beam
>> is too intense and lights close objects too brightly, then you'll actually have *more* trouble
>> seeing the road in an effective manner because your eyes do not dark-adapt.
>>
>> The Lumotec Oval and the Bisy lamps for the SON hub provide an effective beam distribution- broad
>> enough to see an entire two lane road from edge to edge, and brighter at the top to make distant
>> objects visible. Most high-power battery systems use a lamp designed for movie and slide
>> projectors, with an even circular field and a rather sharp drop-off outside of the cone of light.
>> Such lamps should be mounted very low- e.g., near the hub- and aimed nearly horizontal to be of
>> best use; unfortunately they are normally mounted on the handlebars.
>
>Well, I got spoiled by driving a car with 4 110-W Hella lamps up front, so I understand the night
>into day concept.
>
>The real reason I want a really bright light has to do with the behavior of motor vehicle
>operators. On issue is that many of them will not dim their high-beams for an oncoming cyclist. A
>quick flash of an 80-W high beam would solve this problem (except for the idiots who never dim
>their lights). The second is that many motor vehicle operators assume that all bikes move at
>10-mph or less, so they deliberately cut off cyclists when turning at or crossing intersections.
>Ir they think it is a motorcycle approaching, they will assume it is moving at a typical motor
>vehicle speed.

Let me tell you, i have never been cut off or anything at night with my 55 watt light. It only lasts
a bit over an hour though.
>Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

THey are illegal here, but believe me, from all the accounts out there of people passing close, ive
considered carrying a bent fork :)

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Rick Onanian wrote:
>
>>... In the flat midwest, I could probably do a century and a half. Here, I've been unable to best
>>68 miles.
>

> I have been able to exceed 40-mph coasting in East Central Illinois. I also did a 40+ mile club
> ride where I only used my middle chainring and 4 rear cogs (48-72 gear inches). It would be a
> great place to ride a fixie.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Several people told about hills they can coast faster than 40 mph. To make it clear: I've got those,
too, and I've ridden hundreds of them. I've hit 54 mph on one hill near here (my fastest speed to
date) and I'd have done better if I had room to pass a car up ahead.

But I don't consider those hills to be "moderate." To me, a moderate hill is one that doesn't
hurt like hell to climb, and doesn't require a granny gear. A hill that allows 40 mph is either
quite steep, to me, or is a bit gentler in grade but long enough that it's a significant piece of
work to climb.

Semantics, I guess.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

In article <[email protected]>, "frkrygow" <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> says...
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
> > Rick Onanian wrote:
> >
> >>... In the flat midwest, I could probably do a century and a half. Here, I've been unable to
> >>best 68 miles.
> >

> > I have been able to exceed 40-mph coasting in East Central Illinois. I also did a 40+ mile club
> > ride where I only used my middle chainring and 4 rear cogs (48-72 gear inches). It would be a
> > great place to ride a fixie.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
>
> Several people told about hills they can coast faster than 40 mph. To make it clear: I've got
> those, too, and I've ridden hundreds of them. I've hit 54 mph on one hill near here (my fastest
> speed to date) and I'd have done better if I had room to pass a car up ahead.
>
> But I don't consider those hills to be "moderate." To me, a moderate hill is one that doesn't hurt
> like hell to climb, and doesn't require a granny gear. A hill that allows 40 mph is either quite
> steep, to me, or is a bit gentler in grade but long enough that it's a significant piece of work
> to climb.

There are hills around my house on which I've hit 40, but they are short so I have to pedal like
crazy to do it before I run out of hill. That's where I've spun out my 52x11 gear.

There are a couple of other hills which on which I could probably hit 40 without pedaling, but one
of them ends at a "T" intersection with nothing but trees on the other side, and the other is a
rather narrow twisty 25mph road with several blind driveways along it, and I'm afraid to let myself
go full speed down it for fear somebody will pull out of one of them in front of me.

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:43:19 -0500, "frkrygow" <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:
>Several people told about hills they can coast faster than 40 mph. To But I don't consider those
>hills to be "moderate." To me, a moderate hill is one that doesn't hurt like hell to climb, and
>doesn't require a granny gear. A hill that allows 40 mph is either quite steep, to me, or is a bit
>gentler in grade but long enough that it's a significant piece of work to climb.
>
>Semantics, I guess.

Okay, that makes sense. The reason that we call that a "moderate" hill is that we need to reserve
the word "extreme" for other hills that we commonly encounter that are much worse.
--
Rick "Hoping Santa brings me a granny gear" Onanian

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:47:49 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>There are hills around my house on which I've hit 40, but they are short so I have to pedal like
>crazy to do it before I run out of hill.

If/when we ride together again, I'll take you to some speed hills.

>That's where I've spun out my 52x11 gear.

We'll get you pedalling 120 rpm in no time. ;)

Didn't you approach 40 on route 1a with me? I hit 40, and you weren't far behind. I think that was
the _only_ time I went faster than you.

I think South Road and Stony Lane both offer 40mph hills for us. The traffic on those roads normally
goes that fast anyway, so residents pulling out of their driveways are [hopefully] careful.
--
Rick Onanian

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:47:49 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
> >There are hills around my house on which I've hit 40, but they are short so I have to pedal like
> >crazy to do it before I run out of hill.
>
> If/when we ride together again, I'll take you to some speed hills.
>
> >That's where I've spun out my 52x11 gear.
>
> We'll get you pedalling 120 rpm in no time. ;)
>
> Didn't you approach 40 on route 1a with me? I hit 40, and you weren't far behind. I think that was
> the _only_ time I went faster than you.

I was at about 38, IIRC. You were going faster than me on the downside of all those rollers on Rt 2
as well, unless I pedaled to keep up.

> I think South Road and Stony Lane both offer 40mph hills for us.

I haven't tried either one of them; I'll have to check out South Road. The Jamestown bridge would be
a good hill as well. The two where I'm afraid to really let them roll are Torrey Road and Gilbert
Stuart Road, but they are great for climbing training.

> The traffic on those roads normally goes that fast anyway, so residents pulling out of their
> driveways are [hopefully] careful.

And they aren't blind driveways either.

On 20 Nov 2003 14:36:05 -0500, Christopher Brian Colohan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Then this teacher was incompetent. You should _always_ check your blind spots when changing lanes,
>whether you are driving a car or riding a bike -- how else can you be sure that there isn't someone
>in the spot you are about to move your vehicle into?
>
>Yes, I _do_ know someone who failed their driving test over this. They neglected to check their
>blind spots before leaving a parking space, and instantly failed.

I know *dozens* of people who failed a driving test for not looking correctly, which includes not
just out the front and in your mirror, but also over your shoulder to the blind spots.

Jasper

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:11:19 +0100, Per Daniel Sørensen <s648@_RM_ii.uib.no> wrote:

>I'm glad they did, not checking the blind spot before changing lanes or pulling out of a parking
>space is a major cause of denting. After driving for a few years many people start to forget things
>like checking the blind spot, and counting three seconds distance to the car in front.

Three seconds? That sounds excessive for motorway traffic, at least. Around here, they urge two
seconds, but if you leave much more than 1.5 or so, there's always some ***** who pulls into the
space you leave, and at 3 seconds they're not even just the pricks any more, it's everyone.

Jasper