Roadies, do you use rear-view mirrors

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet
> or
> > bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, or
> is
> > it something most serious road riders do?
>
> Looking behind you is why you've got a neck. Use it. Mirrors and associated junk are just going to
> give you a false sense of security, thinking you can see behind, where in reality the field of
> view you get is piddling.

I don't necessarily agree with this because there are times when it is not safe or practical
to take one's eyes off the road to look behind them. I believe one should use as many means
as possible, including mirrors and hearing, to check their surroundings for other traffic.

The vision in my left eye is not that great owing to a condition called "lazy eye". Helmet
and bar end mounted mirrors just don't do it for me because they mount on the left side.
Some years ago now I came across a mirror that mounts on the down tube. It measures about
1.5 by 2.75 inches and gives a surprising large field of view. A quick glance down shows me
what is coming. But that is not all I use to check for what's approaching. I use my hearing
to detect the sound of an approaching vehicle and I do look back over my shoulder when the
situation warrants.

I feel like I get a decent view. The view does change with riding position but a little head tilting
can solve that. I do have to move my head around at times to see what I want to see but that isn't a
huge problem. Back when I road with cycling sunglasses with a very small prescription insert with
very limited peripheral vision, it was sometimes a pain. Now that I have wraparound type
prescription sunglasses, it works much better. The funny thing is that I'm so used to this when
riding that if I hear something behind me when I'm walking, I try to look in my non-existent mirror
to see what it is. Lyle

"jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> How good a view do you get?
>
> If you're going along upright and then you go into the drops does the angle change?
>
> Is the mirror big enough for a useful view of what's behind you or do you have to move your head
> around to get a full view?

I use a very tiny (about 1/4 inch dia.) mirror that is glued inside my glasses. It has a swivel
mount and is easy to set up but is not affected by the wind in any way.

Although tiny, by being so close to the eye, it gives just as much of a view as the bigger ones do
when mounted on a helmet.

The name on the package is ' Cycleware ViewPoint '

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

***********************************

"Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
> what's pulling up behind me.
>
> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
> this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Scott, I probably ride the same roads you do. I'm the one using Chuck Harris' handmade mirror which
solves mounting problems by using a spoke (vinyl coated) that gently grabs the edge of the helmet.
Recently I rode with a borrowed lid (no mirror) and remembered how they add to my ride. the mirror
allows me to ride the best part of the road, only moving right to flow traffic. This is so much
easier on tires and wheels as well as the safety stuff.
P.S. Chuck goes by the name "Ultra light cycles" and is from Ohio. Makes a glasses model too. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
410.426.3420 Lewis Campbell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I use a very tiny (about 1/4 inch dia.) mirror that is glued inside my glasses. It has a swivel
> mount and is easy to set up but is not affected by the wind in any way.
>
> Although tiny, by being so close to the eye, it gives just as much of a view as the bigger ones do
> when mounted on a helmet.
>
> The name on the package is ' Cycleware ViewPoint '
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Lewis.
>
> ***********************************
>
> "Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am
getting
> > weary of not knowing what's pulling up behind me.
> >
> > Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either
helmet or
> > bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, or
is
> > it something most serious road riders do?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

I have mounted on the bar of all my bikes an Rear view mirrors for bicycles from Busch & Müller,
model CycleStar. Is very good, small, lightway, convex, no vibrations, no corrosion.

Carlos

Scott Schelle wrote:
> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
> what's pulling up behind me.
>
> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
> this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

"Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
> what's pulling up behind me.
>
> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
> this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

Some people like them, some don't. The good thing is that it only takes a few $$ to find out. I find
them faster than a "head check" to look before I merge, handy in situations where merging is
frequent. I wouldn't use one to try to track all overtaking traffic, though.

"Robert Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote ... <snip>
> crane my neck to see well behind me. I use a mirror by Rhode Gear that screws into the end of
> my drop bars. I get it where it's just right and I use a little electrical tape to make sure
> it doesn't shift on me and it's ideal. It gives a very clear view behind and it's not in the
> way at all.

I started using the Rhode Gear mirror for safety on the bike I ride with my son, and quickly found
that I loved being able to see what's behind me. I've since outfitted the mirror on all my bikes,
and now I can't ride without it.

I use the mount that inserts into the bar end on both my mountain and road bikes; I tried the
velcro-wraps-around-the-bar mount and hated
it. The Rhode Gear mirror can swivel, so on the mtb it's straight but on the road bikes it swivels
out perpendicular to the bar. I swivel it back inside the bar when storing the bike.

I used to find that the loud noises of large vehicles passing me made it seem like they were going
to run me over. Now I can see the distance they're leaving between us with a quick glance and feel
much more secure. I've also found that in an emergency where I need to quickly dart left into the
traffic lane, I can do so without even needing a glance in the mirror (and of course without needing
to turn my head all the way round) since I'm constantly aware of the traffic behind me.

I do find that the mirror shrinks the view, but I can see the first few cars behind me clearly
enough, and I can see whether there are cars in the distance or not. I would prefer a non-convex
(concave?) mirror though.

Like another poster, I also look to the non-existent mirror when I'm walking and hear someone
approaching behind. Mabye I should mount one of those helmet-mounted mirrors directly to my head...

Michael

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> "Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either
helmet
> or
> > bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, or
> is
> > it something most serious road riders do?
>
> Looking behind you is why you've got a neck.

Yeah. God put that neck there so you could look behind you while biking.

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
: Quoth Scott Schelle:

:> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
:> what's pulling up behind me.
:>
:> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
:> this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

: I use a 3rd Eye Pro attached to my helmet.

: I'd rather be without the helmet than without the mirror.

: Helmet/glasses mirrors are best becaue:

: ?There's less vibration than from a handlebar mirror.

: ?It doesn't need to be convex for an adequate field of view. This means distances are not
: distorted, and you don't need to re-focus your eye to use it.

: ?By turning your head, you can scan a much larger area behind you. Once you get used to a
: helmet/glasses mirror, it works better than the mirrors in a car.

The Third Eye Pro is a good mirror. It is big and round and has a longer stem than other mirrors
that mount to the helmet.

I use a visor on my helmet and have the Mirror riveted to it. When I change helmets I can just swap
the visor. (Velcro).

I have used the shorter little Glasses mounted mirrors. They work but you have to turn your head 15
degrees to actually see the traffic behind you.

With the Third hand Pro you do not need to turn your head at all.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

"Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
> this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

Hi, I use a mirror designed to be strapped to the brake hood, but I strap it to the bar. It fits
very well, to the lowest curve of the drop. I ride on the hoods and there it interfered, where I
have it now, no problems. I did try one of those Bell brand mirrors and it was junk. The plastic
lense distorted and lacked reflectivity[?], I had a glass lense cut for it, but then the arm broke.
If you do buy a mirror, of any type, get the best you can afford/find. My mirror has the brand name
Blackburn, but is the same one as is at the link: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=115&-
subcategory=1130&brand=&sku=2783&storetype=&estoreid= If anyone wants to see pics of how I have
this mirror mounted, just send me emai.

Check out this mirror, it would seem that the view they show, would be filled with the "rider".
http://www.deltacycle.com/mirror/mirrorbody1.php

I use the mirror to check before going around parked cars and when on the bike path, to check if
someone coming up behind me. I lost mobility to turn far left, after a car accident, so I find them
helpful. And no I don't completely trust the mirror, I also look and listen. Life is Good! Jeff

"Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "DirtRoadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | I know more "serious" riders who do not use mirrors than those who do. But Speaking only for
> | myself, I tried one of one of these: http://www.cycleaware.com/products/view-point.asp
>
> That looks so small though. Is the reflected image actually bigger due to its proximity to
> your eye?

I tried that same mirror and could not get it to work for me. I suspect it has to do with the fact
that I don't use my eyes equally (my right eye is dominant), and my eyes are 50 years old. I know
other riders who've tried the same mirror...all without success. YMMV

--
~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.shastasoftware.com Developers of CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

In article <4DYcb.592338$uu5.97172@sccrnsc04>, "Shayne Wissler" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
> > "Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either
> helmet
> > or
> > > bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, or
> > is
> > > it something most serious road riders do?
> >
> > Looking behind you is why you've got a neck.
>
> Yeah. God put that neck there so you could look behind you while biking.

You have been watching too many re-runs of ³The Exorcist².

That would sure put the fear in the motorist behind you!

HAND

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, GaryG wrote:

> "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "DirtRoadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > | I know more "serious" riders who do not use mirrors than those who do. But Speaking only for
> > | myself, I tried one of one of these: http://www.cycleaware.com/products/view-point.asp
> >
> > That looks so small though. Is the reflected image actually bigger due to its proximity to
> > your eye?
> >

> I tried that same mirror and could not get it to work for me. I suspect it has to do with the fact
> that I don't use my eyes equally (my right eye is dominant), and my eyes are 50 years old. I know
> other riders who've tried the same mirror...all without success. YMMV

The dominant eye really needs to be the one that looks in the (helmet or glasses mounted) mirror. So
why not mount the mirror on the right side of your helmet? That has worked for me for many years.

Mark <www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:38:22 GMT, "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote:
>| importantly, works. In fact, I can't seem to identify a spot on the helmet where it will work
>| at all.
<good info snipped>
>I have no idea what you should do though, just my suggestions, as I do not know what either your
>mirror's arm or helmet look like.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The mirror has an adhesive-backed hook-and-loop attachment,
and I can stick it almost anywhere on the helmet.

What I can't figure out is where to put the mirror so that I will be able to see it, and see behind
me with it. The mirror: http://www.3rd-eye.com/(07).htm

--
Rick Onanian

"Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Looking behind you is why you've got a neck. Use it. Mirrors and associated junk are just going to
> give you a false sense of security, thinking you can see behind, where in reality the field of
> view you get is piddling.

Interesting attitude. Do you drive a car? Do you use a rearview mirror? It's entirely unnecessary
you know. It's just junk that gives you a false sense of security.

I use a rear view mirror when I ride and, strangley enough, I am still able to turn my head, too. I
like having the choice.

DR

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:40:13 +0000, Michael wrote:

> distance or not. I would prefer a non-convex (concave?) mirror though.

I think those convex mirrors are the dumbest thing that Detroit (or whoever) has done. You look into
a mirror, the _last_ thing you want is for the "objects in this mirror are closer than they appear".
So, it looks like that truck is 100 feet away, but really it's gonna run you over if you move in its
direction. How dumb is that?

I know that idea came from truckers, who for years had small round convex mirrors glued to a portion
of their side mirrors. But that was only a small part of their side mirrors, not the whole damn
thing. I used to replace my right-side car mirror with a flat one, but can't do that any more since
everything is custom-designed so it only fits one car.

Sorry this is OT -- but it would apply to convex mirrors on bikes as well. I think all the
helmet-mounted or glasses-mounted mirrors are flat, at least.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson wrote:

> I think those convex mirrors are the dumbest thing that Detroit (or whoever) has done. You look
> into a mirror, the _last_ thing you want is for the "objects in this mirror are closer than they
> appear". So, it looks like that truck is 100 feet away, but really it's gonna run you over if you
> move in its direction. How dumb is that?

The problem is that the right side mirror is so far away from your eyes that it can only give a very
small field of view.

Optically, a flat mirror is equivalent to looking through a hole in a wall. The angle of view
depends on the size of the mirror/hole, and on how far your eye is from it, in simple geometric
proportion. That's why helmet mounted mirrors can be small and still have a good angle of view.

> I know that idea came from truckers, who for years had small round convex mirrors glued to a
> portion of their side mirrors. But that was only a small part of their side mirrors, not the whole
> damn thing. I used to replace my right-side car mirror with a flat one, but can't do that any more
> since everything is custom-designed so it only fits one car.
>
> Sorry this is OT -- but it would apply to convex mirrors on bikes as well. I think all the
> helmet-mounted or glasses-mounted mirrors are flat, at least.

Yes, they have to be. With a flat mirror, your eye focusses "through" the mirror to infinity, but
with a convex mirror, your eye must focus _on_ the mirror. Glasses/helmet mirrors are too close to
the eye for most people to focus upon, and even if your eye could focus that closely, it would be
dangerous to do so because then you wouldn't be able to see clearly in front of you until your eye
re-focussed to infinity.

Sheldon "Optics" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
| When choosing between two evils, | I always like to try the one I've never | tried before. --
| Mae West |
+--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Guys, thanks for the commentary. Much to think about.

I had no idea I would be sparking such a metaphysical debate.

Scott

> David L. Johnson wrote:
>
> > I think those convex mirrors are the dumbest thing that Detroit (or whoever) has done. You look
> > into a mirror, the _last_ thing you want is for the "objects in this mirror are closer than they
> > appear". So, it
looks
> > like that truck is 100 feet away, but really it's gonna run you over if you move in its
> > direction. How dumb is that?
>
> The problem is that the right side mirror is so far away from your eyes that it can only give a
> very small field of view.
>
> Optically, a flat mirror is equivalent to looking through a hole in a wall. The angle of view
> depends on the size of the mirror/hole, and on how far your eye is from it, in simple geometric
> proportion. That's why helmet mounted mirrors can be small and still have a good angle of view.
>
> > I know that idea came from truckers, who for years had small round
convex
> > mirrors glued to a portion of their side mirrors. But that was only a small part of their side
> > mirrors, not the whole damn thing. I used to replace my right-side car mirror with a flat one,
> > but can't do that any more since everything is custom-designed so it only fits one car.
> >
> > Sorry this is OT -- but it would apply to convex mirrors on bikes as
well.
> > I think all the helmet-mounted or glasses-mounted mirrors are flat, at least.
>
> Yes, they have to be. With a flat mirror, your eye focusses "through" the mirror to infinity, but
> with a convex mirror, your eye must focus _on_ the mirror. Glasses/helmet mirrors are too close to
> the eye for most people to focus upon, and even if your eye could focus that closely, it would be
> dangerous to do so because then you wouldn't be able to see clearly in front of you until your eye
> re-focussed to
infinity.