Roadies, do you use rear-view mirrors

I tried the type of mirror that attaches to one's glasses, but couldn't get it forward enough to
give me a decent rear view. (My friend has a square one that seems to have a longer
bracket/mount thing.)

So I bought a helmet-mounted model -- had to dig a hole in the foam so clamp could get a hold on
shell -- and that seems to be working well (only a few rides so far).

I'll still turn to look if moving into a lane or something, but I like being able to see where
traffic is (or isn't) behind me.

Bill "also now know when about to be passed (by obviously rude riders! :) "
S.

"Suzy Jackson" [email protected] postulated

>Looking behind you is why you've got a neck. Use it. Mirrors and associated junk are just going to
>give you a false sense of security, thinking you can see behind, where in reality the field of view
>you get is piddling.

Don't tell me - let me guess. You don't use a seat belt while driving because it just gives a false
sense of security. And besides, it would prevent you from being thrown clear of a fiery wreck. Yup,
you won't catch me using a seat belt or rear view mirror. They are far too many risks involved.

KF

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Sorry this is OT -- but it would apply to convex mirrors on bikes as well. I think all the
> > helmet-mounted or glasses-mounted mirrors are flat, at least.
>
> Yes, they have to be. With a flat mirror, your eye focusses "through" the mirror to infinity, but
> with a convex mirror, your eye must focus _on_ the mirror. Glasses/helmet mirrors are too close to
> the eye for most people to focus upon, and even if your eye could focus that closely, it would be
> dangerous to do so because then you wouldn't be able to see clearly in front of you until your eye
> re-focussed to infinity.

Not quite, Sheldon. Your eye does not focus on the convex mirror, but rather on the virtual image
you see in the mirror. Because of the convex reflecting surface, the image is *slightly* closer than
it would be for a flat mirror.

For a flat mirror, the image is at optical infinity. For a convex mirror, the image is at a point
half the radius of the curve, measured from the reflecting surface. For the convex mirrors used on
the passenger side of a car, the image is well beyond 3 or 4 meters, which is optical infinity for
all intents and purposes.

For the purposes of helmet or glasses-mounted mirrors, the field of view is plenty wide because, as
you said, it is close to the eye. There is no need for the wider view that a convex mirror affords.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

"DirtRoadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am
getting
> > weary of not knowing what's pulling up behind me.
> >
> > Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either
helmet or
> > bar-end mounted? Is this something for the pocket protector set only, or
is
> > it something most serious road riders do?
>
> I know more "serious" riders who do not use mirrors than those who do. But Speaking only for
> myself, I tried one of one of these: http://www.cycleaware.com/products/view-point.asp
>
> a few years ago. I 've been using it ever since and wouldn't be caught riding without it. Once
> positioned properly it works extremely well. I like the fact that my view to the rear can be
> adjusted by head movement and have found this particular item to be much less distracting than I
> found in my very brief and unsatisfactory experiments with external glasses-mounted mirrors. It
> may not work well with glasses which fit tight to the face or with long hair (over the ears) which
> may block the view to the rear. It's unobtrusive and invisible if "geekiness" is a concern. But
> for the functional usefulness of a mirror fashion should really not be a factor in the equation.
>
> DR

The ViewPoint is an interesting idea. I saw it at REI once, but figured it wouldn't work for folks
who use prescription glasses. I got very frustrated trying to find a helmet mount mirror that
would fit my helmet. Ended up with the "Take a Look" mirror by Bike Peddler. It seems to work
great so far.

Originally posted by Sorni
I tried the type of mirror that attaches to one's glasses, but couldn't get it forward enough to
give me a decent rear view. (My friend has a square one that seems to have a longer
bracket/mount thing.)

So I bought a helmet-mounted model -- had to dig a hole in the foam so clamp could get a hold on
shell -- and that seems to be working well (only a few rides so far).

I'll still turn to look if moving into a lane or something, but I like being able to see where
traffic is (or isn't) behind me.

Bill "also now know when about to be passed (by obviously rude riders! :) "
S.

The Third Eye glasses mount model has a boom which can be pivotted to the side to get around the head.

One of Third Eye's helmet mount models is detachable. One end of the boom is a threaded screw that clamps in conjunction with a bracket to clamp to the bill of helmet, averting a need to drill, glue, or tape the mirror to the helmet.

Rick Onanian wrote:
> What I can't figure out is where to put the mirror so that I will be able to see it, and see
> behind me with it. The mirror: http://www.3rd-eye.com/(07).htm

To the left a little and up a little -- I tilt my head down slightly to see behind. I can still see
forwards fine and this shifts the mirror up out of my normal view. This also helps in the evening
when you're riding east :).

It does take some getting used to so that you don't "see" the mirror all the time. It also takes
practice not to get vertigo when you stare into it too long :).

Be prepared to put it on and take it off a few times getting it positioned right. I'd use scotch
tape or something else temporary until you've get it placed.

David

Carlos Klimann <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have mounted on the bar of all my bikes an Rear view mirrors for bicycles from Busch & Müller,
> model CycleStar. Is very good, small, lightway, convex, no vibrations, no corrosion.
>
> Carlos

Yes! This is the one to get.

Even with the longer boom, the Third Eye Pro mirrors gave me headaches. The Rivendell
made-by-the-handicapped version was a little better, but broke. And in both cases, adjusting them
was a distraction.

As Carlos says, the CycleStar mirrors don't have a vibration problem, can be mounted on drop bars
(either via bar-end plug or via a hose-clamp mount; it's supplied with both) and give a good field
of view. Less conspicuous than many.

Peter Storey

use H202 and q-trips!! the ears know better than the wiggling reflection. the difference between a
tri ax and a pickup filled with budmen towing that 48 foot cabin cruiser and granny lincoln is
noticeable and enuff to get your expleted deleted butt off to the berm. whereas tell me how to
differentiate between granny and the pickup with the wigle reflection?? that you gotta think about.
try tuning the eyesight was in warm-up by looking back and focusing sevral times at ride's beginning
then swinging the head back and forth at tree tops at 100 yards or whatever-get into activating the
3d eyesight component by watching the passing scenery in depoth and then looking back-without riding
off into the next lane whilst doing it. pictue a stick on the end of your nose while trying these
and look throught the stick-that'll give the 3d THEN look back.

[email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> use H202 and q-trips!! the ears know better than the wiggling reflection. the difference between a
> tri ax and a pickup filled with budmen towing that 48 foot cabin cruiser and granny lincoln is
> noticeable and enuff to get your expleted deleted butt off to the berm. whereas tell me how to
> differentiate between granny and the pickup with the wigle reflection?? that you gotta think
> about. try tuning the eyesight was in warm-up by looking back and focusing sevral times at ride's
> beginning then swinging the head back and forth at tree tops at 100 yards or whatever-get into
> activating the 3d eyesight component by watching the passing scenery in depoth and then looking
> back-without riding off into the next lane whilst doing it. pictue a stick on the end of your nose
> while trying these and look throught the stick-that'll give the 3d THEN look back.

Hmmm... looks like English.

Mike DeMicco wrote:
> [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> use H202 and q-trips!! the ears know better than the wiggling reflection. the difference between
>> a tri ax and a pickup filled with budmen towing that 48 foot cabin cruiser and granny lincoln is
>> noticeable and enuff to get your expleted deleted butt off to the berm. whereas tell me how to
>> differentiate between granny and the pickup with the wigle reflection?? that you gotta think
>> about. try tuning the eyesight was in warm-up by looking back and focusing sevral times at ride's
>> beginning then swinging the head back and forth at tree tops at 100 yards or whatever-get into
>> activating the 3d eyesight component by watching the passing scenery in depoth and then looking
>> back-without riding off into the next lane whilst doing
>> it. pictue a stick on the end of your nose while trying these and look throught the stick-that'll
>> give the 3d THEN look back.
>>

> Hmmm... looks like English.

Oh. Is that what it is. I was on the verge of asking for a translation. But since I had no idea of
what he was talking, I didn't bother.

--
Perre

Oh. Is that what it is. I was on the verge of asking for a translation. But
: since I had no idea of what he was talking, I didn't bother.

i'll take his prose over other people's drivel anyday. it has a certain rhythm, it's own
characteristic flow. i've taken to calling it poetry.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

David Reuteler wrote:
>> Oh. Is that what it is. I was on the verge of asking for a translation. But since I had no idea
>> of what he was talking, I didn't bother.
>
> i'll take his prose over other people's drivel anyday. it has a certain rhythm, it's own
> characteristic flow. i've taken to calling it poetry.

rec.bicycles.poetry
--
Perre

Originally posted by Scott Schelle
I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
what's pulling up behind me.

Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

Thanks in advance.

I ride basically 100 miles/day and would never use a mirror. First, can't use one in a race, so why get use to having one. Second, they are ugly and make me look like a geek. Third, why see what is going to hit me from behind. If I'm going to get hit, going to get hit with or without mirror........

Memph

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:17:12 +0000, Scott Schelle wrote:

> I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
> what's pulling up behind me.

Turn your head. Look.

> Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
> this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

The former. This will get some spirited response, but I do not advocate mirrors. One reason is that
looking at oncoming traffic makes you a "real person" to the drivers, rather than "a bike", so they
do give more clearance. I even feign a look back when I don't really look, just to get the attention
of drivers.

Looking back also gives you a better view. Even if you do use a mirror, don't rely on it. Look back
to verify and to see in the blind spots the mirror leaves. Yes, I do this while driving.

Most guys with bar-mounted mirrors can't use them. When riding behind them, I usually see just the
sky in the mirror, rather than their head. The image bounces around too much to be useful.
Helmet-mounted mirros avoid this, but all you see is your ear... I saw one mirror that mounted on
the top tube. Gives you a good view of the front of your shorts, but that seems a bit narcissistic.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

What do you mean, can't use one in a race? I've ridden numerous opens and state and national
championships with a rear vision mirror on my glasses. No commissaire has ever said boo.

And over the past 25 or 30 years it's saved me several times when some

misjudged it...better a dork than dead.

Nick

"Memphmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I ride basically 100 miles/day and would never use a mirror. First, can't use one in a race, so
> why get use to having one. Second, they are ugly and make me look like a geek. Third, why see what
> is going to hit me from behind. If I'm going to get hit, going to get hit with or without
> mirror........

I add a mirror when towing my Tanjor so I can watch the dog, who is more entertaining than the
scenery in reacting to things.

Tanjor http://www.lodrag.com I have the cargo version with conversion top, and my own black and rust
Doberman sitting attentively in it. You have to imagine the picture.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:17:12 -0400, "Scott Schelle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
>what's pulling up behind me.
>
>Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
>this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

I depend on my ears. I can usually hear a car approaching from the rear in plenty of time to take
appropriate action. The exception; when riding into a strong headwind. There's usually so much wind
noise it's hard to hear an approaching car until it's right on me.

Several years ago a car gave me the "courtesy honk". I caught him at the next light and said
something like, "I could hear your tire noise long before you honked at me." (His windows were
down.) His response, "What's wrong with my tires?" I started to explain, but the light changed and
he drove away. :-(

Speaking of wind, yesterday's ride was a real pain (at least heading out) because of the wind. I was
thinking about bagging today's ride because the wind is even stronger today (here in Aurora,
Illinois). As I was typing the first paragraph of this article a plastic child's wading pool came
blowing down the street. Hmmmm.

David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

: Looking back also gives you a better view. Even if you do use a mirror, don't rely on it. Look
: back to verify and to see in the blind spots the mirror leaves. Yes, I do this while driving.

Seems whenever I look back that is when the pot hole appears and I fall into it.

: Most guys with bar-mounted mirrors can't use them. When riding behind them, I usually see just the
: sky in the mirror, rather than their head.

That is because the mirror is aimed at traffic in the left lane and not aimed at a bike behind
the rider.

: The image bounces around too much to be useful. Helmet-mounted mirros avoid this, but all you see
: is your ear...

Maybe you have big ears. You use the tip of the ear to properly aim the helmet mirror.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:17:12 +0000, Scott Schelle wrote:
>

>>I ride 50 - 100 miles a week on the roads around Baltimore and am getting weary of not knowing
>>what's pulling up behind me.
>

> Turn your head. Look.
>
>>Question: What is the thinking regarding rear-view mirrors, either helmet or bar-end mounted? Is
>>this something for the pocket protector set only, or is it something most serious road riders do?

I have never seen Lance use a mirror, so if you want to fantasize about being him, using a mirror
might disturb your daydreaming.

> The former. This will get some spirited response, but I do not advocate mirrors. One reason is
> that looking at oncoming traffic makes you a "real person" to the drivers, rather than "a bike",
> so they do give more clearance. I even feign a look back when I don't really look, just to get the
> attention of drivers.
>
> Looking back also gives you a better view. Even if you do use a mirror, don't rely on it. Look
> back to verify and to see in the blind spots the mirror leaves.

Are you related to the girl that was in The Exorcist? Maybe I just have a very inflexible neck, but
I can't turn my head and look at the traffic behind me.

> Yes, I do this while driving.

According to the teacher at the driving school I attended, this was a sure way to fail the
driving test.

> Most guys with bar-mounted mirrors can't use them. When riding behind them, I usually see just the
> sky in the mirror, rather than their head.

The mirror is there for _them_ to see in , not for the guy riding behind them.

> The image bounces around too much to be useful.

If the image bounces around they must have forgotten to tighten the screws when they mounted the
mirror, or they have a really crappy mirror. I have a zefal mirror that I payed NOK79 for (=10USD)
and the image doesn't bounce around _at all_.

http://www.zefal.com/anglais/produits/471.html

Per D. Sørensen