Roadkill

ac5me

Aug 11, 2014
I'm a fairly new rider and where we live in a locale where there are zero bike lanes. I want to know in riding four lane highways with about an 8 foot shoulder... Do I ride on the roadway just inside the white line or do I ride the shoulders with all the debris? Any input is welcomed. Thanks /AC5ME

This is a personal judgment item. Many states have laws that state something to the effect of, "as far right as practicable". For me, I don't like to ride way over on the shoulder for a couple reasons. One, as you said, there is often lots of debris. Two, you are then further out of the line of sight of drivers, making them more likely to do something that puts you in danger and not see you at all. I do have an exception to this, and that is when I'm riding on a divided highway where the speed limit is 55 MPH or higher (I try to avoid this), then I'll ride way to the right.

It really does depend on the road. I avoid high speed, high traffic areas. I have only one road that has a wide shoulder that I use and it ha s lot of debris on it.I have seen lots of glass, nails, unknown metal objects, condoms, bras and even found a credit card.

Originally Posted by jpr95
This is a personal judgment item. Many states have laws that state something to the effect of, "as far right as practicable". For me, I don't like to ride way over on the shoulder for a couple reasons. One, as you said, there is often lots of debris. Two, you are then further out of the line of sight of drivers, making them more likely to do something that puts you in danger and not see you at all. I do have an exception to this, and that is when I'm riding on a divided highway where the speed limit is 55 MPH or higher (I try to avoid this), then I'll ride way to the right.

What he said. It depends on road condition and traffic speed. Some roads are so full of debris that you have no choice but to ride over the white line. Riding on twisty back roads were speeds are lower and the shoulder is small, it's often best to ride 1/4 to 1/3 into the lane as it allows cars it see you better and sooner, rather than not seeing you until they're squeezing you off into a ditch. Likewise on any road where there is a small speed differential between you and the cars. On roads were traffic is moving 50mph+ (something I try my best to avoid unless absolutely necessary and even then only if I'm in a large group), it's best to stay as far to the right as possible simply because the risk of distracted drivers not having enough time to react and slow down/move over is greater than the risk of them wandering onto the shoulder.

Thanks guys, this has helped. I appreciate the input... Happy trails!

Glad to see a more experienced cyclist express reservations about riding alongside cars running at 55-plus speed limits. We're fortunate to live in a very bike friendly area where we have bike lanes even on the "main drag" running through the area. I haven't worked up the courage to get out into that 60 and 65 mile an hour traffic, even WITH that little narrow lane "reserved" for my use. The secondary roads feel tons friendlier at the moment.

Yes you'd have to judge it as you go really. Its better to stick with safe terrain or road you have the right space to ride on.

Most will ride right in the road in that far lane. I mean why not? Sticking closer to that white line would be good to make it fair.

I actually aim for the line when there's not bike lane. Try to stick as close to it and so far I've never had any scares. I honestly have no idea what the laws are here, but I'm sure I'm not breaking them. And this is a tricky title, I thought it was going to be about dead animals, which seriously messes up my day.

Are there specific areas like bike trails or spots you have seen driving that would be more better suited? Could you drive your bike to wear you wanted to ride and practice there? I also completely thought this post was going to be about what kind of roadkill you have seen riding!

I wouldn't want to be as far to the right as possible. I don't know either way it's a dangerous situation.

Well I'm too much of a coward to ride in the traffic. My roads are a bit different though so I'm not sure how you would go about it.

I make a point of steering clear from highways or roads with many lanes. These tend to be quite dangerous, as most drivers ride their vehicles at high speeds. I prefer to stick to suburban roads, that are fairly quiet during on most days. On top of that, the scenery is also a lot better.

It really depends, as many have said. I live in an area where there is not as much traffic, so I can ride freely in the lane, depending on the time of day. I avoid the side of the road because of the debris that people tend to throw out of their cars and onto the street. I have found that early morning is the best time, as there is much less traffic. We do have traffic laws here though, where when there is not a bike lane that is usable, we have to stay in the lane, but as far to the right as possible. Cycling is a common hobby around my area so many drivers are accepting and will just move over slightly to avoid hitting you, but there are the few that don't pay attention and will clip you and keep going (hit and runs are very common for both bicycles and motorcycles in my area).

Roadkill is fairly common where I live. I will eventually need a clothespin for my nose because the foul smell makes me lose the equilibrium over my bike.

Sticking to that white line seems like a good bet. I avoid riding on highways. If the shoulder is unsafe to ride on, sticking close to that white line is good enough for cars in that lane to pass by.

This reminds me of the call for bike lanes here because roads with no bike lanes are dangerous to your well-being. That is one reason why I seldom get out of our village to ride because the roads are not safe for riders, whether bicycle or motorcycle, especially when you see the big delivery truck and container vans, I'm sure you would also be scared.

When I ride with the group in the main roads, I always try to be in the middle. Those veteran riders always tell me that cyclists should take the outer lane particularly when there is much traffic on the road. And when there is an obstruction in that lane, go to the next lane only when the traffic is light otherwise, find a safer way.. in the sidewalk maybe.

Yes driving over the soldier is fine. I usually gently ease in it to give cars an idea that I am trying to avoid something on the ground.