Roadrunner SWB

Paul Milner

Guest
Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the main tube and rear stays is? I've got some 3"x.160"
aluminum tubing/pipe at work that I want to use for a homebuilt but I think that is a little
overkill. Paul Milner

[email protected] (Paul Milner) wrote:
> Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the main tube and rear stays is? I've got some
> 3"x.160" aluminum tubing/pipe at work that I want to use for a homebuilt but I think that is a
> little overkill. Paul Milner

Paul, A 3"x.160 aluminum tube is more than a "little" overkill. My Bacchetta Corsa clone uses a
2-1/4" aluminum tube with a .065 wall. A three foot section of the tube I`m using weighs 1.57 lbs.
A three foot section of 3"x.160 aluminum tube would weigh 5.03 lbs. What is your weight, or the
weight of the person who will be riding your homebuilt? Are you heat treating the frame if
aluminum is used?

Don

Hey don't discourage him, I am dying to see this 160 inch long SWB, especially want to see it
do turns LOL

news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Paul Milner) wrote:
> > Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the main tube and rear stays is? I've got some
> > 3"x.160" aluminum tubing/pipe at work that I want to use for a homebuilt but I think that is a
> > little overkill. Paul Milner
>
> Paul, A 3"x.160 aluminum tube is more than a "little" overkill. My Bacchetta Corsa clone uses a
> 2-1/4" aluminum tube with a .065 wall. A three foot section of the tube I`m using weighs 1.57 lbs.
> A three foot section of 3"x.160 aluminum tube would weigh 5.03 lbs. What is your weight, or the
> weight of the person who will be riding your homebuilt? Are you heat treating the frame if
> aluminum is used?
>
> Don

news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey don't discourage him, I am dying to see this 160 inch long SWB, especially want to see it do
> turns LOL

> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Paul Milner) wrote:
> > > Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the main tube and rear stays is? I've got some
> > > 3"x.160" aluminum tubing/pipe at work that I want to use for a homebuilt but I think that is a
> > > little overkill. Paul Milner
> >
> > Paul, A 3"x.160 aluminum tube is more than a "little" overkill. My Bacchetta Corsa clone uses a
> > 2-1/4" aluminum tube with a .065 wall. A three foot section of the tube I`m using weighs 1.57
> > lbs. A three foot section of 3"x.160 aluminum tube would weigh 5.03 lbs. What is your weight, or
> > the weight of the person who will be riding your homebuilt? Are you heat treating the frame if
> > aluminum is used?
> >
> > Don

Hi Josh, Perhaps I didn't give th tubing dimensions correctly. The diameter is 3" and the wall
thickness is .160". I hope I can find a heat treatment oven here in Albuquerque. If not, I'll build
a simple one and stay close by to adjust the heat as necessary. Paul

> [email protected] (Paul Milner) wrote:
> > Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the main tube and rear stays is? I've got some
> > 3"x.160" aluminum tubing/pipe at work that I want to use for a homebuilt but I think that is a
> > little overkill. Paul Milner
>
> Paul, A 3"x.160 aluminum tube is more than a "little" overkill. My Bacchetta Corsa clone uses a
> 2-1/4" aluminum tube with a .065 wall. A three foot section of the tube I`m using weighs 1.57 lbs.
> A three foot section of 3"x.160 aluminum tube would weigh 5.03 lbs. What is your weight, or the
> weight of the person who will be riding your homebuilt? Are you heat treating the frame if
> aluminum is used?
>
> Don
Hi Don, The guy who will be riding the bike is 6'-5" and around 300 lbs. We call him 'Tiny'. Paul

Darn....I didn't see the decimal point till I looked at it again...time for new spectacles. "Paul
Milner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hey don't discourage him, I am dying to see this 160 inch long SWB, especially want to see it do
> > turns LOL

> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Paul, A 3"x.160 aluminum tube is more than a "little" overkill. My Bacchetta Corsa clone uses
> > > a 2-1/4" aluminum tube with a .065 wall. A three foot section of the tube I`m using weighs
> > > 1.57 lbs. A three foot section of 3"x.160 aluminum tube would weigh 5.03 lbs. What is your
> > > weight, or the weight of the person who will be riding your homebuilt? Are you heat treating
> > > the frame if aluminum is used?
> > >
> > > Don
>
> Hi Josh, Perhaps I didn't give th tubing dimensions correctly. The diameter is 3" and the wall
> thickness is .160". I hope I can find a heat treatment oven here in Albuquerque. If not, I'll
> build a simple one and stay close by to adjust the heat as necessary. Paul

Just clean the monitor - so you won't expect the random dots everywhere. ;-)

Pardon me if I'm not treating the language with proper respect, but how do you learn to write
english if not by writing english? Jeg kunne jo også bare slå over i dansk, så jeg var lidt mere på
hjemmebane.

Med højagtelse, Torben

> Darn....I didn't see the decimal point till I looked at it again...time
for
> new spectacles. "Paul Milner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hey don't discourage him, I am dying to see this 160 inch long SWB, especially want to see it
> > > do turns LOL

> > > news:[email protected]...

Bacchetta
or

> > Hi Josh, Perhaps I didn't give th tubing dimensions correctly. The diameter is 3" and the wall
> > thickness is .160". I hope I can find a heat treatment oven here in Albuquerque. If not, I'll
> > build a simple one and stay close by to adjust the heat as necessary. Paul

Torben First time the dimensions were given it read 3" x. 160"=3 inches by 160 inches (the decimel
point was present, but not located where it should have been) re: 3" x. 160" should have been 3" x
.160"= X (space) dot, not Xdot (space)
"Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just clean the monitor - so you won't expect the random dots everywhere.
;-)

> Pardon me if I'm not treating the language with proper respect, but how do you learn to write
> english if not by writing english? Jeg kunne jo også bare slå over i dansk, så jeg var lidt mere
> på hjemmebane.
>
> Med højagtelse, Torben
>

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Darn....I didn't see the decimal point till I looked at it again...time
> for
> > new spectacles. "Paul Milner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> Bacchetta
> foot
> or

> > > Hi Josh, Perhaps I didn't give th tubing dimensions correctly. The diameter is 3" and the wall
> > > thickness is .160". I hope I can find a heat treatment oven here in Albuquerque. If not, I'll
> > > build a simple one and stay close by to adjust the heat as necessary. Paul

Paul, Forget about trying to heat treat aluminum in an oven....it has to be solution heat treated,
where the metal is brought almost to the point of melting. I think you would be better off building
with chromoly...

Don

Paul Milner wrote:

> Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the main tube and rear stays is? I've got some
> 3"x.160" aluminum tubing/pipe at work that I want to use for a homebuilt but I think that is a
> little overkill. Paul Milner

Construction article on Mother Earth News 2F1R homebrew trike with specs, parts list and drawings.

This article is available online at the Mother Earth News website.

Here's the link:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=081/081-162-01&ID=2613&Num=4