Roads Gone Wild

[email protected] (Pete Bentley) wrote:

| http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.12/traffic.html
|
| "No street signs. No crosswalks. No accidents. Surprise: Making
| driving seem more dangerous could make it safer."

But it's still only other cars that are a danger to drivers. I don't
see how pedestrians can cross more safely or cyclists have equal right
of way in the above situation. My instinct is that in this country
once people get used to it what would prevail is the perceived
strength with which you assert your position i.e. we'll just have more
Chelsea tractors "otherwise you never get a decent turn at the
crossroads".

| Somehow can't see it working in, say, the West End of London
| but an it's interesting that traffic engineers are starting
| to think differently.

Agree.

Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:51:24 GMT someone who may be Paul Rudin
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Bear in mind that the UK has a pretty good record for overall deaths
>and serious injuries on the roads compared with many Europoean
>countries.

According to those responsible for road safety in the UK. They would
say that wouldn't they?

Those without a vested interest in the myth of a good record point
out that comparisons between the UK and the mainland are rather more
complicated.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.