Roads in North Chicago - Why so bad?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Robert Nicholso, May 26, 2003.

  1. I've just come back from a ride from Ontario St to North Western Campus. What struck me was how
    bad the roads were here. Why is it some of the more wealthier neighborhoods have absolutely
    terrible roads?

    Tags:

  2. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | I've just come back from a ride from Ontario St to North Western Campus. What struck me was how
    | bad the roads were here. Why is it some of the more wealthier neighborhoods have absolutely
    | terrible roads?

    Keeps the volume and speed of traffic down ED3

  3. I'm told it has something to with the salt and ice during the winter.

    "Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | I've just come back from a ride from Ontario St to North Western Campus. What struck me was how
    > | bad the roads were here. Why is it some of the more wealthier neighborhoods have absolutely
    > | terrible roads?
    >
    > Keeps the volume and speed of traffic down ED3

  4. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > I've just come back from a ride from Ontario St to North Western Campus. What struck me was how
    > bad the roads were here. Why is it some of the more wealthier neighborhoods have absolutely
    > terrible roads?

    To minimize the number and speed of people who decide to take a drive through them. We see the same
    thing in some of the neighborhoods where I live. In one case, the town wanted to repave the road,
    and the residents put up a big fight against. The final result was that the first 100 yards or so
    was left unrepaired, so that it looked like a bad road from the turn, and the rest was redone to be
    a very nice ride.

  5. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | I'm told it has something to with the salt and ice during the winter.
    |
    | "Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | I've just come back from a ride from Ontario St to North Western Campus. What struck me was
    | > | how bad the roads were here. Why is it some of the more wealthier neighborhoods have
    | > | absolutely terrible roads?
    | >
    | > Keeps the volume and speed of traffic down ED3
    While the forces of winter, as well as salt will effect any road, there is definitely
    influence used to defer maintenance of roads in many areas that might be otherwise attractive
    commuting routes