Roadside carnage

Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.

I came upon this gory scene next to the no-shoulder two-lane road on
my daily ride and took pictures from different angles.

The victim, a racer (red for speed) was not wearing a helmet.

According to authorities, the assailant (it was obviously no
accident)is a naturalized immigrant from Jamaica, who fled the scene.

The shadow in the last picture shows how close the camera was--yes,
those are ribs.

Click on the lower right to view full size in Explorer.

http://i3.tinypic.com/6hft9br.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/6g2lso8.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/61ju64l.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/6f5kbr9.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/4ub2qsi.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/62fvi3r.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/52nx1ef.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.
>
> I came upon this gory scene next to the no-shoulder two-lane road on
> my daily ride and took pictures from different angles.
>
> The victim, a racer (red for speed) was not wearing a helmet.

So he would have been fine if only he was wearing a helmet?

On Tue, 22 May 2007 04:02:17 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com>
wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.
>>
>> I came upon this gory scene next to the no-shoulder two-lane road on
>> my daily ride and took pictures from different angles.
>>
>> The victim, a racer (red for speed) was not wearing a helmet.

>So he would have been fine if only he was wearing a helmet?

Dear Tom,

If this victim had been wearing a bicycling helmet, it seems likely
that no one would have even seen him, much less killed him.

:)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.
>
> I came upon this gory scene next to the no-shoulder two-lane road on
> my daily ride and took pictures from different angles.
>
> The victim, a racer (red for speed) was not wearing a helmet.
>
> According to authorities, the assailant (it was obviously no
> accident)is a naturalized immigrant from Jamaica, who fled the scene.
>
> The shadow in the last picture shows how close the camera was--yes,
> those are ribs.
>
> Click on the lower right to view full size in Explorer.
>
> http://i3.tinypic.com/6hft9br.jpg
>
> http://i14.tinypic.com/6g2lso8.jpg
>
> http://i13.tinypic.com/61ju64l.jpg
>
> http://i13.tinypic.com/6f5kbr9.jpg
>
> http://i14.tinypic.com/4ub2qsi.jpg
>
> http://i18.tinypic.com/62fvi3r.jpg
>
> http://i17.tinypic.com/52nx1ef.jpg
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Last time I watched an eagle kill and eat a snake was near the Rogue
River in a somewhat wild part of Oregon.

I'm going to begin carrying my camera with me more often, but I do wish
there was an easy way to combine bicycling and 8 x 10 format plates, not
to mention the bellows, sufficiently sturdy tripod, etc.

--
Ted Bennett

[email protected] wrote:

> Click on the lower right to view full size in Explorer.

What am I supposed to click on?

> http://i3.tinypic.com/6hft9br.jpg
>
> http://i14.tinypic.com/6g2lso8.jpg
>
> http://i13.tinypic.com/61ju64l.jpg
>
> http://i13.tinypic.com/6f5kbr9.jpg
>
> http://i14.tinypic.com/4ub2qsi.jpg
>
> http://i18.tinypic.com/62fvi3r.jpg
>
> http://i17.tinypic.com/52nx1ef.jpg

Rad!

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Ted Bennett wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.
>>
>> I came upon this gory scene next to the no-shoulder two-lane road on
>> my daily ride and took pictures from different angles.
>>
>> The victim, a racer (red for speed) was not wearing a helmet.
>>
>> According to authorities, the assailant (it was obviously no
>> accident)is a naturalized immigrant from Jamaica, who fled the scene.
>>
>> The shadow in the last picture shows how close the camera was--yes,
>> those are ribs.
>>
>> Click on the lower right to view full size in Explorer.
>>
>> http://i3.tinypic.com/6hft9br.jpg
>>
>> http://i14.tinypic.com/6g2lso8.jpg
>>
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/61ju64l.jpg
>>
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/6f5kbr9.jpg
>>
>> http://i14.tinypic.com/4ub2qsi.jpg
>>
>> http://i18.tinypic.com/62fvi3r.jpg
>>
>> http://i17.tinypic.com/52nx1ef.jpg
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

> Last time I watched an eagle kill and eat a snake was near the Rogue
> River in a somewhat wild part of Oregon.
>
> I'm going to begin carrying my camera with me more often, but I do wish
> there was an easy way to combine bicycling and 8 x 10 format plates, not
> to mention the bellows, sufficiently sturdy tripod, etc.

I once saw redtailed hawk fly over with a garter snake in it's talons
with a baby hawk flying wing.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On Tue, 22 May 2007 05:01:53 GMT, Ted Bennett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.
>>
>> I came upon this gory scene next to the no-shoulder two-lane road on
>> my daily ride and took pictures from different angles.
>>
>> The victim, a racer (red for speed) was not wearing a helmet.
>>
>> According to authorities, the assailant (it was obviously no
>> accident)is a naturalized immigrant from Jamaica, who fled the scene.
>>
>> The shadow in the last picture shows how close the camera was--yes,
>> those are ribs.
>>
>> Click on the lower right to view full size in Explorer.
>>
>> http://i3.tinypic.com/6hft9br.jpg
>>
>> http://i14.tinypic.com/6g2lso8.jpg
>>
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/61ju64l.jpg
>>
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/6f5kbr9.jpg
>>
>> http://i14.tinypic.com/4ub2qsi.jpg
>>
>> http://i18.tinypic.com/62fvi3r.jpg
>>
>> http://i17.tinypic.com/52nx1ef.jpg
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>Last time I watched an eagle kill and eat a snake was near the Rogue
>River in a somewhat wild part of Oregon.
>
>I'm going to begin carrying my camera with me more often, but I do wish
>there was an easy way to combine bicycling and 8 x 10 format plates, not
>to mention the bellows, sufficiently sturdy tripod, etc.

Dear Ted,

Here's an article whose title promises just what you want, "wheel"
being the term back then for a bicycle:

"Around the World with Wheel and Camera" by Frank G. Lenz

Lenz's article begins with a picture showing how to combine bicycling
and 8 x 10 format plates, not to mention the bellows, sufficiently
sturdy tripod, etc.:

http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_21/outXXI03/outXXI03j.pdf

"Outing" magazine 1892

For some reason, I feel sympathy for Lenz's closing comment in that
early installment in his adventures:

"The 'pneumatic' tires had been only once actually punctured since
leaving New York—-a distance of 2,628 miles—-and that happened in this
wise: The cactus plants begin to get rather thick in the Dakotas and
Montana bad lands to here. I had so much confidence in the 'pneumatic'
tires that I recklessly ran over several plants near this city,
thinking the needles were too brittle to puncture, but to my surprise
they were as stiff as steel, and both wheels became flat in ten
minutes. On examining the wheel the tire was full of needles, some
broken off short, others having penetrated the inner tube: I found it
necessary to carefully draw them all out before replacing with a new
inner tube. On repairing the tubes afterward it was very difficult
indeed to find the tiny holes made by these needles. I now ride very
cautiously where the cactus grows."

After Lenz crossed the Pacific, thieves in China added to his
miserable bicycling problems in freezing weather by stealing his
camera tripod, whose new-fangled light-weight wonder-material they
probably mistook for silver:

"The fifth day in the snow and ice I tried to hire other coolies, but
all were anxious to stay indoors, so I continued on due west alone. By
and by I neared a good-sized lake not on my map. The Chinese told me
to go back to get around it. Back I went through the mud and slush,
the matter freezing solid in my forks every half mile, compelling
me to chisel it out with my screw driver. I reached the road inn
again, and to my chagrin my aluminum tripod was missing. Some thief
had stolen it while I was eating lunch during the day, no doubt
mistaking it for silver."

"Outing" magazine, 1894
http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_24/outXXIV02/outXXIV02k.pdf

Alas, Lenz was murdered in the Middle East before finishing his world
tour.

Concerning snakes and bicycles, I've been dying to stick the following
tid-bit in somewhere, and this is as good a place as any:

"'Colorado.'— Send your name and address to Allen S. Williams, Room D,
8th floor, 220 Broadway, N. Y. A society for herpetological study is
in contemplation, and you will obtain all the necessary information
from him. The second show is announced."

"Outing" magazine, 1899
http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_35/outXXXV01/outXXXV01zg.pdf

[It's not from my email--it's one of those enigmatic "Answers to
Correspondents" beloved of turn-of-the-century magazine editors, who
delighted in leaving their other readers to wonder not only what the
hell "Colorado's" question was about snakes, but what the first and
second show were about.]

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mon, 21 May 2007 22:22:01 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>>

>> Click on the lower right to view full size in Explorer.

>What am I supposed to click on?
>

>> http://i3.tinypic.com/6hft9br.jpg
>>
>> http://i14.tinypic.com/6g2lso8.jpg
>>
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/61ju64l.jpg
>>
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/6f5kbr9.jpg
>>
>> http://i14.tinypic.com/4ub2qsi.jpg
>>
>> http://i18.tinypic.com/62fvi3r.jpg
>>
>> http://i17.tinypic.com/52nx1ef.jpg
>>

>Rad!
>
>Greg

Dear Greg,

Er, Red!

Racer and -tail hawk, that is.

:)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On May 22, 1:41 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007 05:01:53 GMT, Ted Bennett
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] wrote:

> >> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.

> >> I came upon this gory scene next to the no-shoulder two-lane road on
> >> my daily ride and took pictures from different angles.

> >> The victim, a racer (red for speed) was not wearing a helmet.

> >> According to authorities, the assailant (it was obviously no
> >> accident)is a naturalized immigrant from Jamaica, who fled the scene.

> >> The shadow in the last picture shows how close the camera was--yes,
> >> those are ribs.

> >> Click on the lower right to view full size in Explorer.

> >>http://i3.tinypic.com/6hft9br.jpg

> >>http://i14.tinypic.com/6g2lso8.jpg

> >>http://i13.tinypic.com/61ju64l.jpg

> >>http://i13.tinypic.com/6f5kbr9.jpg

> >>http://i14.tinypic.com/4ub2qsi.jpg

> >>http://i18.tinypic.com/62fvi3r.jpg

> >>http://i17.tinypic.com/52nx1ef.jpg

> >> Cheers,

> >> Carl Fogel

> >Last time I watched an eagle kill and eat a snake was near the Rogue
> >River in a somewhat wild part of Oregon.

> >I'm going to begin carrying my camera with me more often, but I do wish
> >there was an easy way to combine bicycling and 8 x 10 format plates, not
> >to mention the bellows, sufficiently sturdy tripod, etc.

> Dear Ted,
>
> Here's an article whose title promises just what you want, "wheel"
> being the term back then for a bicycle:
>
> "Around the World with Wheel and Camera" by Frank G. Lenz
>
> Lenz's article begins with a picture showing how to combine bicycling
> and 8 x 10 format plates, not to mention the bellows, sufficiently
> sturdy tripod, etc.:
>
> http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_21/outXXI03/outXXI03...

I'm not going to bother trying to read that until I figure out how to
set the background color to white and other new and interesting things
on this computer I have just found myself being able to use whenever I
want (and in an air conditioned office too... oh dear, my cycling may
suffer) but I did get a look at the cover photo and I'm curious ... it
appears that his saddle isn't actually attached to the frame by a
seatpost but rather by some sort of sproingy whoozawhatsis attaching
it to the contents of the rack??

-M

"Marian" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> it appears that his saddle isn't actually attached to the frame by
> a seatpost but rather by some sort of sproingy whoozawhatsis
> attaching it to the contents of the rack??

I think the apparent attachment to the rear luggage is just a trick of
perspective. Lenz rode an Overman Victor Safety, as described in the account
of his departure from Pittsburg:

http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_20/outXX05/outXX05a.pdf

There's a small picture of the 1891 model here:

http://www.ict.mic.ul.ie/websites/work/michelle_nichinneide/history.htm

Lenz's seatpost is obviously different from that one, but is similar in
general form to that of the Columbia Safety pictured below on the same page,
or in more detail here:

http://www.copakeauction.com/bicycles/2003-bicycles/035.jpg

You can see the Victor's sprung fork in more detail on this older model:

http://www.copakeauction.com/bicycles/2003-bicycles/040-2.jpg

James Thomson

catzz66 wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.

Nice Photos, Carl!

> Where were these taken? Do you know?

Near Pueblo, CO. Your question is an invitation for a really long answer. :)

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

dvt wrote:
> catzz66 wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.

> Nice Photos, Carl!
>
>> Where were these taken? Do you know?

> Near Pueblo, CO. Your question is an invitation for a really long
> answer. :)

Heh. Looks like where I grew up, though, Land of Enchantment (NM).

On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:57:27 -0500, catzz66
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.

>Where were these taken? Do you know?

Dear C,

Why, yes, I do!

[I feel the hook, but I can't resist the troll . . .]

The juniper and cottonwood country, up the Arkansas river. Prairie
bluffs with mountain views up on top, cliffs and level shale terraces
with junipers running down gullies in the middle, and cottonwood river
scenery down below.

Specifically, I took the picture at the top of the south end of the
dam at Pueblo, Colorado, looking northeast across the Arkansas River
toward Baculite Mesa. The river and its trees are mostly hidden in the
picture, down in the valley.

More specifically, here's my daily ride, which starts and ends at the
tiny red tail on the right. The yellow arrow on the left shows the
spot where the snake met its end and the direction of the view:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4kynamo.jpg

Here's a photo of the same grisly scene looking south toward the
nearby bluffs.

http://i14.tinypic.com/664vnfq.jpg

Starting point for true map fiends:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=14&Z=13&X=164&Y=1323&W=3

Go west one panel up the river. This is the view looking south up Rush
Creek, on the south side of the Arkansas under "Denver" on the
railroad line:

http://i5.tinypic.com/4ly75z9.jpg

The Greenhorn is the snowy mountain on the left, and the Snowslide is
the snow streak on the right, the main landmarks on the Wet Mountains.

Gratuitous pelican flying over reservoir, looking north from the south
bluffs:

http://i1.tinypic.com/4qoihb5.jpg

In the picture above, the very faint blue hill on the very left is
forty miles away, next to Colorado Springs, and climbs up to Pikes
Peak.

Here's a view of Pikes Peak across the dam, half a mile from snake
scene:

http://i6.tinypic.com/5xrawbr.jpg

Better view of Pikes Peak, looking across prairie bluff and across
Arkansas valley:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4xvo7qv.jpg

Ignoring distant mountains, here's a typical gully with three deer:

http://i13.tinypic.com/4ou6fkg.jpg

Same gully, lower down. The water is flowing toward the camera down
the shallow rock terraces and vanishing into the fractured shale creek
bed:

http://i12.tinypic.com/6b3gh03.jpg

River, bare cottonwoods, bluffs:

http://i13.tinypic.com/4tqtzyx.jpg

Other than that, it's pretty flat and featureless around here, except
for occasional antelope herds and hawks flying off the fence like
this:

http://i15.tinypic.com/5x3gs21.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:57:27 -0500, catzz66
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.

>>Where were these taken? Do you know?

> Dear C,
>
> Why, yes, I do!

Believe it or not, mine was actually a serious question. Used to go
camping west of Antonito in the summers 20 or so years ago and the
terrain looked familiar. Thanks for the info.

On 22 May 2007 00:15:16 -0700, Marian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On May 22, 1:41 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 May 2007 05:01:53 GMT, Ted Bennett
>>

>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Last time I watched an eagle kill and eat a snake was near the Rogue
>> >River in a somewhat wild part of Oregon.

>> >I'm going to begin carrying my camera with me more often, but I do wish
>> >there was an easy way to combine bicycling and 8 x 10 format plates, not
>> >to mention the bellows, sufficiently sturdy tripod, etc.

>> Dear Ted,
>>
>> Here's an article whose title promises just what you want, "wheel"
>> being the term back then for a bicycle:
>>
>> "Around the World with Wheel and Camera" by Frank G. Lenz
>>
>> Lenz's article begins with a picture showing how to combine bicycling
>> and 8 x 10 format plates, not to mention the bellows, sufficiently
>> sturdy tripod, etc.:
>>
>> http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_21/outXXI03/outXXI03...

>I'm not going to bother trying to read that until I figure out how to
>set the background color to white and other new and interesting things
>on this computer I have just found myself being able to use whenever I
>want (and in an air conditioned office too... oh dear, my cycling may
>suffer) but I did get a look at the cover photo and I'm curious ... it
>appears that his saddle isn't actually attached to the frame by a
>seatpost but rather by some sort of sproingy whoozawhatsis attaching
>it to the contents of the rack??
>
>-M

Dear Marian,

Odd spring-suspension seats were common back then because the roads
were so rough. (Keep reading and you'll come to a detailed picture.)

To get from New York to California, Lenz often rode on the railroad
tracks--not beside them, but over the wooden railroad ties.

Here's a picture of Lenz in India enlarged to show his front
suspension and elaborate spring-seat:

http://i10.tinypic.com/5ywikhu.jpg

The picture is very fuzzy, but it's about as good as you'll get from
that magazine--I took it from this installment of Lenz's tour:
http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_26/outXXVI04/outXXVI04l.pdf

Here's the same model that Lenz rode, somewhat dilapidated:

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle385.htm

This picture shows the sproingy whoozawhatsis in all its glory:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1673.htm

Here's a similar seat on a hard-tire, no-front-suspension bike of the
same era:

http://www.metzbicyclemuseum.com/Bike20a.html

Here's another bike with a similar seat from the Smithsonian:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/ONTHEMOVE/collection/object_293.html

Note that the wheels are 31.25 inches rear and 30 inches front--the
larger-than-modern wheels rolled a little more easily over the bumps.
That's why the penny-farthing highwheelers were endurable--a 50-inch
wheel smooths out some of the road shock of a solid tire.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Per [email protected]:
>Odd spring-suspension seats were common back then because the roads
>were so rough. (Keep reading and you'll come to a detailed picture.)
>
>To get from New York to California, Lenz often rode on the railroad
>tracks--not beside them, but over the wooden railroad ties.

It's always wondered me that today, when bikes are mainly
playthings, sprung saddles seem tb the ultimate in un-cool.

OTOH back when bicycles were really used day-in and day-out it
seems like *everybody* rode on sprung saddles.
--
PeteCresswell

"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per [email protected]:
>>Odd spring-suspension seats were common back then because the roads
>>were so rough. (Keep reading and you'll come to a detailed picture.)
>>
>>To get from New York to California, Lenz often rode on the railroad
>>tracks--not beside them, but over the wooden railroad ties.

> It's always wondered me that today, when bikes are mainly
> playthings, sprung saddles seem tb the ultimate in un-cool.
>
> OTOH back when bicycles were really used day-in and day-out it
> seems like *everybody* rode on sprung saddles.

The roads are generally smoother now. And there was only a relatively short
period of time when mtn bikes didn't have a suspension.

Greg
--
Ticketbastard tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

[email protected] wrote:
> Caution: increasingly gruesome pictures.

Thanks for taking & posting them.

> The shadow in the last picture shows how close the camera was...

I'm surprised it let you get so close. How did it behave as you
approached?

On May 22, 9:34 am, catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
> dvt wrote:
> > catzz66 wrote:

> > Nice Photos, Carl!

> >> Where were these taken? Do you know?

> > Near Pueblo, CO. Your question is an invitation for a really long
> > answer. :)

> Heh. Looks like where I grew up, though, Land of Enchantment (NM).

Same thing at that longitude.