roast beef in the crockpot?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by MJ, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. MJ

    MJ Guest

    This may seem like stupid question but here it goes anyways..
    I usually buy a blade roast and do it in the crockpot...but the store had
    top sirloin roasts on sale so i bought one but i did it in the oven. It
    turned out very dry..now the question is..could it of been done in the
    crockpot also? I know there are different kinds of roasts like pot roasts
    and oven roasts...but does it matter which ones you do in the crockpot?
    Every roast i do in the crockpot comes out great and they are just a cheap
    cut. So when i bought the better cut i was expecting alot better..anyways
    does anyone have any input on this?
    Thanks
    MJ

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    MJ wrote:
    > This may seem like stupid question but here it goes anyways..
    > I usually buy a blade roast and do it in the crockpot...but the store
    > had top sirloin roasts on sale so i bought one but i did it in the
    > oven. It turned out very dry..now the question is..could it of been
    > done in the crockpot also? I know there are different kinds of roasts
    > like pot roasts and oven roasts...but does it matter which ones you
    > do in the crockpot? Every roast i do in the crockpot comes out great
    > and they are just a cheap cut. So when i bought the better cut i was
    > expecting alot better..anyways does anyone have any input on this?
    > Thanks
    > MJ

    Cheap (read tough) cuts are best done slow simmered or slow cooked for a
    moist, falling apart roast. You didn't get a better cut, you got a more
    expensive cut of cheap meat. Stick to the crock pot. Nothing wrong with
    that!

    Jill

  3. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "MJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5OU%[email protected]
    > This may seem like stupid question but here it goes anyways..
    > I usually buy a blade roast and do it in the crockpot...but the store had
    > top sirloin roasts on sale so i bought one but i did it in the oven. It
    > turned out very dry..now the question is..could it of been done in the
    > crockpot also? I know there are different kinds of roasts like pot roasts
    > and oven roasts...but does it matter which ones you do in the crockpot?
    > Every roast i do in the crockpot comes out great and they are just a cheap
    > cut. So when i bought the better cut i was expecting alot better..anyways
    > does anyone have any input on this?
    > Thanks
    > MJ

    What you are calling a blade is, I believe a chuck roast. This cut contains
    plenty of fat and will generally end up quite tender when braised for a
    proper amount of time.

    The sirloin has very little fat and due to that fact will usually end op
    both tough and "dry" in texture. Yes you could have done the sirloin in the
    crock pot. It would have been a little difficult to slice (depending on the
    size and shape). I would turn out better of cut into smaller pieces and
    cooked that way.

    Dimitri

  4. In article <5OU%[email protected]>, "MJ"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This may seem like stupid question but here it goes anyways..
    > I usually buy a blade roast and do it in the crockpot...but the store had
    > top sirloin roasts on sale so i bought one but i did it in the oven. It
    > turned out very dry..now the question is..could it of been done in the
    > crockpot also? I know there are different kinds of roasts like pot roasts
    > and oven roasts...but does it matter which ones you do in the crockpot?
    > Every roast i do in the crockpot comes out great and they are just a cheap
    > cut. So when i bought the better cut i was expecting alot better..anyways
    > does anyone have any input on this?
    > Thanks
    > MJ

    IME, sirloin tip roasts (dunno about a top sirloin roast - never heard
    of it) need to be roasted on the rare side of medium and sliced thinly
    to be enjoyed.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

  5. Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]>, if that's their real name,
    wrote:

    >IME, sirloin tip roasts (dunno about a top sirloin roast - never heard
    >of it) need to be roasted on the rare side of medium and sliced thinly
    >to be enjoyed.

    The only way I've had those was studded with slivers of fresh garlic and
    grilled outdoors. It's something my dad made a lot. It's been over ten
    years since I've made one. I'm thinking this might be a good time to
    change that.

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon!

  6. Joe Yudelson

    Joe Yudelson Guest

    Hi: The top sirloin does not have enough fat. Usually one uses bottom
    round in the crock pot.

    Joe
    "MJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5OU%[email protected]
    > This may seem like stupid question but here it goes anyways..
    > I usually buy a blade roast and do it in the crockpot...but the store had
    > top sirloin roasts on sale so i bought one but i did it in the oven. It
    > turned out very dry..now the question is..could it of been done in the
    > crockpot also? I know there are different kinds of roasts like pot roasts
    > and oven roasts...but does it matter which ones you do in the crockpot?
    > Every roast i do in the crockpot comes out great and they are just a cheap
    > cut. So when i bought the better cut i was expecting alot better..anyways
    > does anyone have any input on this?
    > Thanks
    > MJ

  7. Stark

    Stark Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This may seem like stupid question but here it goes anyways..
    > I usually buy a blade roast and do it in the crockpot...but the store had
    > top sirloin roasts on sale so i bought one but i did it in the oven. It
    > turned out very dry..now the question is..could it of been done in the
    > crockpot also? I know there are different kinds of roasts like pot roasts
    > and oven roasts...but does it matter which ones you do in the crockpot?
    > Every roast i do in the crockpot comes out great and they are just a cheap
    > cut. So when i bought the better cut i was expecting alot better..anyways
    > does anyone have any input on this?
    > Thanks
    > MJ

    Slow cooker should tenderize anything, but top sirloin is a less-fatty
    cut than blade, chuck, chuck-eye, english and other shoulder roasts.

  8. I think I would be tempted to add a little red wine to the mix.