Rob Hayles fails a blood test

He thinks the blood haematocrit test may be outdated and suspects that British riders record high levels as a result of the team's innovative nutritional and training practices.
umm, I haven't heard of new medical research suggesting that the body's "normal" hematocrit levels have suddenly changed recently, such that a hematocrit test might be "outdated". Even if they are riding clean (this is where thunder will start laughing hysterically at the possibility and PM me to say it couldn't possibly be true ;)... but hear me out), so if they're clean but their hematocrits have gone up because of "innovative nutritional and training practices" (altitude tents might fit in here as well), there's still good reason to have the "health check" in place as exactly that, a measure to ensure that riders don't have Hct's that are high enough to pose risks for clotting and other serious health consequences. You can't just say "but we got it that high through natural measures so it's ok and the tests don't matter" :rolleyes:. Silly coach...

(yes, I know that the "health checks" are in essence mainly trying to pick out dopers for which there is no actual positive doping test. But, I'm just pointing out that there is theoretically a medical need for such a test, and that even if the "innovative techniques" are entirely legal they still need to be making sure their riders aren't jeopardizing their health by having too many red blood cells around. )

Anticyclone said:
So what are they testing for then if nothing will show up?
what, was that rhetorical, or do I gotta answer that?

I don't know how well versed you are in doping anti, most folks here are well educated in the ins and outs.

It does not matter, we all gotta learn.

1. You can blood dope via numerous methods, and never test positive. You can use your own blood. You can use Dynepo, which is a mimick, it is actually human epo. You can use the original EPO if you can't get your hands on the good stuff, and micro-dose. If you macro dose, the window that is bandied about, is about 3 days. So, you just stay "offline" for three days, a the girlfriends house, or a mountains training camp.

2. Some other stuff like HGH and IGF-1 has also shown to increase hematocrit. Even testosterone. Testo shows up, the HGH/IGF-1 will not

So, he could have dosed near on one month ago, over a period of a week, to rise his 'crit by 5-10 gross points and just thought he would get to about 48ish or not get a 'crit check. Or he thought he would have reduced down by the time he got tested.

Anyway, don't believe that this was gonna show he was guilty. It was just for show. All the gear they take can either be masked, or has such a short half-life, that they can disappear off the radar for a couple of days, and it has flushed out of their system, that is the compounds that will be in the urine. But the effect on the body lasts and lasts and lasts. A most recent study has found EPO can have an effect two years hence. TWO FRICKEN YEARS. I would hesitate to attribute this as the common effect, and more study awaits to back it up, but the 'roids, hgh, and blood boosting effect will last months.

To me, what this incident shows is that at least a few if not all of the British track cyclists are on a dope program, and the behavior of Brailsford shows that this is either supported systematically, or at least condoned. Some clean team. :rolleyes:

Drongo said:
I don't understand that. Is this just about making sure that he doesn't race when he is over 50%? So he is not at risk of conviction for blood-tampering or blood-boosting or whatever?

Sorry... but when I saw he was 35 years old... it was hard to fight back the cynicism that he had much less to lose by boosting his haematocrit than if he was 22.

Crankyfeet said:
I don't understand that. Is this just about making sure that he doesn't race when he is over 50%? So he is not at risk of conviction for blood-tampering or blood-boosting or whatever?

Sorry... but when I saw he was 35 years old... it was hard to fight back the cynicism that he had much less to lose by boosting his haematocrit than if he was 22.

I thin this has always been the case. Having a hematocrit above 50 is not per se a doping violation. The two week suspension is for "health" reasons, and was instituted as an indirect way to fight EPO use before there was a test for it. There's no approved test for autologous blood transfusion, so unless he tests positive for EPO or homologous blood (and I don't know if they were even running that test, since few labs are doing it) there's nothing to base a doping violation on.

rob of the og said:
If you're interested Hayles himself (Killer) has been back posting on Veloriders, starting at 3rd message down:

http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?sid=1585d70571f1e0d5a2c9be8e76f72c2d&p=895605#895605
What I don't understand is the guy is 35 years old... and he talks like he is only now just finding out that he has a natural HCT that is high enough that he could possibly get a medical exemption from UCI like Cunego has. It smells like a dead animal to me. He has been competing internationally winning medals since 2000 and rode for Cofidis from 2001-2003, and he is giving it the "What?... Wow... I don't know what happened?" script. Autologous blood transfusions are impossible to detect.

Crankyfeet said:
What I don't understand is the guy is 35 years old... and he talks like he is only now just finding out that he has a natural HCT that is high enough that he could possibly get a medical exemption from UCI like Cunego has. It smells like a dead animal to me. He has been competing internationally winning medals since 2000 and rode for Cofidis from 2001-2003, and he is giving it the "What?... Wow... I don't know what happened?" script. Autologous blood transfusions are impossible to detect.
Correct. He may pout and fool the fanboys and the average Joe who doesn't know how screwed up pro-sports is, but he ain't fooling any of us. :cool: