Robbie Mac, back to his truculent best

earth_dweller said:
I wonder what would have been the response from folks here if Leipheimer or any Astana riders had done the same thing? I know, he would have been drawn and quartered in 2 seconds.
deservedly so too, Leipheimer is The Snivler, a no good wheelsucker who needs his transfusions to tt :D

earth_dweller said:
I wonder what would have been the response from folks here if Leipheimer or any Astana riders had done the same thing? I know, he would have been drawn and quartered in 2 seconds.
This site is totally objective and unprejudiced Edie... :mad:

There are nice respectable dopers, doping teams, and lying, cheating winners... and then there are deplorable dopers, doping teams, and lying, cheating winners.

Crankyfeet said:
This site is totally objective and unprejudiced Edie... :mad:

There are nice respectable dopers, doping teams, and lying, cheating winners... and then there are deplorable dopers, doping teams, and lying, cheating winners.
ha ha

got to say tho, that McEwen was an ass for saying that. And a race can throw out anyone they like, it's their party. But it's still just bike racing

C'dale Girl said:
I have an answer for you . . . was even going to type it out here yesterday, but decided not to bother . . .

But, I don't think you want to hear the answer . . .
come on C

thunder said:
come on C
You rag LA for such antics.

You worship McEwen for the same.

You hate Americans because you perceive them to be that way.

You laugh at ... <private> ... Does that mean you like him or hate him?

The DPF'rs accept such behavior as normal and comical of athletics generally . . .

H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y

I was going to point your hypocrisy out before you linked that thread, but decided it wasn't worth it in the end. ;)

C, it was worth it :D

thunder said:
C, it was worth it :D
You're so f'n predictible. I had a feeling you'd do that. See I tried to save face for YOU dipshit, by not calling you a hypocrit publicly. But, that's okay. There are others here who have elluded to it and now everyone can discuss it amongst themselves.

C'dale Girl said:
You're so f'n predictible. I had a feeling you'd do that. See I tried to save face for YOU dipshit, by not calling you a hypocrit publicly. But, that's okay. There are others here who have elluded to it and now everyone can discuss it amongst themselves.
diddums

limerickman said:
Hang your head in shame.

If you're a guest in another country, you don't go round shouting the odds.
Fact is McEwen's in the wrong on this occasion.

You're getting a little to precious about McEwen, to look at this matter objectively.
Lim, the guy is known to be a bit of a ***** off the bike, no one is making excuses for him.

His behaviour is a reflection of the man.

But let's separate the behaviour, and the rider. He rides better bellicose. :D

thunder said:
Lim, the guy is known to be a bit of a ***** off the bike, no one is making excuses for him.

Hahahahahahahaha

Cycling has always has a specific element of un-written but accepted protocols within the community.
As of late pro cycling has taken a devastating slide to the dark side. It is sad that it has to degrade to the point of other sports that have long since lost lost most of their etiquette and regard.
There have always been a few classless fans but for the most part the riders have maintained a degree of dicipline.
Just another sign of the decline of the sport ,I guess. :(

thunder said:

No one disputes that you can ride bellicose.
What is at issue is the comments made, off the bike, by McEwen to the race officials.

Plenty of examples of sprinters who were bellicose.......but I can't recall any sprinter telling race officials and an entire country to **** off.
I can't recall bellicose sprinters like Abdu or Kelly using abusive language about a country and it's officials.

Bit of objectivity.

limerickman said:
No one disputes that you can ride bellicose.
What is at issue is the comments made, off the bike, by McEwen to the race officials.

Plenty of examples of sprinters who were bellicose.......but I can't recall any sprinter telling race officials and an entire country to **** off.
I can't recall bellicose sprinters like Abdu or Kelly using abusive language about a country and it's officials.

Bit of objectivity.
I would be more concerned about Bettini's behaviour, and Zabel after 2002 when he won a stage of the Tour.

Now, re: Zabel, you had Mcewen almost doing the same thing, after winning the Paris Brussels semi-classic last year. Very similar. Big shove on a press corps member. That is less acceptable. A few words in the heat of the moment, less so.

Beat up folks.

thunder said:
I would be more concerned about Bettini's behaviour, and Zabel after 2002 when he won a stage of the Tour.

Now, re: Zabel, you had Mcewen almost doing the same thing, after winning the Paris Brussels semi-classic last year. Very similar. Big shove on a press corps member. That is less acceptable. A few words in the heat of the moment, less so.

Beat up folks.

I suggest that you read the comments in post one of this thread again (and remember you posted the first message on this thread).

Any objective person would not find the language used, or the sentiments expressed by McEwen, as anything other than being highly abusive.

I also note that no one here has tried to defend Zabel or Bettini in the matters that you refer to above.

Unlike your attempts to defend McEwen now.

limerickman said:
I suggest that you read the comments in post one of this thread again (and remember you posted the first message on this thread).

Any objective person would not find the language used, or the sentiments expressed by McEwen, as anything other than being highly abusive.

I also note that no one here has tried to defend Zabel or Bettini in the matters that you refer to above.

Unlike your attempts to defend McEwen now.
how can one be offended if Mcewen said "**** Switzerland".

It is risible. There is no basis for any pejorative view on Switzerland, it falls into the absurd category.

Now, if you wish to take Mcewen at his word, then you give credence to his words. But as far as I know, there is no basis for truth in what Mcewen said, just an angry man against the world.

Its absurd. Its risible. It reflects poorly on the person saying it. But if reflects poorly on all you soapbox clunkers that give it undue value. Its a throwaway line, treat it as such.

You don't have to like Mcewen. I say the guy rides better when he is fired up. This is a sign he is fired up.

Before we rush to judgment... Robbie can be rude. No argument about that. However we don't know how much of a ***** the official was. We must realise that reporters are looking for the bad-boy story and will frame any quote (even mis-quote) to make it sound as sensational as possible.

McEwen could have been as bad as the reports say. But the reporter is never going to "soften" the story. I've experienced grossly exaggerated stories like this...and you have little that one can do. McEwen nearing retirement makes him less tactful perhaps... but it also means reporters can burn him somewhat as well... because they have little to lose if the relationship goes sour.

Having said that... Cancellara is someone to be respected and if he says McEwen was out of line... then he probably was.