Robbie Mac, back to his truculent best

McEwen is a boofhead, no doubt about it, but I'm not always sure how to take him. I've heard stories from first hand witnesses about some pretty ordinary behaviour, similar to reported this week. On the other hand I have seen him present brilliantly in the Australian media. Fantastic interviewee, articulate, has a personality, professional. Miles better than O'Grady, who is farking hopeless (one example - bike overviews during the Tour - McEwen discussed different components, materials and features on his bike in informative laymans terms that didn't talk down to the viewer and enabled the aficionado to appreciate what he was saying. O'grady was like ' Here is my bike. It is white. Here are the wheels...") . From what I can gather McEwen presents the same in Belgium. He's great for a quote and v good on TV. And exciting to watch.

Me thinks thunder is winding you lot up actually, I don't think he reckons R Mc is a great bloke.

McEwens behaviour is pretty much typical boofhead sportsman behaviour, but its low end of the scale. If he's upsetting the likes of fairly recently ex-pros like Meier and Betchart by telling them to get farked they need to get over themselves. Wankers. Telling someone to get farked just doesn't rate compared to belting journos, throwing bidons during sprints, knocking blokes off delibrately, snorting coke, stealing blood off innocent cows and injecting it, putting teste patches on your balls before the Joux Plane stage, flashing your tackle at the chamber maid.......hang on, I remembered a well known Aussie sprinter doing that last one.

Crankyfeet said:
Before we rush to judgment... Robbie can be rude. No argument about that. However we don't know how much of a ***** the official was. We must realise that reporters are looking for the bad-boy story and will frame any quote (even mis-quote) to make it sound as sensational as possible.

McEwen could have been as bad as the reports say. But the reporter is never going to "soften" the story. I've experienced grossly exaggerated stories like this...and you have little that one can do. McEwen nearing retirement makes him less tactful perhaps... but it also means reporters can burn him somewhat as well... because they have little to lose if the relationship goes sour.

Having said that... Cancellara is someone to be respected and if he says McEwen was out of line... then he probably was.
beat up

thunder said:
how can one be offended if Mcewen said "**** Switzerland".

It is risible. There is no basis for any pejorative view on Switzerland, it falls into the absurd category.

Grammatically, you may have a point regarding MCEwens phrase above.

But McEwens sentiment and his intent are clear to any objective reader of what McEwen is reported to have said.

thunder said:
Now, if you wish to take Mcewen at his word, then you give credence to his words. But as far as I know, there is no basis for truth in what Mcewen said, just an angry man against the world.

I don't know McEwen personally and I have nothing against the guy.....but his comments are his words and they express a sentiment which, where I come from, is highly abusive and highly insulting.

McEwen may have been annoyed.
He may even have been livid - but that does not mitigate the words and sentiments he expressed about Switzerland or the race officials.
I don't care how angry a person may be - they have no right to use abusive language about a country or it's citizens, especially if that person is a guest of that nation.

thunder said:
Its absurd. Its risible. It reflects poorly on the person saying it. But if reflects poorly on all you soapbox clunkers that give it undue value. Its a throwaway line, treat it as such.

You don't have to like Mcewen. I say the guy rides better when he is fired up. This is a sign he is fired up.

You're the one who gives McEwens views, value.
You posted the message initially to make a point that McEwen must be back to form!!

As i said earlier - plenty of riders, bellicose curmdugeons like Kelly/Hinault etc
never to my knowledge expressed the sentiments and used the language attributed to McEwen.

limerickman said:
I suggest that you read the comments in post one of this thread again (and remember you posted the first message on this thread).

Any objective person would not find the language used, or the sentiments expressed by McEwen, as anything other than being highly abusive.

I also note that no one here has tried to defend Zabel or Bettini in the matters that you refer to above.

Unlike your attempts to defend McEwen now.
Now down here in Oz-straya we like to take things not so seriously, had you condsidered the possiblity that thunder was maybe just taking the **** or stirring the pot?

Or is your love of dodgy bank accounts, well tuned watches and cheese with holes so deeply offended that you can't see even a glimpse of humour in this tabloid beat up?

limerickman said:
Grammatically, you may have a point regarding MCEwens phrase above.

But McEwens sentiment and his intent are clear to any objective reader of what McEwen is reported to have said.

I don't know McEwen personally and I have nothing against the guy.....but his comments are his words and they express a sentiment which, where I come from, is highly abusive and highly insulting.

McEwen may have been annoyed.
He may even have been livid - but that does not mitigate the words and sentiments he expressed about Switzerland or the race officials.
I don't care how angry a person may be - they have no right to use abusive language about a country or it's citizens, especially if that person is a guest of that nation.

You're the one who gives McEwens views, value.
You posted the message initially to make a point that McEwen must be back to form!!

As i said earlier - plenty of riders, bellicose curmdugeons like Kelly/Hinault etc
never to my knowledge expressed the sentiments and used the language attributed to McEwen.
yeah, prolly cos they did not have any cnuts as race organisers who managed to seed a controversy in the newspaper.

Mcewen is back in form. Dont listen to what he has to say. Simple solution. I am not defending it, it does not need to be defended, but you also do not have to place undue weight in his words, unctuous, faux offence. Put it in perspective. The words mean nothing. If he is rude, the guy is not worthy of respect. But roll with it.

Seems everyone wants to put their hand up and decry his actions first.

[, flashing your tackle at the chamber maid.......

You consider this bad form? ;)

limerickman said:
May I suggest some salt with your next serve of media bias?;)

limerickman said:
I normally agree with your posts Lim, but this is just part of what would have be your worst post ever. Hinault used to just thump people and yell. I can remeber Kelly a few times giving people a mouthful ( calling vanderaerden a salaud after a Tour stage finish in front of journos and dignitaries) and knocking blokes off with his dangerous sprinting.. I think I'd rather be told to get farked myself. :rolleyes:

Jono L said:
Now down here in Oz-straya we like to take things not so seriously, had you condsidered the possiblity that thunder was maybe just taking the **** or stirring the pot?

Maybe Thunder is taking the ****.

Riders can and do lose their temper ..........it happens in all walks of life.

Doesn't mean that one condones the actions or sentiments.

Jono L said:
Or is your love of dodgy bank accounts, well tuned watches and cheese with holes so deeply offended that you can't see even a glimpse of humour in this tabloid beat up?

The sentiments expressed weren't humourous, Jono.

Notwithstanding dodgy bank accounts etc - McEwen has been in many different parts of Europe for several years and I'm sure he is smart enough to know what is and isn't humourous in a given country.

I would suggest that mcEwen probably regrets making the comments - in the cold light of day.

i didnt notice it being mentioned here that Robbie said he didnt offend Switzerland and loves switzerland. The report also said the alleged outburst was directed at Betschart not at switzerland and i dont think its such a big deal to tell someone to **** off when youre on the phone conducting an interview or whatever. In fact what if the phone call was bad news from home, should we start a thread about the rudeness of being interuppted during a conversation.

And lastly the word **** has become so common place in Oz that it is more of an adjective than anything and you would struggle to be able to use it in a offesive language charge. I imagine the same de-valuation of the word has occured in many countries (Lim)

limerickman said:
Maybe Thunder is taking the ****.

Riders can and do lose their temper ..........it happens in all walks of life.

Doesn't mean that one condones the actions or sentiments.

The sentiments expressed weren't humourous, Jono.

Notwithstanding dodgy bank accounts etc - McEwen has been in many different parts of Europe for several years and I'm sure he is smart enough to know what is and isn't humourous in a given country.

I would suggest that mcEwen probably regrets making the comments - in the cold light of day.
No what robbie said wasn't humourous but you seem to be taking thunders little **** take to heart....

hoggy said:
i didnt notice it being mentioned here that Robbie said he didnt offend Switzerland and loves switzerland. The report also said the alleged outburst was directed at Betschart not at switzerland and i dont think its such a big deal to tell someone to **** off when youre on the phone conducting an interview or whatever. In fact what if the phone call was bad news from home, should we start a thread about the rudeness of being interuppted during a conversation.

The report said that McEwens telephone call, was in fact an interview that he was conducting on his mobile phone.
Therefore I think that it is fair to suggest that the telephone call wasn't "bad news".

McEwens outburst and the sentiments he expressed were quite clear.
He insulted the race official and he made a disparaging remark directed at
Switzerland.
The language he used to express those sentiments/remarks only added miore insult to injury I would offer.

With regard to your point about using swear words in the vernacular - that may be acceptable in many countries.
Indeed it is becoming more widespread here.
That doesn't make the use of the vernacular correct or right.

classic1 said:
McEwen is a boofhead, no doubt about it, but I'm not always sure how to take him. I've heard stories from first hand witnesses about some pretty ordinary behaviour, similar to reported this week. On the other hand I have seen him present brilliantly in the Australian media. Fantastic interviewee, articulate, has a personality, professional. Miles better than O'Grady, who is farking hopeless (one example - bike overviews during the Tour - McEwen discussed different components, materials and features on his bike in informative laymans terms that didn't talk down to the viewer and enabled the aficionado to appreciate what he was saying. O'grady was like ' Here is my bike. It is white. Here are the wheels...") . From what I can gather McEwen presents the same in Belgium. He's great for a quote and v good on TV. And exciting to watch.

Me thinks thunder is winding you lot up actually, I don't think he reckons R Mc is a great bloke.

McEwens behaviour is pretty much typical boofhead sportsman behaviour, but its low end of the scale. If he's upsetting the likes of fairly recently ex-pros like Meier and Betchart by telling them to get farked they need to get over themselves. Wankers. Telling someone to get farked just doesn't rate compared to belting journos, throwing bidons during sprints, knocking blokes off delibrately, snorting coke, stealing blood off innocent cows and injecting it, putting teste patches on your balls before the Joux Plane stage, flashing your tackle at the chamber maid.......hang on, I remembered a well known Aussie sprinter doing that last one.
Mcewen is one of the best media performers. Speaks his pidgin Italian to the Italians, his competent French to the French, and his best expletives to the Swiss.

Really is the best media performer in the peloton. That does not excuse his behaviour. But when there is fight in the little guy, he goes well. Mcewen is also not without riding guys into barriers, I think Fabrizio Guidi circa 1998 was one, Guidi spent a night in hospital and the Italian mafia led by a young Alessandro Petacchi wanted to cut up. Petacchi was riding for Guidi then.

He is a tough sprinter.

His behaviour speaks for itself. He is not on his lonesome, no one has to act as his apologist. My thesis is, there is fight in the old dog, and that is a good thing. On the road. Who am I to tell him to bite his tongue. Thats for the clunkers to teach to the public school boys of Eton with proper standards od etiquette.

We luv him cos he wins on the bike, it is easy to separate the person and the rider. Just like Armstrong, a right royal *****, but a phenomenal rider.

thunder said:
We luv him cos he wins on the bike, it is easy to separate the person and the rider. Just like Armstrong, a right royal *****, but a phenomenal rider.
So, you luv Armstrong?? :p

Just want to put on record - that I do respect McEwen's ability on the bike.
he's a superb sprinter

limerickman said:
Just want to put on record - that I do respect McEwen's ability on the bike.
he's a superb sprinter
He's not a true aussie sprinter till he splits up with his wife, stalks her, then beats up one of his best mates while on an all night bender.

Jono L said:
He's not a true aussie sprinter till he splits up with his wife, stalks her, then beats up one of his best mates while on an all night bender.
dont forget pisses in the dom perignon

How unusual is it for Robbie to win two stages in a row? I thought he liked to recover the legs a bit in his old age after a good lactic acid burn.

He obviously needs to be ****** off a bit to get motivated. All he needs is for some competitor to say that he is "over the hill" before the TdF and he might be wearing green again... given Tommeke's absence and Cavendish's unlikely ability to get over the mountains within time.

At the tail end of one's career, it's psychological motivation, more than anything else, that causes retirement for professional sportspeople, IMHO. When you get out of bed not looking forward to the day's work... you know it's near the end. But a good argument.. or chance to prove people wrong... can re-ignite the embers.