Robbie McEwen and tour ethics

bananabrain

Nov 7, 2005
I just caught the dying seconds of an interview with McEwen in which he said "They needed a ****, not me. They have to understand the tactics".

It sounded like he'd shot ahead during a "comfort break" during stage 12 and invoked the wrath of the peloton. I can't see mention of this incident in the forums - does anyone know anything about it, and if so, what are your views?

bananabrain said:
I just caught the dying seconds of an interview with McEwen in which he said "They needed a ****, not me. They have to understand the tactics".

It sounded like he'd shot ahead during a "comfort break" during stage 12 and invoked the wrath of the peloton. I can't see mention of this incident in the forums - does anyone know anything about it, and if so, what are your views?
McEwen attacked to try bridging up the Freire group just as ugly man Landis decided the peloton should have a ****. This presumably annoyed a few riders, which was probably evidenced when Landis then refused to get his team to chase down Freire's group. Chris Boardman reckons McEwen should've just waited until after the toilet break, and some teams might've been more willing then.

A real shame though, as we could've witnessed Boonen/McEwen/Freire and maybe some other sprinters up int he lead group fighting for points, in a similar manner to Zabel/Freire/O'Grady in the 2004 (I think?) Vuelta :D.

Dead Star said:
McEwen attacked to try bridging up the Freire group just as ugly man Landis decided the peloton should have a ****. This presumably annoyed a few riders, which was probably evidenced when Landis then refused to get his team to chase down Freire's group. Chris Boardman reckons McEwen should've just waited until after the toilet break, and some teams might've been more willing then.

A real shame though, as we could've witnessed Boonen/McEwen/Freire and maybe some other sprinters up int he lead group fighting for points, in a similar manner to Zabel/Freire/O'Grady in the 2004 (I think?) Vuelta :D.
Well, Popo and Disco can thank Robbie for his excellent timing :)