Robert Millar

wicklow200

May 12, 2005
Anyone know what Robert Millar , the Scottish cycling star from the 80's, is doing these days?

He definitely is reclusive, if my basic search on the internet is anything to go by.

Millar did some coaching a few years back after he finished in the professional ranks at Le Groupment (the team went bust in 1995) and he used to write some bike product reviews with Cycling Sport and ProCycling as well.

But I haven't heard anything about him and cycling since.

Great rider though - the best British rider ever, I say.

limerickman said:
Millar did some coaching a few years back after he finished in the professional ranks at Le Groupment (the team went bust in 1995) and he used to write some bike product reviews with Cycling Sport and ProCycling as well.

I was lucky enough to go on a training camp with him one year down in Carlow. Was a sort of early season training camp for about 30 riders organised by the ICF.

I have to agree with you limerickman...he was quite the cyclist, and having met him and cycled with him for the weekend I have to add that he was quite the person too...really helpful and insightful! I'll never forget that.

littlefitzer.

littlefitzer said:
I was lucky enough to go on a training camp with him one year down in Carlow. Was a sort of early season training camp for about 30 riders organised by the ICF.

I have to agree with you limerickman...he was quite the cyclist, and having met him and cycled with him for the weekend I have to add that he was quite the person too...really helpful and insightful! I'll never forget that.

littlefitzer.

I seem to remeber Paul Sherwen being asked about Millar during the TDF and he said something like "he appears to have fallen off the face of the earth"

I hope he's enjoying life, he was a pleasure.

Don't mark this as fact, but I want to say I heard something about him living in the hills in Scotland as a bit of a recluse.

I have heard that he has undergone a sex change operation and is now a woman.

Good luck to him if this is true. Sorry if not. I've heard it in many places, but never had it verified. Does anyone know?

limerickman said:

I agree. And quite a character, too.

Well, if thats true, then good luck to him as you said.

But its another element to add to the mystique

There's definitely a good book to be written on his life so far.

GordoKX250 said:
I have heard that he has undergone a sex change operation and is now a woman.

Good luck to him if this is true. Sorry if not. I've heard it in many places, but never had it verified. Does anyone know?