Roberto Heras SUSPENDED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former Kelme pro Jesus Manzano, one rider who did speak out about doping within the sport back in March 2004, is interviewed by AS today, and says that he is not at all surprised about the news of Heras’s positive test. “I’m not shocked that they are saying Roberto is positive, and I wouldn’t be if it was any other rider,” Manzano tells AS. “What is clear is that it is not just Roberto doing this. Why aren’t the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth-placed riders speaking out? This is a world of hypocrites… and the level of hypocrisy means that I’m not upset by what is happening.”

Manzano reveals that he learned the news about Heras a few days before it came out in the media from “someone who has a close link with the
Liberty team”. To a large extent, Manzano feels that the latest news vindicates what he said back in 2004. “They said that I was a rotten apple, but I now believe that the whole tree is rotten. And cleaning all this up will be very difficult because we’re not just talking about Roberto. Let others speak out as well,” he says.

Manzano makes reference to
Liberty having to withdraw two riders from major events earlier this year when they were found to be above the permitted haematocrit level of 50%. “When you train a lot your haematocrit goes down, so how is it possible for someone to go to the Dauphiné or the Giro with a level of 52%?” he asks. “How do they get it up to this level? With EPO. But it’s the UCI’s fault.”

Why is this Manzano is asked? “Because they could sort it out very easily. They could take that cyclist to
Lausanne, get him to spend a year training and see what happens. He won’t end up at 52%, but at 38%. He won’t even be able to get out of bed. But it’s all a farce. The only ones who are getting rich are some of the doctors, and not the cyclists. Heras earns good money, but others don’t earn anything like as much. I have a witness who said that one doctor was asking for six million pesetas (£30,000) to use his preparation methods. Will they be asking for six million for just aspirin and mineral salts?”

Asked if he was surprised by the positive test given by another former team-mate and Vuelta winner, Aitor Gonzalez, Manzano responds: “Do you really think that you can win the Vuelta with a bar of chocolate and a loaf of bread? … The tree is rotten, right down to its roots.”

Manzano also speaks about his own life with wife Marina and one-year-old daughter Marina, saying things are going well for him despite the loss of his job in construction which has left him claiming unemployment benefit for the past five months. He adds that he has hung up for bike for good, explaining: “I would like to go out on my mountain bike, but my knee problems stop me. The cortisone injections I had there are taking their toll.”

whiteboytrash said:
Former Kelme pro Jesus Manzano, one rider who did speak out about doping within the sport back in March 2004, is interviewed by AS today, and says that he is not at all surprised about the news of Heras’s positive test. “I’m not shocked that they are saying Roberto is positive, and I wouldn’t be if it was any other rider,” Manzano tells AS. “What is clear is that it is not just Roberto doing this. Why aren’t the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth-placed riders speaking out? This is a world of hypocrites… and the level of hypocrisy means that I’m not upset by what is happening.”

Manzano reveals that he learned the news about Heras a few days before it came out in the media from “someone who has a close link with the
Liberty team”. To a large extent, Manzano feels that the latest news vindicates what he said back in 2004. “They said that I was a rotten apple, but I now believe that the whole tree is rotten. And cleaning all this up will be very difficult because we’re not just talking about Roberto. Let others speak out as well,” he says.

Manzano makes reference to
Liberty having to withdraw two riders from major events earlier this year when they were found to be above the permitted haematocrit level of 50%. “When you train a lot your haematocrit goes down, so how is it possible for someone to go to the Dauphiné or the Giro with a level of 52%?” he asks. “How do they get it up to this level? With EPO. But it’s the UCI’s fault.”

Why is this Manzano is asked? “Because they could sort it out very easily. They could take that cyclist to
Lausanne, get him to spend a year training and see what happens. He won’t end up at 52%, but at 38%. He won’t even be able to get out of bed. But it’s all a farce. The only ones who are getting rich are some of the doctors, and not the cyclists. Heras earns good money, but others don’t earn anything like as much. I have a witness who said that one doctor was asking for six million pesetas (£30,000) to use his preparation methods. Will they be asking for six million for just aspirin and mineral salts?”

Asked if he was surprised by the positive test given by another former team-mate and Vuelta winner, Aitor Gonzalez, Manzano responds: “Do you really think that you can win the Vuelta with a bar of chocolate and a loaf of bread? … The tree is rotten, right down to its roots.”

Manzano also speaks about his own life with wife Marina and one-year-old daughter Marina, saying things are going well for him despite the loss of his job in construction which has left him claiming unemployment benefit for the past five months. He adds that he has hung up for bike for good, explaining: “I would like to go out on my mountain bike, but my knee problems stop me. The cortisone injections I had there are taking their toll.”

Thanks for posting this WBT : Jesus Manzano was caught in the Kelme debacle.

His comments are very interesting.
I thought that he got a contract with Amore e Vita (they have a non-doping policy at the team).
I wasn't aware that he was unemployed.

limerickman said:
Thanks for posting this WBT : Jesus Manzano was caught in the Kelme debacle.

His comments are very interesting.
I thought that he got a contract with Amore e Vita (they have a non-doping policy at the team).
I wasn't aware that he was unemployed.
He did get a contract with AV after being blessed and pardoned by the Pope ! Unfortunately his knee was completely farked as Kelme forced him to keep riding by giving him cortisone injections even thou he had tendonitis...

I read one of his stories where he was having his own blood transfused back into his body for a stage of the 2003 Tour de France but there was a mix up with the blood satchels and he was given someone else’s blood ! This is the stage where he passed out on his bike and fell off by the road side not knowing who he was…… the team announced that it was heat exhaustion...... Manzano knew exactly what happened. This scare made him go public…

whiteboytrash said:
He did get a contract with AV after being blessed and pardoned by the Pope ! Unfortunately his knee was completely farked as Kelme forced him to keep riding by giving him cortisone injections even thou he had tendonitis...

I read one of his stories where he was having his own blood transfused back into his body for a stage of the 2003 Tour de France but there was a mix up with the blood satchels and he was given someone else’s blood ! This is the stage where he passed out on his bike and fell off by the road side not knowing who he was…… the team announced that it was heat exhaustion...... Manzano knew exactly what happened. This scare made him go public…

That's correct - I remember reading the interview with him in CS when he explained that the doctors were transfusing blood - with unlabelled
containers !
Not only is this unethical but it's bloody dangerous..

Well, Heras has put his foot in it, he's gone and claimed that cycling is a clean sport. Not a good move in my opinion. Unless of course he is vindicated by the triple test on his secondary sample next month.

limerickman said:
That's correct - I remember reading the interview with him in CS when he explained that the doctors were transfusing blood - with unlabelled
containers !
Not only is this unethical but it's bloody dangerous.
Yes it is. Some got really sick of it, an allergic shock... some can ride after a few days again, some died...

limerickman said:
..........and I tipped this man as a possible winner of the 2006 TDF !

This news is a very big surprise - Heras would be regarded as one of the sports leading figures and now it appears that he too has been cheating.

This story is bigger than Hamilton/Millar combined.

If I recall Saiz (Liberty DS) as DS at ONCE claimed that there was no doping in cycling in the immediate aftermathy of Festina (see Cycle Sport August 1998 edition).
ewewe

Status
Not open for further replies.