Robin Hood Bicycle, 3x3 hub

Dan Burkhart

New Member
Nov 27, 2003
I had a fella tell me the other day that when he was a kid back in the 50s, he had a Robin Hood bike, and he tells me it had a 3 speed hub with three sprockets mounted on it. Sounds like it may have been a fore runner of the Sachs, er, pardon moi, Sram dual drive.
I did a google on Robin Hood, and came up with a story about one of Sheldon Brown's old bikes, but no mention of such a drive hub.
Anyone ever encounter such a thing, or could it be his memory is faulty?
Dan

Dear Dan & list:

There was a wonderful old book called "The Boy Mechanic" that had lots
of elaborate projects boys could make, including live steam engines,
crystal radios, Central Park Basin-type model yachts, and a 9-speed
conversion for 3-speed hubs. It involved making up a 3-speed cluster
to mount on the hub and rigging up a Simplex derailleur.

Nobody I knew had the tools and money to do any of those things, of
course.

later

jn

"Thursday"

On 5 Aug 2005 21:10:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Dear Dan & list:
>
>There was a wonderful old book called "The Boy Mechanic" that had lots
>of elaborate projects boys could make, including live steam engines,
>crystal radios, Central Park Basin-type model yachts, and a 9-speed
>conversion for 3-speed hubs. It involved making up a 3-speed cluster
>to mount on the hub and rigging up a Simplex derailleur.
>
>Nobody I knew had the tools and money to do any of those things, of
>course.
>
>later
>
>jn
>
>"Thursday"

Dear T.,

Regrettably, even single used volumes of the 3-volume "Boy
Mechanic" sell for outlandish prices:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?a...ew_used=*&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

Reprints are fairly pricy, too:

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/boymechanic.html

But you can read the text online for free:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/12655

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2005 21:10:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Dear Dan & list:
>>
>>There was a wonderful old book called "The Boy Mechanic" that had lots
>>of elaborate projects boys could make, including live steam engines,
>>crystal radios, Central Park Basin-type model yachts, and a 9-speed
>>conversion for 3-speed hubs. It involved making up a 3-speed cluster
>>to mount on the hub and rigging up a Simplex derailleur.
>>
>>Nobody I knew had the tools and money to do any of those things, of
>>course.
>>
>>later
>>
>>jn
>>
>>"Thursday"

> Dear T.,
>
> Regrettably, even single used volumes of the 3-volume "Boy
> Mechanic" sell for outlandish prices:
>
> http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?a...ew_used=*&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr
>
> Reprints are fairly pricy, too:
>
> http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/boymechanic.html
>
> But you can read the text online for free:
>
> http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/12655
>
> Carl Fogel

Not that expensive
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32453&cat=1,46096,46100&ap=3
and
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/boymech/index.html
this looks like fun(?) too
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks8/mbic/index.html

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:23:15 GMT, Bob Yates
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> On 5 Aug 2005 21:10:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>

>>>Dear Dan & list:
>>>
>>>There was a wonderful old book called "The Boy Mechanic" that had lots
>>>of elaborate projects boys could make, including live steam engines,
>>>crystal radios, Central Park Basin-type model yachts, and a 9-speed
>>>conversion for 3-speed hubs. It involved making up a 3-speed cluster
>>>to mount on the hub and rigging up a Simplex derailleur.
>>>
>>>Nobody I knew had the tools and money to do any of those things, of
>>>course.
>>>
>>>later
>>>
>>>jn
>>>
>>>"Thursday"

>> Dear T.,
>>
>> Regrettably, even single used volumes of the 3-volume "Boy
>> Mechanic" sell for outlandish prices:
>>
>> http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?a...ew_used=*&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr
>>
>> Reprints are fairly pricy, too:
>>
>> http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/boymechanic.html
>>
>> But you can read the text online for free:
>>
>> http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/12655
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>Not that expensive
>http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32453&cat=1,46096,46100&ap=3
>and
>http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/boymech/index.html
>this looks like fun(?) too
>http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks8/mbic/index.html

Dear Bob,

We may disagree about $18 plus shipping for a reprint of an
eighty-year-old book for boys.

Of course, I'm still scowling at blood-sucking booksellers
who expect me to pay more than 45 cents for a new paperback,
the normal price when I first began buying more books than
was good for me.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> Dear Bob,
>
> We may disagree about $18 plus shipping for a reprint of an
> eighty-year-old book for boys.
>
> Of course, I'm still scowling at blood-sucking booksellers
> who expect me to pay more than 45 cents for a new paperback,
> the normal price when I first began buying more books than
> was good for me.
>
> Carl Fogel

You're still young, you'll get used to it :^)
Besides considering inflation they are still about 45 cents. I remember
when I was making $80 a month, different perspective than many on this list.

Well, I have such a hub sitting on my porch waiting for me to decide
what to do with it...

Some hubs had threaded drivers that took either a threaded cog or some
freewheels.