rock hopping

cge

Sep 14, 2004
I ride mostly off road and find myself descending rocky down hills;mainly loose rocks/ boulders.
Do you have any tips that would assist me to jump some rocks and any other down hill advice to smooth out the descent and make me quicker
cge:p

cge said:
I ride mostly off road and find myself descending rocky down hills;mainly loose rocks/ boulders.
Do you have any tips that would assist me to jump some rocks and any other down hill advice to smooth out the descent and make me quicker
cge:p
Keep your weight back and low, drop your seat and get behind it, keep the front end light, easy on the front brakes, modulate the rear and try not to lock them, and remember you will most likely track through the line you are looking at, so if there is a big rock and you stare at it instead of the path you want to avoid it you will probably run right into it...
--hope that helps

Agreed with Socalfeltrider. In addition, a well placed bunny hop from time to time to clear the larger rocks will smooth out the ride. When in doubt air it out.:cool:

I gotta a trail near me that has similar conditions, and I have 3 tips, when theres loos rocks, full suspension or not, stand up. Second, dont even try to pedal, itll just throw you a little more off balance, and thirdly, as someone else mentioned, hit both brakes back harder, but dont lock up either tire. Hope that helps, good luck!