Rock Racing shop, gives Assos a run for their money

Nothing earth-shattering here to me.
People will spend $7000+ on a Cervelo, Specialized, Colnago, Pinarello, etc...bike.
People will spend $400+ on Sidi shoes.
People will spend $2000+ on Zipp wheels.

I think you get my point...

azdroptop said:
Man those are some ugly kit's.
I like their kits. I could do without their adolescent skull logo, but overall it is a design that stands out. It is also interesting that they frequently make variations for different races. The Quinghai Lake kit featured pinkish dragons wrapped around it. For a team sponsored by a fashion company, this seems like a good idea.

The prices are high, especially if they are not made by a primo company like Assos. They are double and approaching triple what you pay for most other pro team clothing.

Bro Deal said:
The prices are high, especially if they are not made by a primo company like Assos. They are double and approaching triple what you pay for most other pro team clothing.
Premium pricing as a marketing strategy worked in his jeans business... probably why he is using it here. It is slightly paradoxical that they market themselves as a street-kid rebel brand... to middle class yuppy types... but it worked. I guess the lesson is that you market to the image people want to have of themselves... not who/what they are.

Crankyfeet said:
Premium pricing as a marketing strategy worked in his jeans business... probably why he is using it here. It is slightly paradoxical that they market themselves as a street-kid rebel brand... to middle class yuppy types... but it worked. I guess the lesson is that you market to the image people want to have of themselves... not who/what they are.
Cranky do you think they will move many units at 250 a jersey?

Ofcourse if their margins are quadruple they only have to move a quarter of the product.

thunder said:
Cranky do you think they will move many units at 250 a jersey?

Ofcourse if their margins are quadruple they only have to move a quarter of the product.
I have a feeling that their aim my not be to move jerseys.. it may be to project and protect brand image. Whatever happens with team jersey sales... it is insignificant compared to his Rock and Republic clothing line sales.

I think the designs and pricing further separate them from the pack/peloton and gives them that elite cool image. The value is in the image... not the cost of materials.

Crankyfeet said:
I have a feeling that their aim my not be to move jerseys.. it may be to project and protect brand image. Whatever happens with team jersey sales... it is insignificant compared to his Rock and Republic clothing line sales. I think it further separates them from the pack/peloton and gives them that elite cool image. The value is in the image... not the cost of materials.
I think you are incorrect. I think he has divested the line, into a seperate unit. And the Rock Racing is going to become a seperate sportswear and leisurewear business. The brand was changed for this purpose, and the racing stripes have no aesthetic cousin or relationship with the jeans branding.

Cranky, Adidas gave 1 million US per to TMobile for the rights to move their jerseys, and Mapei were on 1 million also for their jersey rights and kit provision.

Lots of money in kit.

So, if Rock are on a budget of 3.5 million, he might be able to get most of it back in revenue for team paraphenalia. Then it is exposure cream for the jeans line. Plus building brand equity to expand into the leisurewear, Polo Sport (Ralph Lauren).

If you look at the Polo Sport logo, it is not far divergent from the Rock Racing logo.

thunder said:
I think you are incorrect. I think he has divested the line, into a seperate unit. And the Rock Racing is going to become a seperate sportswear and leisurewear business. The brand was changed for this purpose, and the racing stripes have no aesthetic cousin or relationship with the jeans branding.

Cranky, Adidas gave 1 million US per to TMobile for the rights to move their jerseys, and Mapei were on 1 million also for their jersey rights and kit provision.

Lots of money in kit.

So, if Rock are on a budget of 3.5 million, he might be able to get most of it back in revenue for team paraphenalia. Then it is exposure cream for the jeans line. Plus building brand equity to expand into the leisurewear, Polo Sport (Ralph Lauren).

If you look at the Polo Sport logo, it is not far divergent from the Rock Racing logo.
Point taken on the team kit sales.

If he is trying to market his team and it's jersey as cool and exclusive... I don't think he will do too badly with his pricing strategy. Most of the guys in the US that ride around in team kits are the guys that may now have to have one of these outfits and can afford it. If it was $75... they might be less motivated ironically. The young guys belong to clubs and ride around in their club kit. The pro kit riders are typically non-club riders who are older and can also afford expensive bikes.

Crankyfeet said:
Point taken on the team kit sales.

If he is trying to market his team and it's jersey as cool and exclusive... I don't think he will do too badly with his pricing strategy. Most of the guys in the US that ride around in team kits are the guys that may now have to have one of these outfits and can afford it. If it was $75... they might be less motivated ironically. The young guys belong to clubs and ride around in their club kit. The pro kit riders are typically non-club riders who are older and can also afford expensive bikes.
but are fat cnuts gonna wear Rock kits?

I am not sure if the only distribution is via their website also. Getting the retail margin there. Should be close to 220US in margin from each jersey.

thunder said:
but are fat cnuts gonna wear Rock kits?

I am not sure if the only distribution is via their website also. Getting the retail margin there. Should be close to 220US in margin from each jersey.
The design is very flattering for those who are lean-muscle challenged...
tongue.gif

What better as a fatso than to show you don't care that you're fat on your bike... cause you are wearing this pirate rebel costume.

BTW, I've already seen knock-offs floating around on the net at <$50.00 for the jersey and <$60.00 for the bib shorts...

Nothing says I'm an ignorant, insular, idiotic SoCal-esque caricature like RR and those kits.