Rock shock quadra 21R

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jocraig43, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. Jocraig43

    Jocraig43 Guest

    Where can I find elastomers or upgrade kit for Quadra 21R shock?

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    The Quadra 21 is a fairly obsolete fork. It was actually pretty good, IMHO, in its day. Cheap,
    durable. But now, especially since Rock Shox disarray of late, I think you'll find difficulty
    getting uprade kits for it. You can try Mountain Speed. They used to have coil spring upgrades but
    since the 21R had no damping, it's probably going to be a springy ride. Also Eglund might have an
    air cartridge kit for it. You know though, for not much money, you can get a Judy or Marzocchi with
    oil bath damping and steel coils. Believe me, they are a world better than the old Quadra 21R.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Jocraig43" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Where can I find elastomers or upgrade kit for Quadra 21R shock?

  3. On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:38:15 +0000, Jocraig43 did issue forth:

    > Where can I find elastomers or upgrade kit for Quadra 21R shock?

    I believe Tim Flooks keeps a stock of obsolete RS parts. Try getting in touch with him:

    http://www.tftunedshox.com/frames1.html

    He managed to sort a friend out with some bushes for his Quadra 21.

    Also, if the elastomers have lost their spring, this can be restored temporarily by boiling them.

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    S. Anderson wrote:

    > The Quadra 21 is a fairly obsolete fork. It was actually pretty good, IMHO, in its day. Cheap,
    > durable. But now, especially since Rock Shox disarray of late, I think you'll find difficulty
    > getting uprade kits for it. You can try Mountain Speed. They used to have coil spring upgrades
    > but since the 21R had no damping, it's probably going to be a springy ride. Also Eglund might
    > have an air cartridge kit for it. You know though, for not much money, you can get a Judy or
    > Marzocchi with oil bath damping and steel coils. Believe me, they are a world better than the old
    > Quadra 21R.

    List price for a replacement bumper set was about $25, IIRC. Rockshox did a booming business in
    these, because they wore out ridiculously quickly, and were ridiculously overpriced. I'm sure
    they cost pennies to make, too. This was a better business model than Gillette's $1.50 razor
    blades, at least until riders started to get pissed off, and bought aftermarket upgrade kits for
    $200 to save money.

    Indeed, I would not put coil springs in a Q21R because of the lack of damping. However, somebody did
    make a coil-in-elastomer thing that supposedly worked pretty well, and didn't wear out. I forget the
    name, though.

    Englund Total Air cartridges are neat, but they cost like $90.

    The bottom line is that you can get a newer, better fork for much less than that, new or used. I've
    seem brand new, OEM-takeoff Judy XCs on ebay for $50. Another excellent and cheap fork is a Manitou
    SX -- look for Manitous with "TPC." Any of these forks is better than a Q21R. They have fatter tubes
    and wider-spaced bushings, for more stiffness and better steering precision. They're far better
    sealed, for less maintenance. Of course, they have better damping.

    Time for an upgrade!

    Matt O.