Rock Shox Duke vs. Manitou Black

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Anders, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Anders

    Anders Guest

    HI

    Which one of these forks is the best one?:

    Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs. Manitou Black Elite RTWD
    2004

    The Duke is on this one: http://www.bike-
    discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
    ikelID=7112&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1=1

    And the Manitou is on this one: http://www.bike-
    discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
    ikelID=6985&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1=1

    Sincerely Anders

    Tags:

  2. Ken in KC

    Ken in KC New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    What are you looking for in a fork? Lighter weight? Stiffness? Adjustability? Great Customer Service? Color? Price? What type of riding will you do?

    The "best one" will vary depending what you're looking for out of the fork.

    Ken

  3. Anders

    Anders Guest

    > > HI
    > > Which one of these forks is the best one?:
    > > Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs. Manitou Black Elite RTWD 2004
    > > The Duke is on this one: http://www.bike-/http://www.bike-
    discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
    > > ikelID=7112&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1=1
    > > And the Manitou is on this one: http://www.bike-/http://www.bike-
    discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
    > > ikelID=6985&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1=1
    > > Sincerely Anders
    >

    > What are you looking for in a fork? Lighter weight?
    > Stiffness? Adjustability? Great Customer Service? Color?
    > Price? What type of riding will you do?
    >
    > The "best one" will vary depending what you're looking for
    > out of the fork.

    Hi

    I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break
    after ½ year, a fork that can withstand rough driving in the
    forrest. A fork that is easy to service. But the main thing
    is that the fork is a quality fork!

    /Anders

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:47:12 +0100, Anders wrote:

    > I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break
    > after ½ year, a fork that can withstand rough driving in
    > the forrest. A fork that is easy to service. But the main
    > thing is that the fork is a quality fork!

    Hmm, maybe look elsewhere (?)

    The Duke is an ok fork, but not great by any stretch of the
    imagination. And the Black is probably worse.

    At that price point, go for a Marzocchi.

  5. Ken in KC

    Ken in KC New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    OK, based on your criteria, I offer the following comments based on my personal experience:

    Manitou: Not very durable with horrible customer service. My fork broke, they basically told me tough **** and have a nice day. My friends fork broke (exactly the same model, broke in exactly the same place) and they replaced his within a couple of days.

    The difference? My friend crashed and broke ribs as a result of his failure, while I did not. I guess if you have a potential legal claim against them, you get an upgraded fork.

    Rock Shox: I've had good luck with them, but their products are extremely flexy for me. I've heard horror stories about them as well, but I've never had a problem with their products (other than the flex).

    I second Bomba's reccomendation for Marzocchi. I've ridden two of their forks. The first was a Z1. There were some problems with it, but Marzocchi fixed them without question and without running me through the wringer.

    The second is a Marathon SL (Air fork) that I'm currently riding. I've only had it for 3 months, but it seems stiff, durable and is easy to adjust.

    Hope this helps.

    Ken

  6. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Anders wrote: <snip>

    > I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break
    > after ½ year, a fork that can withstand rough driving in
    > the forrest. A fork that is easy to service. But the main
    > thing is that the fork is a quality fork!
    >
    > /Anders

    I have a 2001 Black Elite Air 80 mm and I love it. Stiff,
    smooth, and plush. Never had a problem and I don't know
    about servicing because I've only had to squirt a little
    microlube in it and that's all the service I've done.

    Never had a Duke, but I think I heard they were crap from
    someone here. You might want to search for it.

    Matt

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Anders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > HI
    >
    > Which one of these forks is the best one?:
    >
    > Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs. Manitou Black Elite
    > RTWD 2004
    >
    > Sincerely Anders

    I've had both, more or less - an '03 Duke SL 80mm, and an
    '03 Black Elite
    80/100. The RockShox was crap start to finish: flexy,
    sticky, etc. I didn't keep it around long enough to
    vouch for its long-term health, but I haven't heard
    any good things.

    The Black has been perfect. Hundreds of offroad miles, no
    real maintenance, and no problems. I'd buy it again.

    Chris

  8. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > Anders wrote: <snip>
    >
    >>I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break
    >>after ½ year, a fork that can withstand rough driving in
    >>the forrest. A fork that is easy to service. But the main
    >>thing is that the fork is a quality fork!
    >>
    >>/Anders
    >

    > I have a 2001 Black Elite Air 80 mm and I love it. Stiff,
    > smooth, and plush. Never had a problem and I don't know
    > about servicing because I've only had to squirt a little
    > microlube in it and that's all the service I've done.
    >
    > Never had a Duke, but I think I heard they were crap from
    > someone here. You might want to search for it.
    >
    > Matt

    Wouldn't have heard it from me. I had two Duke Race forks
    (two bikes) and nothing but happy times with them. They were
    the first year (2002) of the Duke line. I put plenty of time
    in on those forks, and liked them quite a bit. They tracked
    as well as my Marzocchi X-Fly, but had better, more
    adjustable suspension and weighed half a pound less.

    Miles

  9. > Manitou: Not very durable with horrible customer service.
    > My fork broke, they basically told me tough **** and have
    > a nice day. My friends fork broke (exactly the same model,
    > broke in exactly the same place) and they replaced his
    > within a couple of days.

    These wouldn't happen to be a failure of the fork lowers
    right where the arch connects to the lower leg? 2003 reverse-
    arch models all had this problem because in shipping, when
    the fork/stem were flipped around to fit in the box, the
    reverse arch was the ONLY stressed part of the bike. The
    arch wasn't designed to take those stresses of shipping, and
    thus, the cracks formed very early on in the fork's life.
    Fortunately, I was able to get a new set of lowers and
    switch them out myself.

    Granted, I just broke my rebound damping about a week
    ago, but that doesn't really matter for the riding I do
    on that bike.

    Phil

  10. > Wouldn't have heard it from me. I had two Duke Race forks
    > (two bikes) and nothing but happy times with them. They
    > were the first year (2002) of the Duke line. I put plenty
    > of time in on those forks, and liked them quite a bit.
    > They tracked as well as my Marzocchi X-Fly, but had
    > better, more adjustable suspension and weighed half a
    > pound less.

    I had a Duke C 2002 for a year and never had any problems
    with it either. Held air fine, relatively low stiction, and
    pretty durable.

    Phil

  11. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "Anders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > HI
    >
    > Which one of these forks is the best one?:
    >
    > Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs. Manitou Black Elite
    > RTWD 2004

    avoid anything with the words "Rock" and "Shox"
    printed on it.

    cheers

  12. Gp-Tj

    Gp-Tj Guest

    "Anders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > > HI Which one of these forks is the best one?: Rock
    > > > Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs. Manitou Black Elite
    > > > RTWD 2004 The Duke is on this one: http://www.bike-/http://www.bike-
    > scount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
    > > > ikelID=7112&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1=1
    > > > And the Manitou is on this one: http://www.bike-/http://www.bike-
    > scount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&Art-
    > > > ikelID=6985&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1=1
    > > > Sincerely Anders
    > >

    > > What are you looking for in a fork? Lighter weight?
    > > Stiffness? Adjustability? Great Customer Service? Color?
    > > Price? What type of riding will you do?
    > >
    > > The "best one" will vary depending what you're looking
    > > for out of the fork.
    > >

    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for a good quality fork that doesn't break
    > after ½ year, a
    fork
    > that can withstand rough driving in the forrest. A fork
    > that is easy to service. But the main thing is that the
    > fork is a quality fork!
    >
    > /Anders

    See Marzocchi

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Anders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > HI
    >
    > Which one of these forks is the best one?:
    >
    > Rock Shox Duke XC 2004 U-Turn vs. Manitou Black Elite
    > RTWD 2004
    >
    > The Duke is on this one: http://www.bike-
    > discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&A-
    > rtikelID=7112&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1=1
    >
    > And the Manitou is on this one: http://www.bike-
    > discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1056298573&nav=Mehrinfo&A-
    > rtikelID=6985&Kategorie2=49&Hersteller=52&Kategorie1=1
    >

    > Sincerely Anders

    Dook = daily constitutional

    You should see the pile of broken manitudes at OTE in
    Fruita. I think there are about eight waiting for warranty
    replacement from breaking on the arch.

    Get a Bomber or a Fox.

    JD